Revisited: Q&A for Dummies (me!)

My last install I screwed up somewhere and just couldn't figure out what I did wrong.  I am starting over again.  So I am posting this thread to post any of my questions where the guide instructions may seem questionable.  I hope I don't seem too much like a dummy but maybe my questions may help the editing of the guide to make it easier in some places.

First up.

"To optimize the vanilla textures, either perform the steps and use the batch files located here under the heading "Vanilla Texture Preparation" or, alternatively, download and install the MO ready packages here. Once that process is completed, perform the following:"

The MO ready package has MO calling the Dawnguard, HearthFires, and Dragonborn optimized textures to be redundant.  Should this concern me or do I need to do something about this?  Also the guide did not tell me if I should kill the BSA's and make them loose files or not.  I killed the BSA's.  The question is asked when installing the optimized files in MO.  EDIT ABOUT BSA'S  "Notice:Critically Important! The first time a mod is installed that contains .bsa file Mod Organizer will prompt to extract it. Respond [Yes] and check the box labeled "Remember Selection" to prevent future prompts. If the prompt is needed again in the future simply click "Reset Dialogs" in Mod Organizers settings menu."    This notice shows up in the guide after the optimize texture instructions.  Perhaps put it higher up in the guide?

Next:

"Open enbseries_skyrim_vXXX.zip using 7-zip and extract the d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini files to a temporary folder. For reference, this will be called ENBTemp.
Open ENB Manager and Changer. *Note: Run this as an Administrator.*
In the "ENB Version" pane, click [Add]. Navigate to ENBTemp and select the d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe files, then click [Add].
In the resulting text box type the version number to indicate downloaded version then click [OK].
Verify that the version installed is selected in the drop down box.
Delete the d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe files from ENBTemp as they are now saved in ENB Manager and Changer."

I have never figured out how to "run this as an administrator".  Seems like skipping this step doesn't make a difference.  If this step is important please give instructions on running a java app as administrator.

Edited by chopain

I'm unsure about the first part, as my optimized textures show overwrites and not redundancies. However I extract all bsa's.

To run as administrator, right click the program and select "run as administrator". Alternatively right click the program, select properties, and there should be a check box option to default the program to run as administrator.

Blocksteal Redux

Author: towawot

Version: 1.4.1

Optionals: All vannila miscItem basket text by White Shadow

Special Installlation: Do not install the following file(s) and/or folder(s):

Main File:

• PreventsAccidentPickUp.bsl
  • readme*.txt

For the optional file, create directory SKSE/Plugins and move PreventsAccidentPickUp.basket into it during installation.

Mod Notes: This mod prevents accidental pick up of items marked as stealing. Additionally, other items can be configured to not be picked up on activation such as plates, silverware, etc.

Question: For the optional file there is already a folder called SKSE/Plugins in the mod directory for Blocksteal Redux.  Is your instruction to create it redundant or am I suppose to create this folder somewhere else besides inside the Blocksteal Redux mod folder?  I assume the instruction should say "Put the .basket file in the Mod folder of SKSE/Plugins in Blocksteal Redux."

Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel

Author: JJC74
Version: 3.1

[ExpandFOMOD Instructions
Main File

Optionals: Dawnguard Patch, Dragonborn Patch
Mod Notes: This mod completely overhauls the weather systems of Skyrim.

Question:  Two versions are both 3.1.   A BSA file and a Loose file.  Matter which one I use?  I assume the first.

2nd assumption.  On the optionals.  Do I install both the patch and the sound patch for Dawnguard/Dragonborn?  I am assuming that I ignore the sound patch.

Edited by chopain

I'll have to double check my java file when I get home. The worst that could happen is your enb doesn't activate in game.

As for blocksteal redux, if you already have the appropriate directory then yes, just drop the basket file in.

As for the two files, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it matters. As srle indicates to extract the bsa archives anyway, you will end up with loose files regardless.

Question: For the optional file there is already a folder called SKSE/Plugins in the mod directory for Blocksteal Redux.  Is your instruction to create it redundant or am I suppose to create this folder somewhere else besides inside the Blocksteal Redux mod folder?  I assume the instruction should say "Put the .basket file in the Mod folder of SKSE/Plugins in Blocksteal Redux."

The downloaded optional "All vannila miscItem basket text by White Shadow-61605-.7z" must be installed in the SKSE/Plugins-folder, but the file itself doesn't contain such a hierarchy of folders within it. There's just the file.

