SSE - Dyndolod+Open Cities=overlapping LODs for Whiterun

DankTemplar

Question

Hey! I've been having this issue for well over a year; I follow the instructions for Dyndolod+Open Cities in the manual/from the GamerPoets web page, generate my LOD and get double LODs created for these cities and I could really use the help getting this nightmare fixed.

To clarify; the tutorial told me to;

1. Disable Open Cities+patches
  2. Run Dyndolod+select appropriate setting (high+custom tree and water LOD rules for getting rid of water LOD seams+generating 3D tree LODs which worked fantastically! Basically all I did was make use of the full models for water and used the appropriate static models for trees)
  3. Disable generate Dyndolod, enable the other options (except trees for me as generating 3D tree LODs means generate tree LOD is greyed out, per the manual instructions)
  4. Start+exit (not save+exit when complete)
  5. Comment out Open Cities from Dynodlolod_SSE.ini under the heading warnmodfilename+save document
  6. Re-enable Open Cities+patches in your load order
  7. Run Dyndolod+select identical setting which you selected in .2
  8. Enable generate Dyndolod, disable generate *insert option here*
  9. Start+save and exit when complete.
  10. Install via your method of choice.

I've also minded my load order since Dyndolod copies records from the last overriding file (this fixed my Solitude Open Cities LOD issue) but this hasn't fixed my Whiterun Open Cities LOD issue (and I've no city overhaul mods installed specifically for Whiterun so conflicting records in theory shouldn't be an issue here).

So....ummm...please help? lol

Attached is my load order in it's full glory!

LoadOrder_SkyrimSE_2021-04-16T14-39-55.txt

8 answers to this question

A list of plugins is not really a load order. Use modwatch for that which typically contains the list of plugins and the list of mods.

You have not described the issue very well. It is unclear which objects flicker or when they flicker.

Search the forum for similar threads. Often people only believe they followed the instructions correctly or the issue is something entirely unrelated to DynDOLOD, like the large reference bugs. Make sure to click low, high, medium in step 7 to load rules for the Open Cities plugin and check the log that they actually loaded.
Check the answers for DynDOLOD FAQ: Game: Out of place objects / floating objects / flickering full models.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheson said:

A list of plugins is not really a load order. Use modwatch for that which typically contains the list of plugins and the list of mods.

You have not described the issue very well. It is unclear which objects flicker or when they flicker.

Search the forum for similar threads. Often people only believe they followed the instructions correctly or the issue is something entirely unrelated to DynDOLOD, like the large reference bugs. Make sure to click low, high, medium in step 7 to load rules for the Open Cities plugin and check the log that they actually loaded.
Check the answers for DynDOLOD FAQ: Game: Out of place objects / floating objects / flickering full models.

Okay, my bad on the modwatch thing; The castle for Whiterun flickers until you get close. Thanks for taking the time to answer me, I'll try looking through the forums and see if anyone else has this issue.

That sounds exactly like large reference bugs. 

A: Flickering textures (full and LOD model showing at the same time) in the LOD area outside the active cells in Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR are caused by plugins triggering the large reference bugs as explained in DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html. Verify if the problem goes away by setting uLargeRefLODGridSize=5 in SkyrimPrefs.ini.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheson said:

That sounds exactly like large reference bugs. 

A: Flickering textures (full and LOD model showing at the same time) in the LOD area outside the active cells in Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR are caused by plugins triggering the large reference bugs as explained in DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html. Verify if the problem goes away by setting uLargeRefLODGridSize=5 in SkyrimPrefs.ini.

After I saw your post and you mentioning large reference; I decided to mess with that setting under prefs, turned it to 0. I still had flickering windows but that could be attributed to something else while the flickering LOD went away completely.

Since I'm also running that funky grass mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42161) which pre-caches all your grass and then cedes control of largeref grass to Dyndolod (grass for days at a reasonable performance cost my friend! It's glorious!) that felt like a huge, huge leap back in graphics.

Since it's a bug with the engine, unless you know of a magic fix, I guess I've 3 choices.

1. Enable all the precached grass, not allowing Dyndolod any control over it (8fps on an RTX 3080 lol)

2. Turn off or turn largeref down which screws with the funky grass mod.

or

3. Suck it up and deal with it; I'm lucky a coding wizard like yourself has managed to release such a sexy beast of an add-on for Skyrim in the 1st place.

Pretty sure option 3 is the best one here, lol.

Thanks for your help!

It sounds like you are confusing No Grass In Objects showing full meshes/textures render up to the edge of the large ref grid with grass LOD. DynDOLOD 3 alpha can generate grass LOD in object LOD with automatic billboard generated by TexGen. The grass LOD in object LOD can either start beyond the loaded cells or beyond the large ref grid size, regardless of its setting, e.g. if large ref grid is disabled, it simply means that grass LOD that was generated with the large ref option now also starts beyond the load cells.

Grass LOD in object LOD goes away with all other LOD if typing tll in console.

1. DynDOLOD does not control or do anything with the fully rendered grass inside the loaded cells or the large ref grid.

2. No Grass in Objects can also extend grass beyond the loaded cells regardless of the large ref grid size

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheson said:

It sounds you are confusing No Grass In Objects showing full meshes/textures render up to the edge of the large ref grid with grass LOD. DynDOLOD 3 alpha can generate grass LOD in object LOD with automatic billboard generated by TexGen. The grass LOD in object LOD can either start beyond the loaded cells or beyond the large ref grid size, regardless of its setting, e.g. if large ref grid is disabled, it simply means that grass LOD that was generated with the large ref option now also starts beyond the load cells.

Grass LOD in object LOD goes away with all other LOD if typing tll in console.

1. DynDOLOD does not control or do anything with the fully rendered grass inside the loaded cells or the large ref grid.

2. No Grass in Objects can also extend grass beyond the loaded cells regardless of the large ref grid size

Yeah, I'm probably absolutely using the wrong terminology. Luckily though, you get what I meant. No Grass in Objects and Dyndolod are the perfect playmates.