overwrite file empty

moyer137

Just finished STEP 3 and cleaned the masters. Thought everything was going smooth but when it came time to open the overwrite folder in MO to replace data files, there was nothing in overwrite. I'm assuming I need to put something back into the data file, but I'm not sure what to do now or where I went wrong. I'm very new to all this and apologize in advance for my naivety.

2 hours ago, moyer137 said:

Just finished STEP 3 and cleaned the masters. Thought everything was going smooth but when it came time to open the overwrite folder in MO to replace data files, there was nothing in overwrite. I'm assuming I need to put something back into the data file, but I'm not sure what to do now or where I went wrong. I'm very new to all this and apologize in advance for my naivety.

These instructions are probably wrong here. Check for the files under "xEdit Output" mod created earlier and let us know if this is where you find them.

Sorry, but when I took those master files out of data they were all removed from the mods in MO. Replacing them brought them all back except for updates. I put the updates file back in data but I can't seem to get it to appear on MO again.

19 minutes ago, moyer137 said:

Sorry, but when I took those master files out of data they were all removed from the mods in MO. Replacing them brought them all back except for updates. I put the updates file back in data but I can't seem to get it to appear on MO again.

I believe the instructions say to take the backed up 'original' masters and move them into the game folder so that Steam sees they are the actual game files. the cleaned masters each become the first mods in MO mod list.

xEdit Output should contain the original masters as backups as well as the cleaned ones, but maybe the cleaned ones are in game folder. Either way, the originals need to go into game folder and cleaned ones into MO mod folder.

The shortest answer is to just NOT clean the masters. They don't need it, and we are removing these instructions in the next guide iteration.

I think I have all that right, but before I recall seeing updates under the mods in MO, but now it is not there anymore. I kept following the guide though and it said the there should be 5 in the list:xedit output, dawnguard, hearthfires, dragonborn and cleaned vanilla masters. That is how my MO is ordered now so I'm assuming it's ok without updates in there now. I might have just been confusing prior steps as I was backtracking.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:03 PM, z929669 said:

The shortest answer is to just NOT clean the masters. They don't need it, and we are removing these instructions in the next guide iteration.

Where can I read more about this subject?

I've tried the forum search but wasn't able to find a discussion about it.

Thanks in advance.