CTD on first time launch from Mod Organizer

Starfighter08

Question

I followed all the STEPs up to and including 2.D Fixes. I used LOOT and the warning sign in the upper right Corner of MO was greyed out. For what it's worth there didn't seem to be any problems with the setup. 

I tried to lauch Skyrim through MO, the screen turned dark for a moment and then it went back to desktop. The warning sing in the upper right corner is now red and tells me that ther is content in the Overwrite Mod:

A folder named SKSE > a folder named Plugins > a file named SKSE_Elys_AltF4.log

The log is as follows:

Plugin name: SKSE_Elys_AltF4
Plugin version: 1.0.0.0
Plugin path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins\
SKSE version: 1.7.1.0
Game version: 1.9.32.0

Plugin enabled. Starting hooks sequence...

Installing hook for: DirectInput8Create
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC81EC2C
Hook installed for: DirectInput8Create

Installing hook for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC568B75
Hook installed for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice

Installing hook for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC56578B
Hook installed for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel

As I understand it, I have to first deal with this content before trying to lauch again. Neither the STEP guide nor the Mod site on Nexus say something about any of this. Unfortunately I don't understand what the log file is saying. Do I move the SKSE folder in Overwrite over to the Mod and launch again or do I just delete it and launch again? The latter seems wrong to me. 

I have stored my system specs as recommended by the thread starting site and I'm appending the files from my MO profile. If further data is recquired I'll gladly provide it.

archives.txt

loadorder.txt

lockedorder.txt

modlist.txt

plugins.txt

initweaks.ini

Skyrim.ini

SkyrimPrefs.ini

Edited by Starfighter08

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry, I think I may have lead you astray. I was thinking of another piece of software entirely: HiAlgoBoost.

Disregard all I said.

The settings for ENBoost are fine, later, as the guide says, you can add on settings to adjust the graphics to your liking.

Another way would be to copy the memory settings from the ENBoost into a preset you like.

Again, sorry if my 'suggestions' stuffed you up.

I am also using STEP Core+Extended 2.2.9 and this is how I got it working:

Extract skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe, and skse_steam_loader.dll into your Skyrim folder (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim). From this point foward you should be running skse_loader.exe (not SkyrimLauncher.exe or TESV.exe) to play the game.

Manually install SKSE with Mod Organizer. When you get the folder list in Mod Organizer, expand the folders until you get to the Data folder (this should be something like skse_version#/Data, right click Data, and select Set data directory. If you double click on SKSE in the left pane after it's installed, you should see the scripts directory containing a bunch of pex files. Follow the directions to create the SKSE folder and the skse.ini file with the appropriate settings.

Run the game to make sure it works properly without ENB. I think you're already here so this may be redundant... I'm including it just in case. And make sure you run skse_loader.exe in Mod Organizer to start the game.

If everything is good so far, install ENB 0.264:

With Windows Explorer, browse to the Wrapper folder and copy d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini to the Skyrim folder (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim). Edit enblocal.ini in the Skyrim folder per the instructions (https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations) to install ENBoost. As mentioned earlier, set VideoMemorySizeMb=10240.

After you save the changes, you should be able to start the game by running skse_loader.exe from Mod Organizer. Don't run TESV.exe or ENBHost.exe. At some point after Skyrim starts, you should see a message in the upper-left stating ENBhost blah blah so you can see ENB is actually working. You should see this just as Skyrim brings up the Continue/Load/New/Quit options if I remember correctly.

If Skyrim still crashes, try the Injector version as Nozzer suggests. I think for the Injector version you just copy the same three files from the Injector folder. I should caution that I've never used the Injector version, so I don't know if it needs ENBInjector.exe.

Just in case it helps, this is my complete enblocal.ini file:

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64
VideoMemorySizeMb=
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=10.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num / 106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true

It works now. I reinstalled SKSE, ENB and rewrote the skyrim.ini and skyrimpreferences.ini from scratch. I thought that I had done everything right but apparently that wasn't the case. Odds are that it was an ini problem. I'd like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread. This is a great community. ::):

Edited by Starfighter08

For what it's worth I tried to duplicate the problem with the duplicate SKSE entries to see if that causes any issues.

Nothing. It would appear that Tannin's code is much more robust than I expected from this [non] issue. I was expecting the MO VFS to try and start two instances of SKSE with the resultant crash. MO is too clever for that and just assumes user error and loads SKSE (and I assume all *SE variants) as normal.

Bravo Tannin.

Glad this issue was easily resolved.

