Step required mods that I don't want

steve50

Question

Hello,

I'm following newest STEP guide and the category 10-Gameplay-General contains extensions that are required by CR patch, but I don't really want to change those vanilla mechanics. Can I ignore installing those mods and somehow continue with the guide?

3 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, steve50 said:

Hello,

I'm following newest STEP guide and the category 10-Gameplay-General contains extensions that are required by CR patch, but I don't really want to change those vanilla mechanics. Can I ignore installing those mods and somehow continue with the guide?

You can either skip those required mods and remove their references from the patch yourself ... or don't use the patch and thus lose any of the incorporated functionality that the patch provides (e.g., the patch fully incorporates some mods not in the mod list to reduce plugin count).

First option is best. Simply install all mods as the guide instructs and mark those you don't want in MO mod name (e.g., 'DROP'), noting the plugin names for those mods. Sort with LOOT, load up all plugins in xEdit and find/remove the references from the noted "to-drop" plugins (you may need to forward some records, IDK). Then save the Step Patch and disable the offending mods. Otherwise, your game will most likely crash with the Step Patch.

Do as you like, but all 'changes' to vanilla mechanics are more fixes and corrections that are all "vanilla-friendly", so unless you know how to use xEdit, I would defer to the fact that @TechAngel85 is very familiar with vanilla lore and that the Step Mandate guides our decisions for the mod list and Tech's construction of the Step Patches.

18 minutes ago, steve50 said:

Thank you for the answer. The thing is I dislike adding new content (I really like pure vanilla) and this was my only concern. How can I remove references to other mods in those patches? Simply saving it without them in CK will work or is it more complicated?

As I explained, you will need to use xEdit to isolate the records in the Step Patch that are sourced in the plugins attached to mods you don't want. You shouldn't need to mess with the CK.

Tech will chime in if he has any specific instructions, but we don't support changes to our patches beyond pointing you in the right direction to DIY.

PS: any new content is relatively trivial and completely aligned with the vanilla game (and in most cases are arguably --based on in-game lore and references-- fixes to provide content that the original developers were too lazy to include)

23 minutes ago, z929669 said:

You can either skip those required mods and remove their references from the patch yourself ... or don't use the patch and thus lose any of the incorporated functionality that the patch provides (e.g., the patch fully incorporates some mods not in the mod list to reduce plugin count).

First option is best. Simply install all mods as the guide instructs and mark those you don't want in MO mod name (e.g., 'DROP'), noting the plugin names for those mods. Sort with LOOT, load up all plugins in xEdit and find/remove the references from the noted "to-drop" plugins (you may need to forward some records, IDK). Then save the Step Patch and disable the offending mods. Otherwise, your game will most likely crash with the Step Patch.

Do as you like, but all 'changes' to vanilla mechanics are more fixes and corrections that are all "vanilla-friendly", so unless you know how to use xEdit, I would defer to the fact that @TechAngel85 is very familiar with vanilla lore and that the Step Mandate guides our decisions for the mod list and Tech's construction of the Step Patches.

Thank you for the answer. The thing is I dislike adding new content (I really like pure vanilla) and this was my only concern. How can I remove references to other mods in those patches? Simply saving it without them in CK will work or is it more complicated?