MOD ORGANIZER "can't delete output file" Error

greekgod14

Question

I get this error every time I download an update to a mod and try to install it. Except it won't let me install it. I never had this issue till a couple days ago, and I have NO idea how to fix it. It has happened to two of my mods that were recently updated. Books of Skyrim, and Alternate Start. I will use Alternate Start as an example. The error is as follows.. "can't delete output file C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyim\mod organizer\mods\alternate start - live another life\alternate start - live another life.bsa"

Now I wish I was much more knowledgeable with this, but I'm not. Is there anyone out there who could tell me how to fix this annoying issue? Thank you in advance!

8 answers to this question

Ordinarily I would point out the fact that installing into C:\Program Files (x86) isn't the preferred option, but since you already were able to install mods, and presumably play the game, with that directory used, I'd guess there is something else at work here.

The error seems to indicate that another process has control of that file and isn't allowing the delete function a chance to continue, so my next question would be: do you have any explorer windows or other programs open with that file active?

Next I would look at whether Windows has recently updated and perhaps changed access restrictions on some folders, unlikely but you never know unless you ask. Have you installed any software updates, either Windows or Anti-Virus software in the last couple of days?

• +1 1

Ordinarily I would point out the fact that installing into C:\Program Files (x86) isn't the preferred option, but since you already were able to install mods, and presumably play the game, with that directory used, I'd guess there is something else at work here.

The error seems to indicate that another process has control of that file and isn't allowing the delete function a chance to continue, so my next question would be: do you have any explorer windows or other programs open with that file active?

Next I would look at whether Windows has recently updated and perhaps changed access restrictions on some folders, unlikely but you never know unless you ask. Have you installed any software updates, either Windows or Anti-Virus software in the last couple of days?

Thanks for the response, Grant! Yes, I'm already fully aware that installing steam in the x86 is stupid, due to the administrative limitations, etc but I found this out when it was too late... As for any other program, I have absolutely no idea. But my best guess would be Java, seeing as how that could be one of the only culprits, but I don't have such a thing open. No windows updates, no Anti-Virus updates on Avast! either. 

My guess is that the file path is too long and therefore cannot be deleted. You will have to rename folders/files to shorten the filepath if that is the case. This is another reason we never install these into Program Files (x86).

Thanks for your response, DoubleYou! Yeah, that seems quite logical... I doubt there's any way to move my steam directory out of there without causing problems...If there is such a way, by all means, I'm all ears :)

I believe there is a new Steam feature that allows you to move games to another location outside of the Steam folder. Doing it their way also ensures all the registry settings are correct.

I do recall seeing something a little while back about it. Try YouTube, there's bound to dozens of videos showing you what to do.

My only concern though is what I stated above, since you had it installed and working before, it still should work now.

• +1 1

I think there is something called steam mover that can do it.

Is this it? https://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

I believe there is a new Steam feature that allows you to move games to another location outside of the Steam folder. Doing it their way also ensures all the registry settings are correct.

I do recall seeing something a little while back about it. Try YouTube, there's bound to dozens of videos showing you what to do.

My only concern though is what I stated above, since you had it installed and working before, it still should work now.

Ok, I will look into it, thank you guys!

Well gentlemen, maybe I should've put a disclaimer up that you're dealing with someone with an IQ of 21... All it took was a restart to fix the problem... A restart.... While I'm rethinking my life, get yourselves a beer and a pat on the back! It's people like you who make the world go 'round. Thank you so much for your patience and willingness to help!