STEP v2.10.0 Released

TechAngel85

I LOVE the STEP guide, a funny note on this. I completed its previous version, in what must have been within a few hours of the new version's release. HA. Anyway, I had a couple of questions: 1) Anyone with experience with STEP could provide insight on my laptop handling STEP: Extended with all HD textures at max available where applicable. It is a beast, MSI (The Pro Version), but modding at this level.... It handled the outdated version of STEP seemingly fine. Though, when modding even further with CBBE, Bodyslider studio, and HDT Hairstyles and what not, was very unstable and would CTD for anyone of several events. I tried to insert those mods to where they would seeming fit within the now outdated version of STEP, anyway, I have completely removed every trace of everything off of my computer to begin the new release of STEP: Extended, fresh beginning with reinstalling Steam. Please any advice or concerns on my laptops ability to run Step Extended with Max HD everything and the incorporation of the three mods I wish to include... Please let me know! And to you gentlemen who compile and maintain... I salute you.

I LOVE the STEP guide, a funny note on this. I completed its previous version, in what must have been within a few hours of the new version's release. HA. Anyway, I had a couple of questions: 1) Anyone with experience with STEP could provide insight on my laptop handling STEP: Extended with all HD textures at max available where applicable. It is a beast, MSI (The Pro Version), but modding at this level.... It handled the outdated version of STEP seemingly fine. Though, when modding even further with CBBE, Bodyslider studio, and HDT Hairstyles and what not, was very unstable and would CTD for anyone of several events. I tried to insert those mods to where they would seeming fit within the now outdated version of STEP, anyway, I have completely removed every trace of everything off of my computer to begin the new release of STEP: Extended, fresh beginning with reinstalling Steam. Please any advice or concerns on my laptops ability to run Step Extended with Max HD everything and the incorporation of the three mods I wish to include... Please let me know! And to you gentlemen who compile and maintain... I salute you.

That laptop will handle STEP Extended pretty well. Even with SRO using 4k textures it won't matter. 

That laptop will handle STEP Extended pretty well. Even with SRO using 4k textures it won't matter. 

You should be able to run it just fine. Your crashes were likely due to conflicts rather than hardware limitations.

I appreciate the input! I am diving in right now. When I work out the extra mods (CBBE, BodySlide, HDT Physics, HDT Hair) I will be sure to post, as I have seen that a few others have had similiar questions.

I finally finished my initial STEP:2.10-guided installation, and I am VERY pleased with the results.  The wagon ride into Helgen was amazing: I've seen the transition from the 'black-and-white' used at the beginning to the game's full color many times before, but this time it almost seemed to pop.  I felt like I could reach out and touch General Tullius and the Thalmor Emissary, Elenwen, as the wagon rolled past them.  Everything in and around Helgen seemed much cleaner and more defined.  I look forward to playing the game.

'Thank You Very Much' to everyone who helped make this release possible: TechAngel85, EssArrBee, phazer, Kelmych, Greg and other Mods, and the STEP community as a whole!

thankyou.png

Excuse me if this information has been posted somewhere already because I can't find it anywhere but is STEP currently compatible with the Special Edition? I assume it depends on what mods have been ported over for it but I'd like to know if should use Special Edition (x64) or Legendary Edition (x86) when doing my STEP configuration.

Another question I'd like to ask is how compatible UNP/CBBE is with the rest of STEP mods and what conflicts to look out for.

Lastly, are there any special conflicts I should look out for when using game-changing mods (mostly from GEMS but possibly some from LoversLab too) or should I be fine with any, seeing as STEP is intended as just graphical overhaul pack?

Thank you for your answers and again, I apologize if I missed any of the info already posted somewhere, I couldn't find it.

STEP is designed for the original Legendary Edition of the game, not the Special Edition.

You can use CBBE or UNP, but you will need to install the character changing mods with those options (for example WSCO, FAR, etc.). You will also need to install clothing and armor replacers as you normally would with UNP or CBBE.

As far as adding other mods...best thing is to check for conflicts in xEdit and make yourself a custom conflict resolution patch. Try not to add things that affect the same area of the game. Some things will be easier to add than others. But that is beyond the scope of STEP.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for asking, but I'm a bit "lost" on the STEP Guide.

I carefully red and installed everything on this webpage => https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.10.0 but now I'm lost. For example, several mods need to use MCM but MCM isn't mentionned as a download (I'm gonna download it anyway). Also, there is nothing regarding mods like Overhauls etc.

Since this is my first time using STEP : am I missing something ? Like another webpage ? Sorry for asking but it is my first time navigating through the STEP website and I'm not really understanding how the site works :D

MCM is the mod configuration menu provided by SkyUI in 2.E Interface. The STEP Guide provides mods that enhance the vanilla game while staying as close to vanilla as possible and can be used as a base for packs to build on.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there really not a delta release for 2.10b of the Compilation Installer, or am I just missing something?

I downloaded 2.10a (~700MB) a few weeks ago, and now I see there's a ~490MB release 2.10b, and this is the change note:

Version 2.10.0b

This update is only for the Normal Res version of the Compilation. It adds in 3 missing textures from Ruins Clutter Improved which were causing glazed candles to render improperly. The High Res version of the file was unaffected by this issue and remains unchanged.

Call me crazy, but why would anyone bother to download half a gigabyte for 3 missing textures?

Wouldn't this have made more sense as a patch updater?

Archived