Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

Given he gets paid in Steam Wallet funds, I'd debate he's made anything, but fair enough. I'm not going to look at $tEAm to find out. I'd sooner smack myself in the face with a brick.

No, they actually pay you directly to your bank account. I was actually surprised they didn't do it to the steam wallet o.0

HDhIhT

Hey guys!

Until now, I've simply ignored Steam: No chatting, no participation in forums, workshops and stuff - even when I buy games, I usually purchase codes from a discounter and just paste them in. Basically, Steam is just this thing that takes up unnecessary space in my system tray. OTOH, since I'm more than happy for modders to earn a buck, and since I saw two mods I actually want - Purity & the new version of W&C - I decided to sign up, buy a couple mods and see how it goes. 

Perhaps my observations could be of interest:

1) As it turned out, you can't just "buy" mods. First I had to create a steam wallet and load it with money in 5 EUR increments, THEN I got to use my wallet to buy stuff - and stuff that is NOT priced to fit those increments. Weird: Even though I put in my "willing to pay" numbers for the two mods so that I'd come out at just under 5 EUR, Steam did some kind of special math that came out at something like 5.02 EUR. Wut? (I mean, I do kinda suck at arithmetic, but I actually used a pocket calculator to be sure?!) So I couldn't buy the second mod until I'd added an extra 5 EUR to my wallet. Result: Besides their 30% cut on the mods I bought, Steam (currently) has a 99% "wallet bonus." Obviously, I can still use my wallet to buy other mods, and maybe games too (?), but I HATE this kind of stuff. If I'm going to buy something, just let me pay for it already!

2) RE: Steam mod pages. MAN, do I love Nexus! I take back every bad thing I've ever said about them. Maybe it's just that I don't know my way around Steam yet, but the Steam mod pages themselves DO NOT seem to be designed in a manner friendly to people who intend to be intelligent about the way they use mods. And it seems like I might just possibly want that if I'm freaking paying for them?!

3) Using the Steam mod subscription service with MO = masochism. I have a thread going in the MO section of STEP where I've asked if there's any chance of getting MO linked to Steam - but currently, it's just a pain. It honestly (sic) makes more more sense to pay for the mod on Steam, then unsubscribe without downloading and get the mod off a torrent.

4) I'm happy to pay modders for their work, and I even accept Dan Hill's argument that the 25% arrangement with Bethesda and Steam is actually fair. BUT if I'm going to get involved in this, Steam's got to actually earn their cut. I don't want to go back to that place.

5) So far, the mods themselves look good. Testing still in progress, but it looks like nice work. 

Edited by mikegray
  • +1 2

Mikegray, thanks for that. We have been focusing on the effects of this change, but have not stopped to ask what happens when we decide to purchase something.

From all of this I take away that I have access to a paid mod more or less for ever, as I have paid for that right. I bought version 1.1 of a mod and I am entitled to updates to said mod as they are made available. What happens if a mod author decides to release version 2 of the mod? Do I have to repurchase it again?

I guess time will only tell.

You'd expect paid mods to be of a good quality, wouldn't you? Well think again.

Actually I didn't, and this just confirms my suspicions. Still, that's just incredible.

Does anyone know a good ratio for unique visits versus subscriptions on the workshop page? A few of these mods have made a pretty penny but they've also been seen by a staggering number of people.

That's even worse than I "ever" imagined. I know Steam is crap and pain in the ass to navigate through, but that the mods themselves would be sub-par garbage, that's new. WTF.

And the wallet thing? Who the hell had the bright idea to make it like that? I just want to pay with my CC. If I am not allowed to do that, shove the entire Workshop up your arseholes.

Edited by Octopuss
  • +1 1

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil." Gandalf, LOTR

I believe this was Kelmych's line, actually. (lol)

2) RE: Steam mod pages. MAN, do I love Nexus! I take back every bad thing I've ever said about them. Maybe it's just that I don't know my way around Steam yet, but the Steam mod pages themselves DO NOT seem to be designed in a manner friendly to people who intend to be intelligent about the way they use mods. And it seems like I might just possibly want that if I'm freaking paying for them?!

3) Using the Steam mod subscription service with MO = masochism. I have a thread going in the MO section of STEP where I've asked if there's any chance of getting MO linked to Steam - but currently, it's just a pain. It honestly (sic) makes more more sense to pay for the mod on Steam, then unsubscribe without downloading and get the mod off a torrent.

Using Steam for modding just SUCKS, whether the mods are free or not.  I refuse to do it.  I refuse to use that system and would rather not deal with mods than use it (or find copies "elsewhere" which allow me to just not deal with Steam at all, because Steam modding is a joke).  I have never paid for DLC either on it's own - I have always waited to purchase games until all DLC got included in some kind of Ultimate game package with a reasonable price tag.  The only mod-user that would actually effectively be able to use Steam for modding would likely only be able to install a handful of mods before having compatibility issues that can't be resolved, since it oversimplifies a complex process to the point of being largely ineffective for any kind of moderate mod installation.  Knowing the actually complexity of proper modding and the communication involved (between mod author/users/other mod authors of conflicting mods) regarding quality assurance for mods, paid mods becoming "a thing" through Steam is just going to destroy the whole scene.  Mods behind a pay-wall are going to be a MAJOR pain in the ass to "manage" for the modding community.  No one is going to be able to offer proper support either - iow, patches for conflicting mods.

You'd expect paid mods to be of a good quality, wouldn't you? Well think again.

BAHAHAHA!

Edited by oqhansoloqo

There is something I haven´t read about. Our support, our tests. How much to test all the mods? and to make the patch to work together?

I don´t speak very well in english. But can you see the differences?

cRwr7Zo.jpg

u8Q92EJ.jpg

LOL I love the pictures ::D: