Random blank screen freezes using ENB

2Karl

Question

Hi All,

I've run into a strange problem using ENB with both the presets I have tried (Seasons of skyrim (tried all performance options, still occurs, Phenix). The game loads up fine and ENB is working well, I get a good framerate and all the post processing filters are active. However, randomly the game will suddenly switch to a blank screen (the colour varies with each freeze, anything from a pale yellow to a red to brown or even grey). Sound continues in the background, but everything is unresponsive; I cannot alt-tab or ctrl+alt+delete - I'm forced to reset.

I have played around with various settings both in enblocal.ini/enbseries.ini and within the in-game slector, but the problem persists. Becasue it appears to be random, I have no method of reproduction. It has occurred outside Whiterun, and around Riten where I have been testing the presets.

I have all of the STEP: Core and STEP: Extended mods installed.

My system specs are:

i74930K Extreme clocked to 4.5GHz

Gainward GTX780 Phantom GLH core clocked to 1085MHz, RAM clocked to 1701MHz

32Gb Corsair Vengeance Extreme

Asus P9X79LE Motheboard

I'm running Windows 8.1 and have the latest NVIDIA drivers

The above overclock is stable and cooling is adequate using the H100i, I am fairly confident that heat and associated problems are not the issue. I've been scouring the internet to find people who have had similar problems but I've not found anything which seems to be the same.

Any hope diagnosing or fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. If you require further info, please ask, I'll be able to submit my ini files when I get home from work.

Thanks,

Karl.

5 answers to this question

How long on average before it happens ? 

Can you just start the game using coc whiterunexterior01 and then walk around for like 10 mins and then it will happen or do you need to wait hours ? 

Also which versions of the ENB binary are you using ? 

Never heard of this particular issue before, so kinda interesting. 

It's usually within 10 to 30 minutes of starting the game. Note that I have only tried this from a savegame, I've not tried from a new game (although as I understand it ENB shouldn't be affected by that anyway). It's ocurred with 0.236, 0.262 and 0.264 of ENB.

Does it happen if you just use ENB and no mods other then SKSE

While ENB might be the reason, then it could be that some mod is the cause. And since you do not have to wait for ages for it to happen then it would be nice to have that out of the way! 

Well I've just tried resetting my VRAM clock to stock speeds, and given seasons of skyrim another whirl, and I've not had issues. I'm hesitant to say it's fixed, becasue the problem was so random, but I shall carry on trying. To be honest though, SoS didn't really give me the graphical look I was hoping for, so I might try a different preset. I will keep you updated if any additional freezes occur