Advice on how to resolve light source conflicts?

aaltair

Question

Hi, I know there has to be a way to do this with these tools, I just have no clue how! I'm using Relighting Skyrim + ELE interiors and getting a great deal of lights popping on and off with mods such as JK Cities and ETaC. Is there a way I can make my own patch to resolve something like this or even delete or overwrite the conflicting lighting? I loaded everything up in TES5Edit to check for conflicts and I can definitely see the mods involved are...involved...but honestly I have no idea what I'm looking at or how to interpret any of it. I'm thinking of ditching ELE to hopefully reduce these conflicts but Relighting is also creating them. Any advice? Thanks

5 answers to this question

JK cities and ETaC would have to have patches for RS if they add or move lights. ELE normalizes the light sources so they are consistent and would require the CK to edit. But if you're just using interiors, if shouldn't be an issue for exteriors.

First thing to do would be to make sure you have RS and ELE in the correct install and load order.

If you mean the fade feature of lights then that is a light bulb setting you can alter in the CK. Some light sources have the "never fade" flag enabled which means they will render at all distances. However this feature should be used sparsely as I understand it. 

It's not fading, it's turn the camera one way, you have light, turn it the other way, insta-dark. Like someone turning a light on and off.

My load order at this time is extremely sparse, so I'm fairly certain I have everything in the right places. According to RS mod page RS goes at the top, and according to the ELE page, ELE loads after RS. I have that, plus I've moved them around a few times just to test it out, no change. I'm using RS for exteriors too which is where the JK issue comes in, mostly with certain braziers in a few of the cities, as well as two windows in Riften and guard torches.

I imagine if it's something that needs to be done in the ck it's likely beyond me? 

If I do nothing and just live with it, will it make my game unstable or have any other wonky consequences other than being annoying?

It's a shame RS isn't more compatible, it makes such a huge difference. 

Edited by aaltair

Then it is because there are too many shadow casting lights in the cell... the engine can only actively render 5 or so I believe... the normal culprint is mods that add torches to guards, since the default torch light bulb is a shadow caster.