[enbboost] Question about setting ini

jyujinkai

Question

Hi there.... never used ENB boot before.. I thought it was only for END users... but following thenew STEP says "everyone" should use it... I have some questions though...

I run win7 with 8gigs of ram and a GTX 960 with 2048 Vram... the instructions say....

";64-bit users with >= 8GB system RAM, set to formula: [Total Available Video Memory] - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)]"

so I should put - "VideoMemorySizeMb=1878" .... is that correct?

Also in the pref ini editing sections there is this line...

"bFloatPointRenderTarget=0

;Set to 1 if using an ENB Preset (NOT supported by STEP)."

Do I set this to 1 now I am using the ENB dll?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

Hi. You will want to have your Total Available Video Memory, which can be found here (from the ENBlocal.ini wiki page):

To find Dedicated Video Memory and Total Available Graphics Memory in Windows 7 and 8:

1. Right-click the Desktop and click [Adjust screen resolution].
  2. In the middle and right-hand side of the window, click the [Advanced settings] link.
  3. In the new window that opens, make sure the [Adapter] tab is the current tab.
  4. Under Adapter Information, Dedicated Video Memory and Total Available Graphics Memory are listed.

If you have a nVidia card, you can also go to the nVidia configuration window and click on 'system info' in the bottom left corner.

About the bFloatPointRenderTarget, I believe it should be set to 1 if you also use the graphics from ENB. If you just installed ENB for the ENBoost feature, I think it should be set to 0. I've never used ENB without its graphics though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Pretendeavor

4096-170 :;):

Right so I enter....

VideoMemorySizeMb=3899

?

Becuase the STEP project page says...

VideoMemorySizeMb=<integer in MB, multiples of 1024>

and 3899 is not a multipul of 1024?? (so confusing these instructions)

Edited by jyujinkai

The reason for the semi-confusing instructions is probably because no one is really 100% sure what values you're supposed to put in there:p That plus it really varies between PC/mod setups. I think most of the instructions come from either Boris' documentation or from things he says on his forums and part of it might or might not be slightly outdated info. I feel it can sometimes be.. challenging to figure out what value does what exactly (because of the language and/or knowledge barrier between the creator of ENB and us users). I'd indeed start with VideoMemorySizeMb=3899 and if you experience stuttering first try increasing or decreasing ReservedMemorySizeMB. If you still can't get rid of stutters, you can try lowering VideoMemorySizeMB to 1878 and see if it makes any difference. However I've heard others say that basing your VideoMemorySizeMB on your dedicated video memory instead of your total available graphics memory and perceiving an increase in performance might be a placebo effect.

So yeah, short answer is to just set it at 3899. I've had it set at 7708 and 3926 and it worked just fine (at least I think it did. It didn't crash and ENB's built-in profiler indeed showed those values. I don't fully understand how to interpret the rest of the profiler's info however x] )

Ok guys I seriously think this enbsettings need a bit more attention as this is totally mind **** it seems :P (No offense).

What I mean is, take a look here; 

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

Take a look at this line here; 

DisableDriverMemoryManager = Step says: Leave it DISABLED (SET TO FALSE). 

My question then is, doesn't that mean that that the line you put there means "false"? Let's put it this way. ENBoost asks you: "Do you want to disable DriverMemoryManager? And you answer with "false". I thought that if you were to put the word true in there it would make more sense as in TRUE to DISABLING that feature instead of FALSE to DISABLING it, which sounds like don't disable it. Am I the only one confused?

Ok next line;

DisablePreloadToVRAM: STEP says: Disable it.

Look at the name, same as above. It has the word "disable" in it.

I always had this line set to true because I imagined it went like this in my head:

Do you want to disable preload to VRAM? True for yes, false for no.

DAMN IT, this doesn't make sense! NOTHING DOES.

EXAMPLE THIS ONE IS EASY: ExpandSystemMemoryX64, this one you set it to false for disabled and true for enabled. But if you were to put the word disabled before the rest of the line it would read like this:

DisableExpandSystemMemoryX64: now what? What would the line be here? Obviously not false? because then you're saying don't disable it?

Damnit this is like rocket science.

Edited by L0Apafix

Okay, first you have to look past the names of the parameters because there is nothing we can do about those.

False = disabled/off
True = enabled/on

With DisableDriverMemoryManager, we want to allow our hardware to manage the memory; therefore, we do not want ENBSeries managing it. This parameter is mainly for AMD users with older cards. Turning this feature on (setting to true), enables the ENBSeries memory manager. Leaving it disabled (false), allows your hardware to manage the memory. Again, we want our hardware to do the managing so we leave it turned off (false).

With DisablePreloadToVRAM, we find the same thing. Setting this to true will disable the preloading of textures and, thus, they will not be loaded until they are visible. This is not the behavior we want and it is not recommended to run with this feature on (true). Therefore, we leave this feature disabled (false).

Do not think of the question you're asking yourself. Think, "do I want this feature on or off? False = off. True = on.

Okay, first you have to look past the names of the parameters because there is nothing we can do about those.

False = disabled/off

True = enabled/on

With DisableDriverMemoryManager, we want to allow our hardware to manage the memory; therefore, we do not want ENBSeries managing it. This parameter is mainly for AMD users with older cards. Turning this feature on (setting to true), enables the ENBSeries memory manager. Leaving it disabled (false), allows your hardware to manage the memory. Again, we want our hardware to do the managing so we leave it turned off (false).

With DisablePreloadToVRAM, we find the same thing. Setting this to true will disable the preloading of textures and, thus, they will not be loaded until they are visible. This is not the behavior we want and it is not recommended to run with this feature on (true). Therefore, we leave this feature disabled (false).

Do not think of the question you're asking yourself. Think, "do I want this feature on or off? False = off. True = on.

Thank you so much for the clarfication! It really bugged me :P guess I have to change a few settings now