SKSE not loading mods properly.

ShadeRayne

Question

SSHello, I've been attempting for the past few days now to get into modding as a whole since I've gotten a PC.

I followed a guide on YT and have gotten everything down pact, but I've run into an issue.

When I try to load SK64 through MO2, it loads script extender but the rest of the mods do not load either.

I can provide Screenshots to help understand where I've run aground if that'll help.

I dunno if it's due to me not being signed into Bethesda.Net when it loads the start menu(doubted this was the reason since I'm using Nexus for mods), or that it was losing track of the mod files somewhere along the way somehow.

I'm new to this so it wouldn't surprise me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

post-15029-0-35566700-1577941602_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

You do not need to be authenticated with Bethesda.net, but there are some relatively common issues that can cause mods not to load properly:

Do not install the game into a UAC-controlled folder like C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Files in these folders have an extra layer of protection that can throw off Mod Organizer's virtual file system.

Do not install Mod Organizer into the Steam or Skyrim folder. This was somewhat common practice in a lot of guides years ago, but it's a really bad idea because Mod Organizer's virtual file system does not work correctly in this scenario.

Antivirus software (or even Windows 10 itself) may be blocking Mod Organizer's hooking process that prevents the virtual file system from working. This is commonly caused by blocked files or overly aggressive antivirus software. The first step is to open the Mod Organizer folder with File Explorer, right click ModOrganizer.exe, and click Properties. If you see an Unblock button or checkbox, click it and click OK to apply the changes. Note that if ModOrganizer.exe is blocked, you may need to repeat this for every *.dll in the Mod Organizer folder and all subfolders. You'll have to do this one file at a time because Microsoft does not provide any mechanism to unblock multiple files. If the mods still aren't loading, you might temporarily disable any antivirus software and try again.

You do not need to be authenticated with Bethesda.net, but there are some relatively common issues that can cause mods not to load properly:

Do not install the game into a UAC-controlled folder like C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Files in these folders have an extra layer of protection that can throw off Mod Organizer's virtual file system.

Do not install Mod Organizer into the Steam or Skyrim folder. This was somewhat common practice in a lot of guides years ago, but it's a really bad idea because Mod Organizer's virtual file system does not work correctly in this scenario.

Antivirus software (or even Windows 10 itself) may be blocking Mod Organizer's hooking process that prevents the virtual file system from working. This is commonly caused by blocked files or overly aggressive antivirus software. The first step is to open the Mod Organizer folder with File Explorer, right click ModOrganizer.exe, and click Properties. If you see an Unblock button or checkbox, click it and click OK to apply the changes. Note that if ModOrganizer.exe is blocked, you may need to repeat this for every *.dll in the Mod Organizer folder and all subfolders. You'll have to do this one file at a time because Microsoft does not provide any mechanism to unblock multiple files. If the mods still aren't loading, you might temporarily disable any antivirus software and try again.

So things like McAfee would cause an issue?

I'm currently moving my files from the SSD(C:) to my documents so they'll be in the same directory. 

I don't know if it'd be easier to just add them through desktop or it'd cause an issue.

Also, I'm running this on a Lenovo, dunno if that would mean any difference.

I also went to properties under MO2, but didn't find any means of unblocking or running some, "Always as Admin".

As for MO2, I have it under a seperate folder listed as "Modding Utilities".

I'm not sure which files you are moving to My Documents, but I wouldn't install Mod Organizer or any of the modding tools here. You can create a directory like C:\Games or C:\Tools and install the tools in this folder.

You also just reminded me another issue you may run into. The virtual file system will not work if you run Mod Organizer as a regular user and Mod Organizer runs SKSE or Skyrim as an administrator. This is because Windows prohibits a user process from hooking an admin process. You shouldn't need to run any of the tools or the game as an admin anyway.

I'm not sure which files you are moving to My Documents, but I wouldn't install Mod Organizer or any of the modding tools here. You can create a directory like C:\Games or C:\Tools and install the tools in this folder.

You also just reminded me another issue you may run into. The virtual file system will not work if you run Mod Organizer as a regular user and Mod Organizer runs SKSE or Skyrim as an administrator. This is because Windows prohibits a user process from hooking an admin process. You shouldn't need to run any of the tools or the game as an admin anyway.

Ah gotcha.

Well, I followed what you said and allowed everything to go trhough smoothly.

Thank you for the help. lol