Valravn (by EnaiSiaion)

D1Z4STR

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting a topic is probably not the best way to introduce yourself on a forum, but I'm genuinely curious about the reasons why this mod didn't get more consideration for the main list. Many EnaiSiaion's mods already made the list and I can't see any "polishing combat" mods in the present list. 

I apologize for digging up this old topic, thank you for taking the time to read my message. 

Edited by glandeuranon

56 minutes ago, glandeuranon said:

but I'm genuinely curious about the reasons why this mod didn't get more consideration for the main list

I would be interested too if there had been any prior discussions about the mod outside of this topic ...

One downside to the mod might be that it is not yet fully integrated with the Anniversary Edition, as per the author's post:

As Anniversary Edition makes Survival Mode available to all players, the next major update to Valravn will include Survival Mode specific features to implement a lightweight and clean injury system.

Edited by CorneliusC

I think in general the STEP team tries to avoid "overhaul"-type mods in the guide, particularly those which could potentially make the game more difficult to play, or to understand, compared to vanilla, as the guide's intended audience is the Skyrim user base at large.

By this principle, the presence of CACO, CCOR, Odin and Vokrii in the guide is questionable. I don't know the long history of the STEP guide, but I guess they've always been there and are part of the legacy. If they were evaluated today for inclusion, they might not make the cut.

Even though the aforementioned overhauls are "light" and fairly close to vanilla, they deviate from it quite a bit from in some aspects, and require a lot of reading and/or playing with them to familiarize oneself with their modified mechanics and new features. They're all very good mods which deepen the gameplay, but ultimately they're quite subjective. When you play with them, you're not playing Skyrim, you're playing the MA's game based on Skyrim.

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

I think in general the STEP team tries to avoid "overhaul"-type mods in the guide, particularly those which could potentially make the game more difficult to play, or to understand, compared to vanilla, as the guide's intended audience is the Skyrim user base at large.

By this principle, the presence of CACO, CCOR, Odin and Vokrii in the guide is questionable. I don't know the long history of the STEP guide, but I guess they've always been there and are part of the legacy. If they were evaluated today for inclusion, they might not make the cut.

Even though the aforementioned overhauls are "light" and fairly close to vanilla, they deviate from it quite a bit from in some aspects, and require a lot of reading and/or playing with them to familiarize oneself with their modified mechanics and new features. They're all very good mods which deepen the gameplay, but ultimately they're quite subjective. When you play with them, you're not playing Skyrim, you're playing the MA's game based on Skyrim.

Largely correct. Vokrii and Odin are recent additions and accepted, since they are vanilla-centric and relatively constrained augmentations to the magic system unlike most other magic overhauls.

2 hours ago, glandeuranon said:

If I'm beliving the forum information, the mod was accepted in may 2021. Are 2021 mods considered legacy ? 

WACCF/CCOR and to some extent CACO and TCIY are all legacy to Step primarily because kryptopyr used to be an active participant on this site, and her own agenda was to improve vanilla gameplay by basically 'completing' the shortcomings of Bethesda's implementations in these regards. They are all created by her and cohesive with her vision (and her patches more importantly). There is definitely a wide band of gray between 'vanilla', "enhanced vanilla", and an outright overhaul/reimagination. Some might be good for Step, but that requires a lot of evaluation and time to determine.

This is a combat overhaul that would probably require significant patching with the mods mentioned previously in play (which are limited, single-purpose overhauls). We would require intimate understanding of the departure from vanilla to assess, and there are plenty of other overhauls out there. People seem to like throwing them all together to get the "best of all worlds", but it never works out that way.

I favor overhauls like Requiem that basically overhaul almost every gameplay mechanic cohesively under a single banner, but it's not for Step.

Yes, I'm very sorry, I forgot to precice I was talking about Vokrii and Odin. 

Thank for your input, it's clearer now. It seems, EnaiSiaion is embrassing your "cohesively under a single banner" vision for his new mods. Although, I tend to prefer the Vanilla approach more, that's the reason I like Vokrii or Odin and I came to ask about Valravn in the first place. 

42 minutes ago, glandeuranon said:

Yes, I'm very sorry, I forgot to precice I was talking about Vokrii and Odin. 

Thank for your input, it's clearer now. It seems, EnaiSiaion is embrassing your "cohesively under a single banner" vision for his new mods. Although, I tend to prefer the Vanilla approach more, that's the reason I like Vokrii or Odin and I came to ask about Valravn in the first place. 

No apology necessary. I don't know anything about this mod other than what's on this topic and what little I got from my 10 second review of the Nexus page. This mod may be quite good ... or not. I just won't know unless I try it or learn so from others.

I have way too much to do for the current guide update (and the other modding cans of worms I have managed to open) to give this one the consideration that it would require ATM.

Feedback on these topics always helps though.