I was there, but I'm back again, so to speak. I finally got it to work, but then I decided to try some non STEP approved mods and ENBs and made a complete mess of it. So I decided to restart from scratch. Unfortunately I now have the same problem as before. ENBoost causes an immediate CTD after launch through SKSE and vanilla reaches the Bethesda logo, where again I see the white text from the ENB dev and then it crashes. Since I never found out what the problem was before, I just re did the skyrim and prefs and enblocal ini files but the problem persists. I'm fast running out of things to try.

Edited by Starfighter08

If you are using MO and you installed some mods that either, don't work for you or they don't do what you want, just deactivate them from the mod list in MO, there should be no time in the future when anything you install in MO makes it necessary to completely redo your Skyrim install.

Retrace you steps here and fix the ENB issue and then make a backup of the Skyrim folder, just in case.

Afterwards, any mods installed via MO will have NO IMPACT on the Skyrim folder. You may add/remove/reorder/edit/stuff-up those mods to your hearts content and your Skyrim installation will be fine.

So let's go back to the beginning. What ENB are you wanting and how have you tried to install it?

This is assuming you have installed any other extension like SKSE correctly. I am making this assumption since this thread seems to say that.

I'm using MO and ENBoost 0.264. I assume I installed MO and SKSE correctly because I followed the tutorial videos to the letter. Besides, it's no longer the first time I'm doing it. :wallbash: Since I couldn't get it to work, I also tried to install Phinix ENB according to gopher's video (yes, he uses NMM) but that didn't fix the problem, so I tried to revert back to ENBoost 0.264. At least I know that I managed to make that one work at one point. Btw, is there a good "uninstall" feature/procedure for ENBs? I just opened the zip file again and manually removed all files in the Skyrim folder that also appear in the zip file. That might be where I messed up this time, though I didn't find any leftover files when retracing my steps.

The source of my troubles has to be ENB related, otherwise even if MO or SKSE or LOOT etc. was completely messed up, at least vanilla Skyrim would still work. But it only does when I delete the three ENB files in the Skyrim directory.

I added

[Debug]

WriteMinidumps=1

into the SKSE.ini as recommended by the STEP Installation and Configuration guide and it created a report. Unfortunately I don't know how to read the .dmp format of the file and I'm not allowed to upload it. I also doubt that I could Interpret the message. Can somebody help, please?

Edited by Starfighter08

If you can upload the minidump somewhere (like SkyDrive or DropBox) and provide a link to it, I can look at it when I get a chance.

O.k. Let's see if I manage to give you access to them with this link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1CDD7548643921E5!143&authkey=!AAQcj6RrIfHsHDk&ithint=folder%2cdmp

Edit: If I didn't completely fail at this OneDrive thingy, you should have access to one folder with three minidump files in it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Starfighter08

It might be good if you could also paste, or link to, your enbseries & enblocal ini files along with your skyrim inis from the MO profile folder you are using.

The skse.ini should be minimal and there should be something like this in it:

[Memory] 
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256  

It might be good if you could also paste, or link to, your enbseries & enblocal ini files along with your skyrim inis from the MO profile folder you are using.

The skse.ini should be minimal and there should be something like this in it:

[Memory] 
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256  

Above link now also contains Skyrim.ini, SkyrimPrefs.ini, enbseries.ini, enblocal.ini and SKSE.ini

It looks like the ENB inis are just the stock standard from 0.264. Have a look at installing a preset for ENB.

I have only just started using them and they do come across as a little daunting to those that haven't seen them before.

I don't class myself as a noob but even I had to look carefully to know what they are trying to do. Still learning about them BTW.

I would suggest following this video by the STEP video master, GamerPoet. He has made an install video for RealVision and it works just fine even on my older gaming laptop.

The only thing is it is for the 0.262 version of ENB, so you will need to remove the current files and install that. At least I think you should. I'm not 100% sure if RealVision works with 0.264.

As for the other inis. I can't see anything leap out at me as out-of-place. Maybe someone else will see something.

Hang in there, there is always a solution.

Edit: If I didn't completely fail at this OneDrive thingy, you should have access to one folder with three minidump files in it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I downloaded the minidumps this morning and all three have an AccessViolation exception at the same place in a call to CD3DBase::SetVertexShader_FP and it looks suspiciously like it is attempting to dereference a null pointer.

Did you delete any meshes or textures (or perhaps a *.bsa file) when you removed the ENB preset? The reason I ask is because this block of code is attempting to transform a texture.