SRLE Extended: Legacy of The Dragonborn

Guys there's been an update to the Custom Placed Trees Megapatch.

Be sure to do this after install. (you can remove this from the trees merge too so that you won't have to redo the merge again now)

Load in xEdit caribougone.esp
Search for caribougone.esp \ Tree \ 000AAE8B <TreeTundraShrub10>
Right click on 000AAE8B and Remove
Search for caribougone.esp \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ 00000D74 \ Persistent \ 0010E709
Right click on 0010E709 and Remove
Save and Exit

Hello Darth,

Not sure if mod suggestions are still a thing - the pinned mod suggestions list hasn't been updated and was for the old version ?

But anyways,

1 - Mysticism to replace Smart Souls

2 - Perhaps for yet another bit of variety ( although that seems to be seriously covered ^^ ( Grim Grass )

Another lover of Grim Grass! I just love the small touch it does to grass mods.

Guys there's been an update to the Custom Placed Trees Megapatch.

Be sure to do this after install. (you can remove this from the trees merge too so that you won't have to redo the merge again now)

Load in xEdit caribougone.esp

Search for caribougone.esp \ Tree \ 000AAE8B <TreeTundraShrub10>

Right click on 000AAE8B and Remove

Search for caribougone.esp \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ 00000D74 \ Persistent \ 0010E709

Right click on 0010E709 and Remove

Save and Exit

I forgot to mention, the unintentional record is the only record in the persistent cell so the cell can be straight deleted.

In other words

Search for caribougone.esp \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ 00000D74

can be removed

I forgot to mention, the unintentional record is the only record in the persistent cell so the cell can be straight deleted.

In other words

Search for caribougone.esp \ Worldspace \ 0000003C <Tamriel> \ 00000D74

can be removed

we can delete only the record too.... because after we merge all these trees mods this cell will be there for other edits.

this is quote from Hishutup when we were actually discussing this a few days ago:

"Well, to understand why, lets compare

Mem tweaks

• workaround
  • Requires some input(size)
  • No allocation problems
  • History shows its safe

CF

• Actual fix
  • Has and allocation "bug" because its restricted to a 32 bit process
  • moderate performance boost
  • Little history but I trust it

CF custom blocks

• Workaround for a fix
  • Requires some input(size)
  • May still have allocation problems but I doubt it
  • Little history but I trust it

Original issue: When heap1 fills up, code deadlocks, cant reallocate a bigger block and crashes.

Skse mem tweaks issue: When heap1 fills up, code doesn't allow it to expand and crashes

CF issue: When heap1 fills up, code allocates a larger block first, moves the contents and frees the old block. If there isnt a big enough block, it crashes

CF custom blocks issue: when the blocks fill up, memory swaps and can't load any more info but does not crash.

Any positives that CF offers is minute because it has a similar "bug". Im not stuck in the past like the people(idiots) that still use the 4GB patch on skyrim but I just don't see any positive benefit. Its just easier to type the number into skse for my approximate requirement, usually 768 but with some tests with DDL, 1024.

By the way this is grossly simplified as I am ignorant of the details. The specifics for block sizes don't matter all that much, even skse and ENBoost, as long as it +-25% you should be fine. For telling others, its easier to just say "Paste this file in X directory"; setting up can be confusing for some which I kind of understand as it is busy but still."

Thank you for the detailed reply.  But....I'm still lacking an answer to the question of whether CF and SKSE are stepping on each other's toes by fighting over memory.  The CF docs are maddeningly unclear as to how CF interacts with the SKSE memory allocator.  And I am unaware of any tool that gives me an idea of how much memory CF is allocating, the way MemoryBlocksLog does for SKSE.

When I turned off CF's memory allocator, and looked at the MemLog, I did notice that it was getting up near 700, when the limit is 768.  In previous builds, I have found that the standard 1024/256 allocations in skse.ini weren't enough for me, so I went to 1280, which always seemed enough.

Update:  just found https://forum.step-project.com/topic/11193-shesons-memory-patch-meh321s-crash-fixes , which addresses the issue, and states the CF totally tosses SKSE's allocated memory, so there is no fighting, and the SKSE settings do not matter.

However, that still leaves me with the question of just why I ran out of memory.   One possibility is that my new followers all tend to have unique high-res skins, I had 2 with me, and there were 3 more in the inn (including Minerva) - looks like I'll need to reskin them, and maybe change the esp so that they actually share skins, rather than each having her own.  The other possibility is that, since I was running in windowed mode, I had a very memory-hungry Chrome session still up, such that Win10 itself was telling me I was running out memory and needed to close something.   Looks like I need to look at my Win 10 swap space, cause there's no way I should run out of memory.

I would still appreciate hearing about any other ways to reduce memory usage, and/or improve memory allocation with CF or SKSE, though.

Thank you for the detailed reply.  But....I'm still lacking an answer to the question of whether CF and SKSE are stepping on each other's toes by fighting over memory.  The CF docs are maddeningly unclear as to how CF interacts with the SKSE memory allocator.  And I am unaware of any tool that gives me an idea of how much memory CF is allocating, the way MemoryBlocksLog does for SKSE.

When I turned off CF's memory allocator, and looked at the MemLog, I did notice that it was getting up near 700, when the limit is 768.  In previous builds, I have found that the standard 1024/256 allocations in skse.ini weren't enough for me, so I went to 1280, which always seemed enough.

Update:  just found https://forum.step-project.com/topic/11193-shesons-memory-patch-meh321s-crash-fixes , which addresses the issue, and states the CF totally tosses SKSE's allocated memory, so there is no fighting, and the SKSE settings do not matter.

