Left Pane Confusing Warnings re: load order

aaltair

Question

I've seen this discussed elsewhere in this thread but I just wanted to check in regarding MO load order messages as it concerns Alternate Start- LAL. I get issues between it, The Choice is Yours, and The Cutting Room Floor. Basically MO wants the latter two to come after LAL, but this is not right when you factor in something like Requiem, which needs to be at the bottom, and CRF, which needs to be at the top. The Choice is Yours I'm really not certain about, but if I put it under LAL I see it's conflicting with certain things in the Civil War Overhaul and Requiem, and I am very hesitant to allow anything to overwrite those two overhauls. 

For now I've kept The Choice is Yours unchecked, because I don't know what to do about it and am hoping to get some clarity here as I would really like to use that mod. With The Cutting Room Floor, Arthmoor very specifically said: "It does matter. CRF should be loading nice and early, while LAL should be loading really late. So if MO is not set up to do this, you need to make it do so."

I would really hate to have to live with that MO warning staring me in the face every day though :-/

And just to be clear, here's the warning:

The conflict resolution order for some mods containing scripts differs from that of the corresponding esp.
This may lead to subtle, hard to locate bugs. You should re-order the affected mods (left list!).
There is no way to reliably know if each of these changes is absolutely necessary but its definitively safer.
If someone suggested you ignore this message, please give them a proper slapping from me. Do not ignore this warning
The following changes should prevent these kinds of errors:

• Move The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options after Alternate Start - Live Another Life
  • Move Cutting Room Floor after The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options
Edited by aaltair

7 answers to this question

The warning tells you to put mods with scripts in the same order as the plugins and I have yet to see confirmation about a single case where this isn't the safer variant.

If you are certain that CRF should be loaded before LAL then you should probably also put the CRF esp before LAL esp.

And btw.: Arthmoor is the very reason this feature exists because HEs the maintainer (?) of the only mod that's actually known to cause trouble when mod order and plugin order don't align.

The warning tells you to put mods with scripts in the same order as the plugins and I have yet to see confirmation about a single case where this isn't the safer variant.

If you are certain that CRF should be loaded before LAL then you should probably also put the CRF esp before LAL esp.

And btw.: Arthmoor is the very reason this feature exists because HEs the maintainer (?) of the only mod that's actually known to cause trouble when mod order and plugin order don't align.

Unofficial Patches

STEP will be turning this feature off in it's next release because it causes too much confusion. Also, users that hit that "Fix" button will potentially break their STEP install. STEP personally looks into these conflicts to determine if there is actually an issue or not. In most cases, there is not. In fact, in the next release of the STEP Guide (or for anyone updating certain mods now) there exists an issue with this feature because two mods by the same author contain the exact same script. Thus you'll end up with a never-ending loop with the PMOP feature between these two mods. You'll either have to hide one of the scripts or turn the feature off to get rid of that particular warning.

Users who follow the STEP Guide can trust that there won't be any script-related issues. It will be up to the user's due diligence to check out potential issues for scripted mods that are added beyond the scope of STEP.