Relighting Skyrim and Open Cities Flickering Lights at Windhelm

gmahadhika91

Question

When exploring Windhelm with two said mods, sometimes there are some lights that flickers. Now I don't know if this still happens without OCS, but I'm not gonna troubleshoot that because generally I want both. However, what should I look in the cell to fix this? Maybe by deleting the lightbulb? Problem is, I don't know what record is a light bulb.

2 answers to this question

On 5/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, gmahadhika91 said:

When exploring Windhelm with two said mods, sometimes there are some lights that flickers. Now I don't know if this still happens without OCS, but I'm not gonna troubleshoot that because generally I want both. However, what should I look in the cell to fix this? Maybe by deleting the lightbulb? Problem is, I don't know what record is a light bulb.

First, I assume you are using a patch to make the mods work together? If you're not, that is likely your issue. If you are, then that patch needs to be updated to correct the issue. You see, the problem is RS adds new light references to locations and moves vanilla ones around. How Open Cities works is it takes all the references (including lights) that was in the vanilla location (it's own worldspace in vanilla) and puts those into the Tamriel worldspace. This change that OCS does accounts for all vanilla references.

But wait...what happens to the lights RS adds/move? They're not vanilla! Well, if their locations aren't changed to match the new locations of Open Cities (like with a patch), those new references are just left orphaned and you'll never see them when using OCS. Without a patch, you're actually using vanilla lighting in the exterior locations altered by Open Cities.

If you want to just fix it yourself, well doing that properly will take using the CK to switch out the light, move the light, reconfigure several lights to make that light work, etc...there could be several solutions. To just one and done it, as @RainingTacco mentions, just find it in the CK, double click on it, select "initially disabled" and save. I should mention if the light has a script or parent or child, then you might want to find another light to disable as that means it's attached to something else doing something else.