xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 110 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

11 minutes ago, niston said:

But you said yourself: We're not looking at the same LOD level in the 2nd screenshot.
So the Game must be using a more detailed LOD level for the background scenery when there's only vanilla LOD. But it stops using that more detailed LOD level as soon as there are generated LOD files around.

Have you compared LOD level 4/8/16 BTOs contain what they should?

Following proper modding practice. Use a modding guide.  Use MO2, do not install the game into Program Filesx86 and do not have any loose files in the physical data folder.
Generate LOD into a dedicated output folder, pack  it and install it as a mod.
Test it with the vanilla game, no additional mods, not even the LOD stuff.

If then there still is a problem and the generated BTOs seem  fine, start by posting the xLODGen log.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

Is it possible that the options file with the setting to ignore water so that underwater faces are not removed is also used for terrain LOD generation and there ignore water mean to not generate water LOD. So generate object in on session with the options file and then in a new session generate terrain LOD without the options file. 

It's exactly as you predicted. If you use the option file with IgnoreWater=True, you get the mountain LOD underwater, but no water LOD, as seen in the first screenshot. If you don't use the option file, you get the underwater LOD, but the mountains are just triangles, as seen in the second screenshot. Any idea what we can do so we get both water LOD and the mountain LOD underwater?

One more issue: the water LOD doesn't seem to have the same transparency as normal water, meaning you still get a cutoff between the two. Is there anything I can do to make that better?

N79MS_SunkenRealm07.png

N79MS_SunkenRealm06.png

I have already packed the LOD files into two BA2 archives, Main and Textures and associated them with a plugin. I've further activated that plugin in the load order and removed the loose files. It made no difference, as described.

The generated 16.* LOD level BTOs look more detailed than the 32.* ones, as is presumably expected. In particular, they show the overpass pieces.

As a final measure, I removed ALL plugins from the load order (empty Plugins.txt) and ran LODGen. Applying these LOD files to the game, the result is the same: It is using Level 32 LOD and -as a result- entire buildings are missing from the presented scenery:

fsrDaky.png

Maybe also to note that the white/rusty skyscaper facade is purely statics. It is entirely missing from the 32 LOD as well.
Same for the black/dark gray building to the left of it.
Using the vanilla LOD, these buildings are there, just not very detailed - Which is why I propped them up with some statics.

The log file for this run can be found here:

https://x0.at/3Hv.txt

Makes me think this might well be a general problem. Probably just no one noticed it so far, because who goes to check out the Exterior LOD in Goodneighbor or some interior cell... I'd say if you were to install FO4 and run lodgen, you'd notice the same behavior in Goodneighbor, or Diamond City, or any Interior Cell that has Exterior LOD.

Edited by niston

6 hours ago, niston said:

Also I don't use a mod manager, so there are no virtual filesystem tricks involved or anything suchlike, which could be a source for confusion.

I would argue that something like MO or possibly Vortex would actually help with discovery. The VFS has never been an issue for me, so if others have issues, I suspect it's related to the OS config and UAC. If not using a mod manager, I think it is easier to miss things and harder to leave orphaned files and other junk in the load order. It's just cleaner, IMHO.

Perhaps try this approach from scratch, and you may find something. That right Data pane in MO is pretty informative, as is the conflict tracing in the mods themselves.

PS: sorry, I'm off topic. Just suggesting this as a means to resolve your issue and either confirm your suspicions or rule out the LOD generation. Carry on!

7 hours ago, OregonPete said:

Any idea what we can do so we get both water LOD and the mountain LOD underwater?

As I said, generate object LOD in one session and the terrain LOD in another.

7 hours ago, OregonPete said:

One more issue: the water LOD doesn't seem to have the same transparency as normal water, meaning you still get a cutoff between the two. Is there anything I can do to make that better?

No clue, especially if it is the same water record. It's probably because of the LOD shader being different to the full water shader.

You probably have find to a trick, like placing water meshes directly with the IsFullLOD flag that cover each cell, or one large mesh that covers the entire area, or maybe just add reference that only have faces downwards just right below the water level.

As a final measure, I removed ALL plugins from the load order (empty Plugins.txt) and ran LODGen. Applying these LOD files to the game, the result is the same.

That sounds like that once the game was started, plugins/mods are active again. You still seem to assume the generated LOD making the game doing things differently, despite by now you hopefully have compared many different BTOs that they actually contain what they are supposed to contain. Especially LOD level 4 which is the nearest LOD level.

