Looking to buy a Computer...

phosphor

Hey, as the title says I'm looking to buy a computer. A nice one so that I don't, for the most part, have to make grand concessions when I add mods. I believe I know what I'm looking for... but I don't want to buy something then regret it quickly afterwards. So... I'd like a second opinion.

Here's what I'm looking at, what does anyone think?

Also, is it something that I can upgrade in the future? I know the limit on RAM but what about another video card or something? How do I know?

IBUYPOWER

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd be able to swap out most components in a desktop as long as the motherboard supports them (like larger sticks of RAM and a beefer video card). That is a fairly good system to start out with and I don't think you'd be disappointed in its performance. I have the GTX 760 4GB model is it handles Skyrim nicely.

Hrm... problem is I'm trying to buy everything through BestBuy. We have a card that is no interest for a year. So it's something we can pay off over the course. Would it still be cheaper? I had thought that since it was a bundled deal the parts they were giving were cheaper than individual?

Well. Best Buy price matches (Newegg, Amazon and a few other places if you call them for online orders or tell them as you're checking out in the store) and most of their stores have some of the components. I'd go with something like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/xdstt6

I've put the best prices in right now (more or less depending on how close the prices for Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy were). You should be able to have them price match it. The only part Best Buy doesn't have is the motherboard. They do have some EVGA motherboards but I'd have to research them some to see if they are the good EVGA models.

Well. Best Buy price matches (Newegg, Amazon and a few other places if you call them for online orders or tell them as you're checking out in the store) and most of their stores have some of the components. I'd go with something like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/phazer11/saved/xdstt6

I've put the best prices in right now (more or less depending on how close the prices for Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy were). You should be able to have them price match it. The only part Best Buy doesn't have is the motherboard. They do have some EVGA motherboards but I'd have to research them some to see if they are the good EVGA models.

+1 to this!  When I bought the power supply for my mom's computer from Best Buy, they were able to price match it to Amazon where it was on sale, so I got it for a steal.  Always shop around for the best prices, and never hesitate to ask about price matching.  Many online retailers even offer price matching.

I agree that the lack of details on the power supply and the motherboard are concerning...  Details like those should definitely be included in the listed information.  There's also no mention of the brand names of most of the components...  I like to know who makes what I'm buying when it comes to electronics, as some brands truly are superior to others.

Personally, after having done the research and building the PC that I own/use now, I'd never buy one pre-built.  Newegg is always having sales, so you can pick up components for great prices.  You could build yourself a killer machine, composed of brands/parts that YOU picked out and approved, for the same price as that pre-built one.

Edited by ADD1CTED_GAM3R

Just want to say thanks for all the comments. Especially thankful to Phazer for the system recommendation and the Bestbuy matching policy information. Excited to get a new system. I have an Asus laptop currently and it took a LOT of trial and error to get it to run smooth with the mods I've chosen. Lots of concessions, lots of DDSOPTing of textures.

Should be easier with a better system.

Just want to say thanks for all the comments. Especially thankful to Phazer for the system recommendation and the Bestbuy matching policy information. Excited to get a new system. I have an Asus laptop currently and it took a LOT of trial and error to get it to run smooth with the mods I've chosen. Lots of concessions, lots of DDSOPTing of textures.Should be easier with a better system.

It'll definitely get easier once you've got a better machine.  Don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be a piece of cake though; you'll still run into some problems.  'Tis the nature of the beast is all.

Before you purchase that machine (if you're still going to), you may want to give them a call or send them an e-mail and ask if they know the specifics of all of the components.  Brand names, models, etc.  It's always best (in my opinion) to know all of those details when it comes to a gaming rig.  ::):

I think at this juncture I'm going to get a system very similar to the one Phazer mentioned. I've a friend in the area, Rochester NY, who is willing to help me build it. This is daunting though, trying to make sure I get everything I need and that it is all compatible.

