Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

It's one way of doing it. Head parts can't be processed with the same parameters as other meshes, so NIF optimizer gives you the option to do it separately. If you process head parts FIRST (this is important) by ticking the "head parts only" option, the second run on the same folder/subfolders will ignore those because they're already optimized, so just UNCHECK "head parts only" and do a second run.

The other way is to process the subfolders insider the main meshes folder separately, carefully picking the ones containing head parts and doing those with "head parts only" selected, and the others without (I think this is what Weasel did in the first video I watched for this). But this is very prone to error and I've never been sure of which meshes are "head parts" (should be facegen only, but what about hairs and stuff?). So the two step using the "recursive folders" option on both steps and processing from the main meshes folder is the best way to go, just never forget to do head parts first. Once those are optimized, you can optimize a second time and the program will ignore the meshes that have already been optimized. You can verify all of this by checking the log file in the NIF optimizer folder after each run.

Hrm.. I don't read it that way.  I read it to say, ONLY use this check box if you have selected a directory to optimize that contains head component meshes like, the FaceGenData folder.

In fact, when you hover over the red text in SSE NIF Optimizer, you get a popup that reads, "Use this for ONLY head parts, such as head, ear, mouth and hair meshes"

Am I misunderstanding what your saying on how to do this?  If I hear you right, you're indicating that SSE NIF Optimizer will 'selectively' ONLY edit head parts if you check that box?

On that premise, I just tested it by putting some FaceGenData(Heads) Meshes folder, furniture and armor folders in a new temp\mesh directory making sure to keep the original folder format.  The first time I just put a check in the checkbox by 'Head Parts Only" then ran it.  It edited every kind of file.  Facegen, armors, furniture etc.  The files dates and sizes all updated.  The log reflected they had been edited.

I then went back with a fresh copy of mesh files and this time, uncheck all the other boxes except 'Head Parts Only'.  I ran it and again, everything got edited and the log reflected.

I would love to have a new method where I don't have to optimiz individual directories but, I don't think the tool supports that if you have facegen data in one of the sub dir's.

Am I missing something?  

-Xaxilis

Edited by Xaxilis

you know guys at the point i think i should relent and dump Massive NPC Facelift Overhaul and switch to Windsong. It is too much of a faff to deal with as it clearly is a bad port.

Edit: if I was to go with Windsong that would mean the entire ++++Skin and Body++++ Section would have to go. I would have to supply a new merge and redo the NPC CR.

• +1 1

I would love to have a new method where I don't have to optimiz individual directories but, I don't think the tool supports that if you have facegen data in one of the sub dir's.

Am I missing something?  

-Xaxilis

Maybe this tutorial can help you..An easier way is to first run nif optimizer with "head parts" checked ONLY to facegen data files (head, hair, ears, mouth..)...after you can run without the "head parts" on the entire meshes folder

you know guys at the point i think i should relent and dump Massive NPC Facelift Overhaul and switch to Windsong. It is too much of a faff to deal with as it clearly is a bad port.

Edit: if I was to go with Windsong that would mean the entire ++++Skin and Body++++ Section would have to go. I would have to supply a new merge and redo the NPC CR.

First, I too was skeptic about WICO, but you can use skin mods on top of it if you don't like the changes it make..so you can just add it in Massive Facelift place ..(who already needed something like the WICO script or AT quickchange to clear those edits and forward ussep, crf, endgame etc...like I said to much the hassle)...So you can use everything from  skin and body section on top of it..

Simple Face to Face Conversation 

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15223?tab=posts

Didn't test it yet.

Posted a few days ago about it..works well :) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15223?tab=files bonus..this version is dll only..so one extra slot :D

Edited by mavanaic

I got it installed works very well I used the one from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14963? but looks like the mod author has moved to it own page now.

Maybe this tutorial can help you..An easier way is to first run nif optimizer with "head parts" checked ONLY to facegen data files (head, hair, ears, mouth..)...after you can run without the "head parts" on the entire meshes folder

First, I too was skeptic about WICO, but you can use skin mods on top of it if you don't like the changes it make..so you can just add it in Massive Facelift place ..(who already needed something like the WICO script or AT quickchange to clear those edits and forward ussep, crf, endgame etc...like I said to much the hassle)...So you can use everything from  skin and body section on top of it..

Posted a few days ago about it..works well :) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15223?tab=files bonus..this version is dll only..so one extra slot :D

Cool will definitely use it, Oblivion was my first TES game and I missed that feature.

Cool as I do prefer the skin textures we already got but I stick with the UNP body from Windsong instead of going UNPB (there much difference really only slightly bigger boobs).

SO far i am thinking we replace Massive NPC Facelift Overhaul with Windsong (and use that as our new base) + The Ordinary Women + Fresh Faces + Bijin + the 3DNPC Overhaul (I newly Spotted) I'll create a new merge and Darth said he'll sort a new NPC CR. I we will have extract windsong BSAs (All the other come loose anyway) and maybe even push the section slight up the install guide maybe above ++++Beards, Brows, and Hair++++ Section so those overwrite Windsong? I will remove the UNPB body + switch any UNPB related stuff to bog standard UNP.