That's why you either add the file manually to the correct folder that's already present when you install Blocksteal Redux under the directory "mods" or create manually a

mods/Blocksteal Redux - All vannila miscItem basket text by White Shadow/SKSE/Plugins

folder to keep the file separately or

• unpack the file
  • create the correct directory
  • put the file there
  • create a new 7-zip file that now contains the correct directory information to install the file via MO whenever you need to do it again in the future.
Edited by thommaal

Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel

Author: JJC74

Version: 3.1

[ExpandFOMOD Instructions

Main File

Optionals: Dawnguard Patch, Dragonborn Patch

Mod Notes: This mod completely overhauls the weather systems of Skyrim.

Question:  Two versions are both 3.1.   A BSA file and a Loose file.  Matter which one I use?  I assume the first.

2nd assumption.  On the optionals.  Do I install both the patch and the sound patch for Dawnguard/Dragonborn?  I am assuming that I ignore the sound patch.

Looks like Neovalen advises everyone to unpack all BSAs, so it doesn't matter whether you take the BSA or the loose files.

If you unpack everything, it's a good idea to use a SSD.

Usually, Neovalen is very precise when he asks you to add optionals, so, I'd say, you're right in your assumption (but I'm just guessing here because I don't use Climates of Tamriel.)

Septim HD

Author: Crypton

Version: 1.0

Special Installation: Install only the contents of Alternates/Default BBP/Mipmaps.

Mod Notes: This mod is a HD replacement for the default Septim without breaking default design.

Question:

I installed this then went into MO filetree and deleted everything but alternates.  Then I took the textures out of the alternates file and had it be a stand alone folder.  Then I deleted the Alternates folder.  I did this because leaving the Alternates folder in the mod MO told me that the mod won't work.  Is this action correct?  Maybe more specific directions for this mod please.

I have the same question regarding the optimized textures. More clarity for those whose go the download route would be appreciated .

For the ENB manager some clarification might be useful. I had forgotten that jars were associated with Java. So it took me a bit to remember, specially since Java was no longer associated with that extension for some reason. Maybe a note to make sure you have the latest version of Java installed might be useful.

Also to answer the OP one way to run this (or any executable) as an admin is to open an elevated command prompt (run as admin) and then launch the program from there. You'll need to remember basic dos commands like cd\

However I have not noticed it makes any differences wether you run as admin or not

The ENB Chamger could use a screen shot. The interface is clunky and has lots of similarely named buttons and not a lot of confirmation messages. Not very user friendly. I struggled with it for a while, thinking it didn't work.

I did this part wrong somehow and ended up with CTD everytime I left the starting area. Traced it back to ENB and redid that step and that fixed it

For instructions like septim HD, what I do is double click to install as usual, then select manual installation. Navigate to the appropriate directory, I.e. Mipmaps, and right click to set as data directory.

It helps to become familiar with skyrim's file directory. Basically what you are doing when choosing to select Mipmaps as the data directory is telling MO to put the contents of that folder within <skyrim install path>\Data\. The end result when you launch your game through MO is the Textures folder is temporarily extracted into the skyrim install path, allowing you to play the game with those new textures.

I hope that made sense.

About the Septim HD question, yes this is correct. "the contents of Alternates/Default BBP/Mipmaps" is indeed the 'textures' folder. When installing the mod you can choose to do so manually and right click on the 'Mipmaps' folder and then 'set as data folder'. That way it will install only the 'textures' folder. I think this falls under the category 'MO basics' and I believe the guide assumes you understand them! Not sure how often you will occur similar situations but I suggest you read up on MO file structure a bit, so you understand when and why MO tells you that a mod won't work!

EDIT - Geheiligt explains it well, I didn't read his comment yet when I posted this

Edited by Pretendeavor

Thanks for the help so far.  I'm just making sure I do this guide 100% correctly.  So this time around I'm trying not to make too many assumptions with the instructions.  I've had way too many freezes last go around.  

Always good to go step by step. I just recently reinstalled SRLE with 100% no issue. On the other hand I recently tried installing STEP Extended and it's all sorts of bugged out, go figure. Carriage ride in looked like a psychedelic trip down to the chopping block with camera spinning every which way. No clue what I messed up but eventually scrapped it and decided to stick with SRLE. Current playthrough (month old SRLE, little outdated) with a level 49 Bosmer and it's super stable. Currently going to attempt to bring the save file over to the updated installation and see what happens. *fingers crossed*.

Edited by Geheiligt

High Quality LODs

Author: Ethatron
Version: 2.1 (Meshes Hi-Res + Normals Original)
Optionals(In Archive):
Normals Original:

• 03 - High 256x256

Special Installation: Do not install the following file(s) and/or folder(s):

• Docs folder
  • HQLODs.txt

Mod Notes: This mod is a replacer for all of the landscape LOD meshes and normals.

Request:  To save time clicking on each of the mesh and normals, adding which file to follow the special instructions may be a good idea.  (May seem obvious but I'm making suggestions for "Dummies" like me. :))

Edited by chopain