CTD on first time launch from Mod Organizer

Starfighter08

Question

I followed all the STEPs up to and including 2.D Fixes. I used LOOT and the warning sign in the upper right Corner of MO was greyed out. For what it's worth there didn't seem to be any problems with the setup. 

I tried to lauch Skyrim through MO, the screen turned dark for a moment and then it went back to desktop. The warning sing in the upper right corner is now red and tells me that ther is content in the Overwrite Mod:

A folder named SKSE > a folder named Plugins > a file named SKSE_Elys_AltF4.log

The log is as follows:

Plugin name: SKSE_Elys_AltF4
Plugin version: 1.0.0.0
Plugin path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins\
SKSE version: 1.7.1.0
Game version: 1.9.32.0

Plugin enabled. Starting hooks sequence...

Installing hook for: DirectInput8Create
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC81EC2C
Hook installed for: DirectInput8Create

Installing hook for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC568B75
Hook installed for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice

Installing hook for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC56578B
Hook installed for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel

As I understand it, I have to first deal with this content before trying to lauch again. Neither the STEP guide nor the Mod site on Nexus say something about any of this. Unfortunately I don't understand what the log file is saying. Do I move the SKSE folder in Overwrite over to the Mod and launch again or do I just delete it and launch again? The latter seems wrong to me. 

I have stored my system specs as recommended by the thread starting site and I'm appending the files from my MO profile. If further data is recquired I'll gladly provide it.

archives.txt

loadorder.txt

lockedorder.txt

modlist.txt

plugins.txt

initweaks.ini

Skyrim.ini

SkyrimPrefs.ini

Edited by Starfighter08

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It still crashes. Since ENBoost is an integral part of every ENB preset and I'm having trouble with ENBoost, that result isn't exactly surprising. I was still hoping it would work anyway. 

I downloaded the minidumps this morning and all three have an AccessViolation exception at the same place in a call to CD3DBase::SetVertexShader_FP and it looks suspiciously like it is attempting to dereference a null pointer.

Did you delete any meshes or textures (or perhaps a *.bsa file) when you removed the ENB preset? The reason I ask is because this block of code is attempting to transform a texture.

No, I didn't. As a matter of fact I re-installed Skyrim, Mod Organizer, the 3rd Party extensions and ENBoost from scratch again (third time is apparently not the charm). All I did was following STEP up to the point of installing ENBoost. That does include cleaning the Update.esp though. Does that file include meshes and textures?

Btw, thanks for taking the time to read and interpret the minidumps for me. Much appreciated.

Edited by Starfighter08

As another couple of potentially silly questions... are you running skse_launcher.exe to run Skyrim?

Where exactly are you getting the crash to desktop?

The reason I ask is because launching TESV.exe with a STEP Core+Extended profile can cause Skyrim to crash right after attempting to load a save. I found this out the hard way when I accidentally changed from running Skyrim Performance Monitor to run TESV by mistake.

The first thing I would do is to back to a plain Vanilla game without SKSE or ENBoost. Verify Skyrim loads and runs properly through the initial cart ride.

Assuming this goes well, extract skse_launcher, skse_1_9_32.dll, and skse_steam_loader.dll into your Skyrim folder (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim).

In Mod Organizer, click Install Mod and select the SKSE archive. Expand the folders until you see the Data directory. Right click Data and select Set data directory. At this point you should see "Looks good" so click OK.

Create the SKSE ini file in SKSE mod folder with these settings:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Restart Mod Organizer to make sure it adds SKSE to the executables list. If it does, launch skse_loader.exe from Mod Organizer and make sure you can play a new game through the initial cart ride. If all goes well here, we know SKSE is installed and working properly.

Open the ENB 0.264 archive, go to the WrapperVersion folder, and copy d3d9.dll, enbhost.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini to the Skyrim folder (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim).

Edit enblocal.ini in the Skyrim folder using Notepad and add or change these settings as appropriate:

[GLOBAL]

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

UseDefferedRendering=false

[MEMORY]

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512

VideoMemorySizeMb=2048

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

[ENGINE]

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false

EnableVSync=true

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

Save the changes. VideoMemorySizeMb can be set to (VRAM + System RAM - 2048) with a minimum of VRAM and a maximum of 10240.

Go back to Mod Organizer and launch SKSE to see if the game works this time. Basically this is going one step at a time so we can be certain everything is installed correctly and that it is an ENB issue.

If it still crashes (heaven forbid), you might try running Skyrim in a window to see if this makes any difference. To do so, edit enblocal.ini in the Skyrim folder and change these settings:

[WINDOW]

ForceBorderless=true

ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

If this still doesn't work, repeat the ENB installation selecting the files in the InjectorVersion folder.

The first thing I would do is to back to a plain Vanilla game without SKSE or ENBoost. Verify Skyrim loads and runs properly through the initial cart ride.

Assuming this goes well, extract skse_launcher, skse_1_9_32.dll, and skse_steam_loader.dll into your Skyrim folder (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim).

In Mod Organizer, click Install Mod and select the SKSE archive. Expand the folders until you see the Data directory. Right click Data and select Set data directory. At this point you should see "Looks good" so click OK.

Create the SKSE ini file in SKSE mod folder with these settings:

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Restart Mod Organizer to make sure it adds SKSE to the executables list. If it does, launch skse_loader.exe from Mod Organizer and make sure you can play a new game through the initial cart ride. If all goes well here, we know SKSE is installed and working properly.

Open the ENB 0.264 archive, go to the WrapperVersion folder, and copy d3d9.dll, enbhost.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini to the Skyrim folder (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim).

Edit enblocal.ini in the Skyrim folder using Notepad and add or change these settings as appropriate:

[GLOBAL]

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

UseDefferedRendering=false

[MEMORY]

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512

VideoMemorySizeMb=2048

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

[ENGINE]

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false

EnableVSync=true

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

Save the changes. VideoMemorySizeMb can be set to (VRAM + System RAM - 2048) with a minimum of VRAM and a maximum of 10240.

Go back to Mod Organizer and launch SKSE to see if the game works this time. Basically this is going one step at a time so we can be certain everything is installed correctly and that it is an ENB issue.

If it still crashes (heaven forbid), you might try running Skyrim in a window to see if this makes any difference. To do so, edit enblocal.ini in the Skyrim folder and change these settings:

[WINDOW]

ForceBorderless=true

ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

If this still doesn't work, repeat the ENB installation selecting the files in the InjectorVersion folder.

I have already done all of that with the exception of windowed mode and injection version. It works before I install ENBoost v0.264, but afterwards it keeps crashing. Windowed mode didn't help. Which files do I need from the injector Version?

Have you tried a different version of ENBoost? I remember giving you some things to tr last I looked in the thread but am working on something atm so can't look it up.

I tried v0.262 once with Real Vision ENB and then just with ENBoost, and the same with v0.264, With Phinix ENB and just with ENBoost. Neither worked.

I verified the files through steam but that didn't help either. Afterwards I still couldn't launch the game with ENBoost but also not even without it anymore.

I downloaded the minidumps this morning and all three have an AccessViolation exception at the same place in a call to CD3DBase::SetVertexShader_FP and it looks suspiciously like it is attempting to dereference a null pointer.

Did you delete any meshes or textures (or perhaps a *.bsa file) when you removed the ENB preset? The reason I ask is because this block of code is attempting to transform a texture.

Does anybody know how to deal with access violations as described above? For the record: I did not delete anything. It was a clean install.