General questions about TES5 Step Core / Enhanced

sicney

hi,

I searched the forums for answers, but couldnt find some suitable for my questions. I tried to install all 200+ Mods of STEP Enhanced for three times now, and I continue to fail.

Step Core / Enhanced: How can I use Step Core as a base for STEP Enhanced ? The order of installation won´t be the same order as it is shown in the guide, i.e. if i install STEP Core first and then Enhanced, texture packs like Amidian Born could not be overwritten like it its mentioned in the guide, because they will be installed after all Core Mods. Or am I thinking wrong ??

Language: There is nothing about it in the step guide. I am a german player, but it would be no problem to play in englisch language - there is just no information about it - I know from some of my old modding collections / builds that anything other than ENGLISCH in the language section of Skyrim.ini would crash the game immediatly. So whats the advise here ?

missing mods: I got to the section where I had to install the STEP patches - Enhanced wasn´t possible for me - because of mods missing. And yes, on my way down to the step patches , there were two or three mods missing on their nexus sites - frost astronach and two other that I simply forgot to write down, I will do it on my next try. Is there some way of workaround for the step enhanced patch, if it isnt possible to download required mods anymore ?

Benchmark / Test: After almost every section of the STEP Guide, there is a big BENCHMARK sign. For me, as a computer scientist it is pretty clear that you have to test a modded game from time to time after installing more mods - But how could this work ?? There are many mods in the guide that require (step) patching before the game would run / start properly. So how could I start it i.e. after installing 2H Characters & Creatures, when the STEP patches that are already required for some mods till there, are far far away on the guides mod list ? Makes little to no sense to me, and the game always CTDs in the first two seconds of starting, so I thought: OK, skyrim simply can´t start because of so many mods that hadnt been patched, so I am able to test at the end. How should this work ?

I am nearly getting desperate here, do you have some answers for me ?

thanks in advance

Edited by sicney

Something that just has to be said: GREAT WORK although, creating such a large collection and gathering it in an overhaul that enhances the game in this way is JUST AWESOME. THANKS for your thousands of hours of time that it took everyone involved to create. Really, really great project.

( wasnt able to edit my last post anymore )

Edited by sicney

STEP: Extended mods should be installed (activated in Mod Organizers LEFT pane) in the same order as they appear in the guide, not after your STEP: Core installation.  

All mods in the guide should be ordered in MO's LEFT pane exactly as they appear in the guide.  

If you are getting repeatable CTD's at any of the benchmarks it's because you have made an error in your installation before that point, which is one of the main reasons behind the benchmark.  It is not likely that the STEP patches will 'cure' CTD's.  The purpose of the patches is mostly consistency.

As for missing mods - I don't have the guide installed as I do my own thing, but the staff here keep the guide up to date for the most part and I find it unlikely there are mods listed that are not available.  Are you certain you are using the correct version of the guide?  STEP v2.10.0

In general, from your questions I would say that you have missed out on many things that are spelled out pretty clearly in the guide.  I would suggest going back to the guide, reading everything carefully and trying to figure out where you've gone wrong.  If that doesn't help, do a clean install and start the guide from the beginning, really making sure to read everything.

Ok - so I thought, if youre installing the core you only download and install the core mods - but you said I should install them but just leave them unchecked in MOs mod list.

Whether installing STEP:Core or STEP:Extended, install mods in the order that they are presented in the mod tables to achieve the correct result.

So for me, there is no information for me what to do with the mods of STEP:Extended if I only want to install STEP:Core ( and maybe Extended after it ), I would have just left them out after that advise and installed only the core mods. But Thanks for your advise that I was wrong.

I also thought that installing them in the order of the STEP guide is just a thing of overwriting files, and the corrent sorting is done by LOOT and the priority rules of many mods ( that I checked and edited very carefully )

Mods should be installed in the order that they are listed to ensure that mods further down the list overwrite those occurring before them. This is necessary to ensure the desired in-game effect.

so there is nothing about sorting for yourself. Just wondered

You were also right with the missing mod, there was one tab out of 3 with an older version of STEP opened - damn :D :D

any advise for my language issue ?  

thanks very much for your response

Edited by sicney

If you only want to install STEP: Core, only install those mods.  Don't install any of the mods from STEP: Extended.

It seems like you're misunderstanding one of the greatest benefits of using Mod Organizer; after installing, you can simply drag a mod to any spot in your installation (in MO's LEFT pane) and MO will automatically adjust file priority.  It is the placement in MO's left pane that is important, not specific installation order.  

*So long as you install the mods following the guides instructions - ie. selecting the same installer options, making sure you're d/l'ing and installing the correct files/versions, etc.

So if you install STEP: Core and find yourself wanting to install Extended, you can simply install said mods in MO afterward, then drag them to their correct placement in the guide / MO's left pane.

Unfortunately I'm an English speaker and don't know anything about how different languages work with Skyrim.

Edited by baronaatista