As to it being easier to MOD... I'm happy with the hurdles I've had to jump so far. Finally after many years and attempts I've a skyrim build that is going strong. Level 27. Having a blast. FPS is between 25 and 32 with a barebones vividian enb and rcrn. Not bad for a video card with 1gb. :)

It's always best (in my opinion) to know all of those details when it comes to a gaming rig.

This+1

If something needs to be troubleshooted then having an intimate knowledge of your components will be very helpful for you and anyone who helps you (you can give them very detailed info). IMO if you're going to buy a premade rig (because you just do not want to go through the hassle, no problem) you should go to your local pc shop. The guys there game and they can get your parts as cheap as you, they can assemble for $50-100 and they'll be able to fix it right away.

There's a big difference between the iBUY rig you linked to and the pcpartpicker link compiled by phazer (very good setup in my opinion).

The iBUY has an Intel i7 CPU. Phazer's is an Intel i5. i5 for Skyrim and most AAA pc games is adequate and $100 less than an i7. Phazer put that extra $100 into a GPU. A 4GB GTX 770; the same as me. I have over 130 plugins and am playing like just perfect.

I agree that Phazer's rig is probably better, at least as far as the GPU is concerned : I can't tell what a better CPU would do (it is the one I have) but the 760 2gb, while fine, requires more optimization than a 770 4gb (I'm missing those 2 additional gb) and is probably a bit weak when an enb is added. Not "unplayable weak" but definitely "not as smooth as possible weak".

This+1

If something needs to be troubleshooted then having an intimate knowledge of your components will be very helpful for you and anyone who helps you (you can give them very detailed info). IMO if you're going to buy a premade rig (because you just do not want to go through the hassle, no problem) you should go to your local pc shop. The guys there game and they can get your parts as cheap as you, they can assemble for $50-100 and they'll be able to fix it right away.

There's a big difference between the iBUY rig you linked to and the pcpartpicker link compiled by phazer (very good setup in my opinion).

The iBUY has an Intel i7 CPU. Phazer's is an Intel i5. i5 for Skyrim and most AAA pc games is adequate and $100 less than an i7. Phazer put that extra $100 into a GPU. A 4GB GTX 770; the same as me. I have over 130 plugins and am playing like just perfect.

Exactly.  I can't tell you how many times I've had friends of family members contact me and ask me to help them troubleshoot a problem with their computer, and they couldn't provide me all of the helpful information I was asking for.  Many times the brand or model of your components or a specific component won't matter when troubleshooting a problem, but there can definitely be times where that information is helpful.  Some brands or models of components truly are superior to others, some are prone to problems, and some need to be troubleshooted in a certain manner.  That's why this sort of information is very good to know.

I also agree that the system suggested by Phazer is probably a better build.  As far as I know, an Intel i7 CPU is overkill for a gaming rig, as is 16GB of RAM.  You'll generally only need that kind of CPU and RAM if you're going to be doing a lot of video and audio editing, such as making YouTube videos.  For gaming, an Intel i5 and 8GB of RAM should suit you perfectly for years to come.  Where you'll want to spend the extra money is on a nice SSD with plenty of space to hold your OS, important programs and files, and many of your games.  I store a my most demanding and most played games on my SSD, and the rest on an HDD.  You'll also want to make sure you're getting a nice graphics card; one that's relatively recent and high-end.  It doesn't have to be THE top of the line, but you should aim pretty high...

All in all, I think building one with the help of people here on the forums, on other forums such as Tom's Hardware, and maybe even the help of a local PC store is the way to go.  You can find great deals on Newegg all the time, and after a little bit of patience and picking up parts at the right times, you can can build a dynamite machine for a pretty great price.  My rig is a beast and it only cost me $1,100 because I found sales.  ::):

I think some of you may be missing one key piece here... Although the advice here has been true and solid, Phosphor was planning on financing the system and paying it off over time. This tends to point to the fact that he most likely doesn't have the $1200 to spend at this moment on various parts and components. If that is truly the case, then the option he's going for isn't a bad deal.