It is using Level 32 LOD and -as a result- entire buildings are missing from the presented scenery:

fsrDaky.png

That LOD we can see is not object LOD level 32, obviously. This just looks like a cell does not have full models defined and its LOD is disabled.
That is probably because you have a mod that disables LOD for that cell in order to show full models instead. You have to add reference for all buildings of the entire cell obviously.

The log file for this run can be found here:

Generate LOD into a dedicated output folder. Pack it and install as a mod. The game should not be installed into special Windows folders so avoid permission/access problems because of UAC, antivir etc.

I think we established affirmatively that, what is being shown is LOD Level 32 in fact - by adding a single Overpass piece to that LOD level (giving it a Level 3 mesh to use) and it promptly showing up in the presented scenery after regenerating LOD. If I remove the Level 3 mesh from that piece of overpass STAT and regenerate the LOD once more, the piece has vanished again from the scenery. Now if something appears or vanishes, depending on if it has a Level 3 mesh - What kind of LOD level are we looking at then, if not Level 3 (32)?

We've also checked out a bunch of BTO files, and they look like their vanilla counterparts (except for where changes were made, like the Airport, or that Overpass Piece). What's more, the BTO for 32 LOD Level look like the LOD we see, missing most buildings and -most notably- the overpass pieces!

I've thought about a potential mod that maybe hides LOD. But, even ignoring the fact that the only mod for this particular rexford interior cell in my LO is my own, which really does quite the opposite of hiding LOD,  the theory doesn't hold for various reasons.

In the beginning, we've done testing with absolutely no changes to the load order or to any settings, only adding/removing generated LOD. Yet we observe and documented a rather striking difference between vanilla LOD and generated LOD, only and solely depending on generated LOD files being present or not. If that hypothetical mod which hides LOD existed in my LO, it would have been active all the time and thus also hidden the LOD in the vanilla screenshots. Which is quite obviously not the case. So it's unlikely to be a runtime setting that causes it. 

I've also generated LOD with zero plugins active, but the result is unchanged. So it's not a design (generation) time thing either and becomes really extremely unlikely to be a plugin causing it at all. And for the sake of completeness, I just tried one last thing, which is to apply LOD that has been generated with zero plugins active, to a game that has zero plugins active. I coc'd to the rexford cell, used TFC and went up a bit. What we see is this:

frdFds0.png

I then removed the generated LOD, coc'd to the same goodneighborhotelrexford cell, used TFC and went up a bit, to see this:

0j182RT.png

We observe the very same discrepancy in level of detail, in a game with zero plugins, using a LOD that was generated with zero plugins active. 
So, No. It's not a mod doing this.

Furthermore, as reported earlier, this strange behavior is not limited to this particular cell. We can observe it in Diamond City, we can observe it in Goodneighbor, we can observe it in Interior Cells that have Exterior LOD. It's really the common denominator here; All these places use Exterior (Commonwealth) LOD.

Meanwhile, it appears that "game world" LOD, ie not the Exterior LOD of an interior cell, is working perfectly fine/same as vanilla. There is no discernable discrepancy looking at the Boston Skyline from Fort Strong, whether there is new LOD installed or not. Nothing is missing from the scenery.

Now I can accept the fact that the observed behavior cannot be rationally explained atm. I will keep you posted, should I find out more.

Edited by niston

30 minutes ago, niston said:

I think we established affirmatively that, what is being shown is LOD Level 32 in fact - by adding a single Overpass piece to that LOD level (giving it a Level 3 mesh to use) and it promptly showing up in the presented scenery after regenerating LOD. If I remove the Level 3 mesh from that piece of overpass STAT and regenerate the LOD once more, the piece has vanished again from the scenery. Now if something appears or vanishes, depending on if it has a Level 3 mesh - What kind of LOD level are we looking at then, if not Level 3 (32)?

We've also checked out a bunch of BTO files, and they look like their vanilla counterparts (except for where changes were made, like the Airport, or that Overpass Piece).

I've thought about a potential mod that maybe hides LOD. But, even ignoring the fact that the only mod for this particular rexford interior cell in my LO is my own, which really does quite the opposite of hiding LOD,  the theory doesn't hold for various reasons.

In the beginning, we've done testing with absolutely no changes to the load order or to any settings, only adding/removing generated LOD. Yet we observe and documented a rather striking difference between vanilla LOD and generated LOD, only and solely depending on generated LOD files being present or not. If that hypothetical mod which hides LOD existed in my LO, it would have been active all the time and thus also hidden the LOD in the vanilla screenshots. Which is quite obviously not the case. So it's unlikely to be a runtime setting that causes it. 