However, that still leaves me with the question of just why I ran out of memory.   One possibility is that my new followers all tend to have unique high-res skins, I had 2 with me, and there were 3 more in the inn (including Minerva) - looks like I'll need to reskin them, and maybe change the esp so that they actually share skins, rather than each having her own.  The other possibility is that, since I was running in windowed mode, I had a very memory-hungry Chrome session still up, such that Win10 itself was telling me I was running out memory and needed to close something.   Looks like I need to look at my Win 10 swap space, cause there's no way I should run out of memory.

I would still appreciate hearing about any other ways to reduce memory usage, and/or improve memory allocation with CF or SKSE, though.

As far as I know CF changes it and SKSE mem tweaks doesnt know what it is or the code is stopped.

Probably

Yup

As Darth quoted from me, "Has and allocation "bug" because its restricted to a 32 bit process". Its not really a "bug" but is fragmentation.

I do not know enough about how it works to accurately explain. This is a better question for someone that has worked with memory management before, but the best way I can describe it is that when the heap attempts to expand, it can because there is some other block of data that has part of the desired location allocated. So the code tries to find a new continuous block but can't within the 32bit process,. So it ran out of memory, but this doesnt mean that all the memory was allocated/occupied, it just means it couldnt expand due to fragmentation.

Keep in mind, I do not work with this stuff, I just mod and I pick some stuff up here and there. Maybe google "C Malloc allocation" stuff, the information around there may be useful and accurate.

Look at the rough comparisons. You can either try the custom blocks option which is a bunch of small blocks or you can revert back to skse. One is a workaround for a fix whereas the other is just a workaround. One might be faster whereas the other may be slower. One may waste less memory but the other does.

*shrug* I don't know...

But no really, take what I say lightly as I am sure some(most?) of it is incorrect. Trust someone that actually works with this stuff.

If you do, please share

we can delete only the record too.... because after we merge all these trees mods this cell will be there for other edits.

eh, the cell and block are empty. It doesnt really matter, but I thought I'd mention it :P

I do not know enough about how it works to accurately explain. This is a better question for someone that has worked with memory management before, but the best way I can describe it is that when the heap attempts to expand, it can because there is some other block of data that has part of the desired location allocated. So the code tries to find a new continuous block but can't within the 32bit process,. So it ran out of memory, but this doesnt mean that all the memory was allocated/occupied, it just means it couldnt expand due to fragmentation.

Actually, I *am*someone who's worked with memory management software - back when I was a software engineer, I designed and built memory managers - so I have a deep understanding of the fundamental issues.  What I don't have, unfortunately, is a detailed understanding of exactly how CF interacts with SKSE.  However, after doing more research, I think I'm beginning to get it.  And the end result is, no, there is no conflict - CF totally replaces SKSE memory management, so if you have UseOSAllocators=1 in CF, it doesn't matter what you set in SKSE.ini.

Also, it appears that the source of my 'out of memory' bug may have been that I was, indeed, simply out of memory at the system level.  In addition to Skyrim, I had a memory-hungry Chrome process running, and it turns out that I only had 1GB of swap space allocated (left over from back in the days when I though 16GB of ram was a lot).  So, Win10 itself was telling me i was running out of memory (I got that popup the same time as the CF popup).  I have now upped my swap space to far more reasonable levels, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

I leave this as a note for anyone else who might encounter the same issue, but as far as I'm concerned, PROBLEM SOLVED.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Edited by GalenZ

WAAAAAAT

what's that post, you're not helping me there xD is it in my end or it's an issue with everyone ?

hishutup pls don't troll me :(

Dunc was having a sort of maybe similar issue and hishy thought they were related but apparently dunc's ddl install was broken.

Actually, I *am*someone who's worked with memory management software - back when I was a software engineer, I designed and built memory managers - so I have a deep understanding of the fundamental issues.  What I don't have, unfortunately, is a detailed understanding of exactly how CF interacts with SKSE.  However, after doing more research, I think I'm beginning to get it.  And the end result is, no, there is no conflict - CF totally replaces SKSE memory management, so if you have UseOSAllocators=1 in CF, it doesn't matter what you set in SKSE.ini.

THIS IS CORRECT

Also, it appears that the source of my 'out of memory' bug may have been that I was, indeed, simply out of memory at the system level.  In addition to Skyrim, I had a memory-hungry Chrome process running, and it turns out that I only had 1GB of swap space allocated (left over from back in the days when I though 16GB of ram was a lot).  So, Win10 itself was telling me i was running out of memory (I got that popup the same time as the CF popup).  I have now upped my swap space to far more reasonable levels, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

IF YOU ARE RUNNING A HEAVILY MODDED GAME, YOU ARE RIGHT, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE CHROME LOADED WHEN YOU'RE PLAYING.

I leave this as a note for anyone else who might encounter the same issue, but as far as I'm concerned, PROBLEM SOLVED.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Personally, I have CustomMemoryBlockTotalSizeMb=96 in crashfixplugin.ini and that seems to be working out great for me.

Edited by sirjesto
Hello. First off all, big thanks to all great people who involved in development of SRLE and Legacy, you are amazing (english not my native language, so i can not tell all i wanted). I just finished SRLE and barely fit into the vram and get 50-60fps. I used a 1k textures where possible, also turned off some enb features (dof, AO, Water), and maybe i will drop dyndolod to medium preset (if needed). Is there any sense for me to install SRLE Legacy? I play at 1080p, my spec: i5 3570k 4.2ghz, 8g ram, radeon r280x with 3gb vram. As i say, i get 50-60 fps, vram load is about 2.5 gb of 3gb, and ram 4.9gb of 8gb. Is there a big difference in fps/ram/vram between SRLE and Legacy? Also, i will skip some of the mods (companions, houses, quests, etc). I'm sorry for that kind of question, i just dont have time to waste, especially if game wont work in the end.