Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

that could be it yes you need to make sure you are actaully replacing the plugins so the means unhiding the merged plugins first

Yes thats right. But its confusing. You have to unhide First and than replace.

But normally we ONLY unhide merged mods while merging step AFTER doing update step.and there is the mistake. the old esp is overwriting the new one. You know i mean ? :)

Merge Hide doesn't work for me.  When I click on it, it shows that my plugins are already inactive and the disable option is grayed out.

I've been moving my plugins by double-clicking and moving them to the options folder.  However, I'm getting close to finishing the guide.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling meticulously following the guide.

By doing what you list in the second paragraph above, you are doing what Hide Merge is supposed to do. So, naturally, it's not going to do what you've already done... which means that it's working exactly as intended. You don't need to move them to the Optional folder by hand... that's the purpose of the plugin.

just stick with v1.5.62 and use older versions until SKSE mod update

*sniff* Skyrim updated just as I finished following the list up to the Finishing Line, and I hadn't thought to disable the updates yet.

Welp, I guess I at least know that crashing on start-up was possibly not due to misreading of instructions. Huzzah?

By doing what you list in the second paragraph above, you are doing what Hide Merge is supposed to do. So, naturally, it's not going to do what you've already done... which means that it's working exactly as intended. You don't need to move them to the Optional folder by hand... that's the purpose of the plugin.

Thank you for your timely response. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.  I'm only moving them by hand because the Hide Merge didn't work.  I tried to use the tool first, then resorted to the manual method when it didn't give me the option to disable the plugins that way.  I am watching PhoenixSun001's videos and my first attempts were to do it exactly as he did it, but my Merge Hide didn't give me the same option, so I reread the guide and it said it could be done manually.   

*sniff* Skyrim updated just as I finished following the list up to the Finishing Line, and I hadn't thought to disable the updates yet.

Welp, I guess I at least know that crashing on start-up was possibly not due to misreading of instructions. Huzzah?

The good news is that its fairly easy to get the old .exe back. Here's a link to a guide:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19658