That I think will put us in good stead for the future. Also for reference I am not too concerned about the difference between this guide and the classic one if things need to chance they need to change.

Cool as I do prefer the skin textures we already got but I stick with the UNP body from Windsong instead of going UNPB (there much difference really only slightly bigger boobs).

SO far i am thinking we replace Massive NPC Facelift Overhaul with Windsong (and use that as our new base) + The Ordinary Women + Fresh Faces + Bijin + the 3DNPC Overhaul (I newly Spotted) I'll create a new merge and Darth said he'll sort a new NPC CR. I we will have extract windsong BSAs (All the other come loose anyway) and maybe even push the section slight up the install guide maybe above ++++Beards, Brows, and Hair++++ Section so those overwrite Windsong? I will remove the UNPB body + switch any UNPB related stuff to bog standard UNP.

That I think will put us in good stead for the future. Also for reference I am not too concerned about the difference between this guide and the classic one if things need to chance they need to change.

Yes..WICO alone without anything it's a great overhaul..just look at the character presets ..but the extra added to the skin and body section won't do any harm..Maybe add this too..see if it helps (should work for mature, wico, etc...) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8347

You can add EEO if you want too without much of a hassle,,but remember when making the CR to include the race edits made by it...

On the merge thing...still don't understand how you didn't get gray/black face bugs since you have multiple mods with facegen unless you deleted those meshes (the combination should guarantee that)..but maybe you did something to please the divines :D

Hrm.. I don't read it that way.  I read it to say, ONLY use this check box if you have selected a directory to optimize that contains head component meshes like, the FaceGenData folder.

In fact, when you hover over the red text in SSE NIF Optimizer, you get a popup that reads, "Use this for ONLY head parts, such as head, ear, mouth and hair meshes"

Am I misunderstanding what your saying on how to do this?  If I hear you right, you're indicating that SSE NIF Optimizer will 'selectively' ONLY edit head parts if you check that box?

On that premise, I just tested it by putting some FaceGenData(Heads) Meshes folder, furniture and armor folders in a new temp\mesh directory making sure to keep the original folder format.  The first time I just put a check in the checkbox by 'Head Parts Only" then ran it.  It edited every kind of file.  Facegen, armors, furniture etc.  The files dates and sizes all updated.  The log reflected they had been edited.

I then went back with a fresh copy of mesh files and this time, uncheck all the other boxes except 'Head Parts Only'.  I ran it and again, everything got edited and the log reflected.

Am I missing something?  

-Xaxilis

Then you must be right. In fact I always did like you say and only read you could do it in bulk. I guess I was being too optimistic! That brings back another problem, the hover text you quoted is also the only indication I have on what constitutes head parts: "Use this for ONLY head parts, such as head, ear, mouth and hair meshes". It gives me little consolation that they say "such as", as it doesn't imply that "head, ear, mouth and hair meshes" are all the head parts there is. And where exactly ARE those meshes? I assume the whole lot under "facegen" is always to be processed as head parts. But "hairs" are packed everywhere possible by different authors (but mostly in its own folder next to armors, body, etc). It's a mess that the CK doesn't force authors to pack those meshes in some particular way. You need to inspect the whole lot of meshes and, as I've been doing, sometimes move folders around so you can recursively process the remainder instead of going into each individual folder. For example, many mods have a character folder inside the meshes folder, with body parts directly inside it and then armors, hairs, even weapons foders and whatever you can think of. If you want to process the body parts and NOT hairs, you need to disable "recursive" when you process the parent character folder (so you get the nifs directly in that folder), then process each of the contained folders individually, according to its type of mesh. Or you move the head parts, like hairs, one level up, process them separately and then the character folder recursively, then move the head parts back in. Either way, it's very prone to error. And I have INDEED read in places that you DON'T process hairs as head parts! One of these is a user who has almost 300 follower ports on nexus. That's 2% of the currently available files for the SE. Makes you realize why so many mods aren't well ported at all, even though the files I've used from this user seem to work fine, even against my own ports that weren't so good. And what about other meshes, are helmets and circlets and earrings also considererd "head parts"? Where's the definitive list and, by the way, a justification for this differentiated processing so we can know what we're doing... I guess I'll have to dig further and not be satisfied with any one guide. Thanks for your thorough testing to clear this out.

Edited by godescalcus

did the same test this morning and same result

this also means that it should be better, for the alpha guide installation we have, to reinstall each mod  where such optimization were required and restart it but this time based on subdirectory.

Hey mavanaic,

Thanks for your reply however, that is exactly what I'm saying does NOT work.  Please read all my post as I state that I've tested that method.

It seems there is some broad confusion about what the "Head Parts Only" check box does.  I've tested and it does not selectively only edit head parts. 

It means when you have that box checked, you should ONLY target NIF Optimizer at directories containing head parts and when it is NOT checked you should not target directories that have head parts.

-Xaxilis

Edited by Xaxilis

OK guys what we really could do with is workout 100% if a mod actually does need optimizing cos at the moment I am saying every mod from classic need the meshes run through SSE NIF Optimizer but that may not be the case maybe. if it does we optimize if it doesn't we don't bother.

I lack the knowledge on meshes to make an informed assessment so I have gone with the general recommendation of the community.