CTD fast travelling into Whiterun at night

joegeis

Question

I'm having an issue with CTD in certain areas, mostly in Whiterun. I'm assuming its due to the amount of clutter/textures in a compact space, along with the enb resource impact. My FPS usually dips down to 20-40 while running around whiterun. Anyways, the CTD got a lot better when I changed "VideoMemorySizeMb" to 3397 in enblocal.ini. I had it at 10000 previously (dumb I know now!). But the problem didn't go away completely. It happens mostly when fast travelling into Whiterun at night. I'm running a R9 290 4GB and 8GB of RAM. I have a lot of texture mods installed but I never install anything over 2k texture size. I'm also using Realvision ENB.  I have deviated from a standard STEP install (see below).

I honestly don't understand how and why enboost works and how vram and ram are used by enb. I've found dozens of results all over the internet on how to fix similar issues, and most are conflicting with each other. I can't seem to find any very simple explanation of how this all works anywhere either.

Here is my modwatch and my enblocal.ini

Can anyone help identify what I can do to eliminate or reduce my crashes?  Or explain how VRAM, RAM, enbhost.exe and enboost all play together?

EDIT - forgot I wanted to mention that Skyrim tends to settle at 800-900 MB and enbhost.exe around 1700-1900 MB RAM usage according to Task Manager (Total system RAM usage around 70%). When enbhost.exe gets to 2000 MB I start crashing. I've also never seen more than one instance of enbhost.exe. I believe its supposed to duplicate? This is part of what I don't understand.

EDIT 2 - I just check my system usage while running around Winterhold for comparison. enbhost.exe using 2100 MB and skyrim using 820 MB. Total RAM usage was about 77%. I'm getting a buttery smooth 55 fps and no crashes. WTF?

Edited by joegeis

1 answer to this question

For enblocal.ini "VideoMemorySizeMb" number, STEP recommends to download Boris' VRamSizeTest tool, and subtract an amount depending on your version of Windows.

Instructions on this page. Note that other items on the page will obviously be wrong for you, since you are using graphical ENB, but the memory size values should be the same.

Also, ExpandSystemMemoryX64 can be dangerous depending on your SKSE memory block sizes. See this.

Use Memory Blocks Log to check if you need to adjust your skse.ini memory blocks. That may also be the cause of your crashes.