I've also generated LOD with zero plugins active, but the result is unchanged. So it's not a design (generation) time thing either and becomes really extremely unlikely to be a plugin causing it at all. And for the sake of completeness, I just tried one last thing, which is to apply LOD that has been generated with zero plugins active, to a game that has zero plugins active. I coc'd to the rexford cell, used TCF and went up a bit. What we see is this:

frdFds0.png

I then removed the generated LOD, coc'd to the same goodneighborhotelrexford cell, used TFC and went up a bit, to see this:

0j182RT.png

We observe the very same discrepancy in level of detail, in a game with zero plugins, using a LOD that was generated with zero plugins active. 
So, No. It's not a mod doing this.

Furthermore, as reported earlier, this strange behavior is not limited to this particular cell. We can observe it in Diamond City, we can observe it in Goodneighbor, we can observe it in Interior Cells that have Exterior LOD. It's really the common denominator here; All these places use Commonwealth LOD.

Now I can accept the fact that the observed behavior cannot be rationally explained atm. I will keep you posted, should I find out more.

The first screenshot has way too many structures to be one of the 4 LOD level 32 files, no?
The one you posted has the most structures of the 4 files. The screenshot shows way more things.

Are there any other people having similar issues with their load order?

If you believe there is something going on with the LOD meshes, then I suggest to actually start troubleshooting that.
For example, identify which LOD level 4 BTO is supposed to show there immediately beyond the loaded cells. Then add more LOD level 4 BTO for the surrounding area maybe. Then add LOD Level 8 meshes. Or maybe vice versa, start with adding only LOD Level 32 BTO and then go down.
Maybe you identify a single file.

Maybe compare BTO closer than just visually. Like the additional settings and values in the NIF blocks that are not vertex data/shader/texture.

3 hours ago, niston said:

Test generating object LOD with the checkbox "No vertex colors" checked. 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:12 AM, OregonPete said:

Any idea what we can do so we get both water LOD and the mountain LOD underwater?

xLODGen beta 82 now expects and uses a different options file name for terrain LOD generation to avoid conflicts of options and having to generate LOD in two separate sessions.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:10 AM, sheson said:

As I said, generate object LOD in one session and the terrain LOD in another.

No clue, especially if it is the same water record. It's probably because of the LOD shader being different to the full water shader.

You probably have find to a trick, like placing water meshes directly with the IsFullLOD flag that cover each cell, or one large mesh that covers the entire area, or maybe just add reference that only have faces downwards just right below the water level.

Sorry, must have misread what you wrote regarding generating object LOD in one and terrain LOD in another session. I'll certainly give that a try. 

Yeah, getting the water LOD to be transparent from below might be tricky. I'll have to think about that. I think the water meshes can't be scaled larger than 10x10, at least that's the restriction I get in the interior cells. Wish we had a IsFullLOD option for worldspace water in the CK,

14 minutes ago, OregonPete said:

Sorry, must have misread what you wrote regarding generating object LOD in one and terrain LOD in another session. I'll certainly give that a try. 

Yeah, getting the water LOD to be transparent from below might be tricky. I'll have to think about that. I think the water meshes can't be scaled larger than 10x10, at least that's the restriction I get in the interior cells. Wish we had a IsFullLOD option for worldspace water in the CK,

You can just place a mesh of any size and set its FullLODFlag and make it persistent.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I was using fo4 lodgen and everything was fine until I decided to regenerate the lod again (I had already done it several times without problems). The downside is that the Commonwealth option is no longer available as a selectable worldspace.
I would like some help as I am totally lost in this.

3 hours ago, Zorak22 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I was using fo4 lodgen and everything was fine until I decided to regenerate the lod again (I had already done it several times without problems). The downside is that the Commonwealth option is no longer available as a selectable worldspace.
I would like some help as I am totally lost in this.

Read the text at the bottom of the xLODGen options screen. If a worldspace is not shown, then most likely there is no lodsettings file for it.
Most likely the games BA2 files are not loaded because of a messed up INI or a problem with the used mod manager.

Use xEdit Asset Browser (CTRL+F3) to filter for the lodsettings files to see which ones are available.

Have some news regarding the exterior LOD issue.

I managed to find someone else with custom Commonwealth LOD installed, and I asked them to verify if they can see the Mass Fusion building from inside Diamond City. They can't see it.

WIth vanilla LOD, that building is visible from there.

I have also undertaken extensive vertibird flights over the map, with custom LOD installed. I could not discern any defects in the custom LOD for the Worldspace.

Edited by niston