Mod suggestions for balanced challenge

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, if it isnt I apologize but nowhere else did it seem fitting.

I just finished doing a full STEP Extended install as a base and I'm adding a few other mods on top. I'm using Extensible Follower Framework because I like the idea of adventuring with a small (2-3 followers) party. Thing is, the game is obviously balanced for 1 player + 1 followers max so having more than 1 takes a lot of the challenge out of the game. I'm looking for mod suggestions to make the game a bit more balanced without making difficulty overwhelming. Note that I don't intend to move the difficulty Adept, since that only turns enemies into damage sponged for me, and it affects my followers as if they were npcs, meaning the have an easier time killing enemies than me. 

I've been looking at stuff like ASIS, Enemy AI Overhaul, Ultimate Combat, and Immersive Creatures. I'm wary of using more than 1 or 2 of those at a time because I fear it might be overkill. Suggestions on which combinations work (or not) are welcome.

Regarding dragon combat, I'm trying to decide between Ultimate Dragons (new and looks promising) and Deadly Dragons (like the amount of customization available, but old and abandoned). As before, I don't want to add more than 1 of these mods for the same reasons: keeping it simple and not making the game frustratingly hard. I've also taken a look at Dragon Combat Overhaul and decided it's not my thing.

Finally, I'm looking for a mod to uncap follower levels. I'm looking at Protected NPCs Redux with Uncap option, and Endgame NPC Overhaul. Suggestions?

Read Leto's guides "Ambitious Skyrim" and "Stepping Out" in Republic of Step>Guides and Resources.

He goes into detail and even uses a lot of these mods you have mentioned and why.

Just note if you use Protected NPC's Redux, you cannot use beauty mods or any other mods that directly edits NPC's. Use When Vampires Attack and Run for your lives instead.

Leto also uses Amazing Follower Tweaks : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15524/? which has level uncap function for followers.