Problem importing Racemenu created head into CK

DiscordOfSound

Question

Hello, I wanted to first say I'm pretty new to modding, at least heavy modding and wanted to start learning how to create an NPC as a follower. I was able to create my own "Hair" which is just leaves and import it into CK just fine, and finally into the game. However, now I am running into another problem that I've tried looking up solutions for. I created the NPC using racemenu and a Custom Races mod which allowed me to apply a custom face and body texture, then shaped the face just right. After that, I exported the head, saved the face as a preset, and used SPF to save the character as a .npc file.

Then, off to Creation kit I went. I followed the tutorials for creating a custom character and importing a custom head, however, when the head is imported, it is a mess and throws up several errors. The neck sits on top of the head and appears mangled. Then, when trying to apply the head while in the Actor tab, I'm left with hair, eyes and teeth, while the face is invisible. I have tried importing the .npc file as well, yet it does not change anything. I've ran the default face through NifMerge, however that does not seem to alter anything either. 

I've also saved the head under the regular nord race instead of the custom nord, yet even that doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as the head appears fine in NifScope. I've even tried importing the head to 3ds Max, and the head appears the same way as it does in CK, with the neck sitting on top of the head. I haven't made any changes to the .nif file other than making the correct texture paths. So I'm a bit stumped. I've considered copying and pasting just the face data in nifscope to a male head to see if there was something missing from the file. 

If anyone is able to help me get over this bump in the road, I'd really appreciate it. 

3 answers to this question

I wanted to update with a screenshot of Nifscope and what may be the cause of the issue. The head that was exported for some reason sits at base level, not head level where it should be. I'm trying to figure out how to center the head where it should be, like in the second window with a default head. 66042700_10156467427321662_1657631435206

Another update. I imported the head to 3dsMax and was able to place it where it should have been. Then, opening up NifScope, I added the correct paths for the textures and checked that it was indeed centered where it belonged. Now, I can import it into CK to the HeadParts. However, moving back into the Actor's tab, I am still unable to view the face, leaving only hair/eyes/mouth.

And yet another update. Well, I was  finally able to import the head. CK kept crashing and I decided to try copy and pasting NiTriShapeData from the head mod onto the male head, import the head into 3ds Max to get it positioned (otherwise it'll be a million miles above the body), exported that and finished getting all the textures filled in NifScope. Apparently if you use a head from ygNord, or custom Race, or anything that's not default, CK will crash when you try to view said head. 

So, that's one good thing. However, I'm still left with an odd issue. In the Head preview, I still can't view the head. It shows up in full preview, yet the head is set too far back, despite being manually moved to sit flush with the body in 3ds Max. So there is a very large neck gap, and the mouth/eyes are not in their proper locations. Hopefully I can find a fix for this.