CTD on first time launch from Mod Organizer

Starfighter08

Question

I followed all the STEPs up to and including 2.D Fixes. I used LOOT and the warning sign in the upper right Corner of MO was greyed out. For what it's worth there didn't seem to be any problems with the setup. 

I tried to lauch Skyrim through MO, the screen turned dark for a moment and then it went back to desktop. The warning sing in the upper right corner is now red and tells me that ther is content in the Overwrite Mod:

A folder named SKSE > a folder named Plugins > a file named SKSE_Elys_AltF4.log

The log is as follows:

Plugin name: SKSE_Elys_AltF4
Plugin version: 1.0.0.0
Plugin path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\SKSE\Plugins\
SKSE version: 1.7.1.0
Game version: 1.9.32.0

Plugin enabled. Starting hooks sequence...

Installing hook for: DirectInput8Create
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC81EC2C
Hook installed for: DirectInput8Create

Installing hook for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC568B75
Hook installed for: DirectInput8.CreateDevice

Installing hook for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel
Original Opcodes: 8BFF558BEC56578B
Hook installed for: DirectInputDevice8.SetCooperativeLevel

As I understand it, I have to first deal with this content before trying to lauch again. Neither the STEP guide nor the Mod site on Nexus say something about any of this. Unfortunately I don't understand what the log file is saying. Do I move the SKSE folder in Overwrite over to the Mod and launch again or do I just delete it and launch again? The latter seems wrong to me. 

I have stored my system specs as recommended by the thread starting site and I'm appending the files from my MO profile. If further data is recquired I'll gladly provide it.

archives.txt

loadorder.txt

lockedorder.txt

modlist.txt

plugins.txt

initweaks.ini

Skyrim.ini

SkyrimPrefs.ini

Edited by Starfighter08

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm curious about this comment:

If I do that all the work in the Skyrim folder is gone. What can I do?

If you are using MO there should be minimal impact on the Skyrim folder.

Have you installed the mods and other extensions via MO or directly into the Skyrim folder?

EDIT:

Maybe a moderator could move this to the MO Support section?

Edited by GrantSP

Go to Steam and use the verify integrity of game cache option. I'm going to take a punt that there's an issue with the cleaned ESM's of some description. Checking the cache integrity will regenerate those in vanilla uncleaned form.

Do that then try and run vanilla Skyrim and get back to us.

Edited by Nozzer66

I moved it. I agree with Nozzer try and verify your game files.

On a hunch I removed the ENB files d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, enblocal.ini (and there was a new file: enbseries.ini which I did not copy from the archive) from the Skyrim directory and now vanilla Skyrim lauches just as it should. Did I misunderstand the instructions (wouldn't be the first time) when I placed them in the same folder as the vanilla Skyrim exe file? I also put the SKSE files skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe and skse_steam_loader.dll into the Skyrim directory. They do belong there, right?

I downloaded ENB again and copied the new files into the Skyrim directory and modified the enblocal.ini as instructed but now vanilla Skyrim crashes again and the SKSE version still doesn't load.

Maybe it's the enblocal.ini modification. I calculated VideoMemorySizeMb=17408, based on 16 GB system RAM and 3 GB VRAM. Could that be it? The other modifications are exactly as instructed.

Edited by Starfighter08

Just to be sure, you are using the Wrapper version? Apart from that yeah, those shows files need to be in that folder.

I guess you could try lowering that memory figure, but if that is what your system has it should be okay.

Which ENB preset are you using? Generally you need only take the executables from the ENB binary archive and then copy in those from the preset.

ie. enbhost.exe & d3d9.dll from the enbseries_skyrim_v026X.zip

Just to be sure, you are using the Wrapper version? Apart from that yeah, those shows files need to be in that folder.

I guess you could try lowering that memory figure, but if that is what your system has it should be okay.

Which ENB preset are you using? Generally you need only take the executables from the ENB binary archive and then copy in those from the preset.

ie. enbhost.exe & d3d9.dll from the enbseries_skyrim_v026X.zip

I don't understand what the bolded part means, I followed the detailed instructions and put the three files from the wrapper version of enbseries_skyrim_v0264 into the Skyrim directory and modified the ini file.

Nozzer, I lowered memory to 10240 but vanilla and STEP Skyrim both still crash.

What preset are you using. What ENB?

According to the warning in the detailed instructions, I shouldn't install full ENB but just ENBoost memory managemnt. Which I for some reason thought was being done by following the relatively short instructions there. The link to the ENB site seemed like an afterthought, so I ignored it. Apparently that was a mistake since I still have to do the actual installation of ENBoost itself. Let's see how that goes.

In regards to presets (I now understand what that means) I'm undecided between Real Vision and Phinix Natural. Does Real Vision work with v0.264? If so I can go ahead and install the Memory Management and delay the decision. It sounds like MO Profiles would be a good way to try both. Always assuming of course that they both work with v0.264 which would mean that I don't need two separate STEP Core basic profiles.

Edited by Starfighter08

Profiles won't be any help as the files in the Skyrim folder won't change.

I believe 262 is needed for RealVision.

I'm pretty sure there is memory in ENB but you shouldn't load ENB and ENBBoost.

I reinstalled ENBoost accorting to the instructions here and haven't touched an ENB Preset but it's still crashing to desktop.

Another hunch, I removed the ENB files and started the game through MO/SKSE and it worked. I reached the main screen where you can start a new game.

I'm now sure that it's ENB specific trouble. Maybe a Moderator could move this thread over there.

Edited by Starfighter08

Wow. I can see why the confusion would arise.

I'm not on my computer right now, just my phone. Maybe some of the STEP staff can elaborate.

To my mind if I had your system I would go for a straight ENB preset and skip setting up the boost.

Not actually having a STEP setup I may be confusing you.