Is there a way to not clutter the /Skyrim folder with ENB presets?

Halde

Question

Hi all!

So looking into different ENB presets, not all preset clutter the /common/Skyrim folder. For instance, I have been looking into(and soon trying out) Skylight ENB, by this forums very own Aiyen, which have only a few files.

Another couple of ENB's I've looked into is Project ENB and True Vision ENB, which have a complete cluster**** of files, many of them being .txt documents. Now this kinda confuses me in case I would have to remove the ENB, due to not knowing which files to delete. An option would ofcause be to delete everything except for the Data folder, and then use Steam to get it back, but that takes time.

So I was wondering if there is a way to not clutter this path completely. Like adding a dummy folder or something to that effect, to keep all the files neatly in one place. I don't know a lot about how system and programs access files, and as such, I don't know if this would be possible, but I kinda hope it would be.

~Sincerely

Halde

3 answers to this question

You can move all files except enblocal.ini and enbseries.ini into the enbseries folder. Keep in mind that if the preset includes SweetFX then you will also need to keep its .dll and settings .txt file in the skyrim dir as well. Many older presets have not done this (Even mine is only pseudo sort of there.. but the next update will have everything in the enbseries folder that can be there.)

But it should keep it a bit cleaner. 

I always recommend to just learn which files are relevant... it is not that many. All the critical ones start with enb in their name. As well as the d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe 

If you try out something that includes sweetfx then that will be first in the name of its files. 

I always keep a copy of the more complex presets in a separate folder then I can always cross reference.. it is not like it is loads of extra space.. and then everything is just a copy paste away if I need or want to use it again. 

Alternatively you can try out the ENB manager mod... which can deal with most files.. however it does have a weird tendency to mess up causing all sorts of weird issues (Mostly due to not actually copying and removing the right files all the time I would guess). Hence I never recommend it. But it works for some. 

I've never had any issues with the ENB Manager and Changer https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24402 as described in Neo's guide. By using this you can switch easily between ENB configs (or no ENB at all).

I have an ENB Manager folder in my main Skyrim folder. Inside of that are a few other folders:

• ENB Versions > [ENB Version #] e.g. 0.254 > this folder is where the 2 main ENB files, ENBhost.exe and d3d9.dll, go
  • ENB Configs > [ENB preset of your choice] e.g. RealVision > this folder is where all of the other ENB preset files go (like enblocal.ini, enbseries.ini, etc.)

Posted Image

You can install the ENB main files and the ENB preset files through the ENB Manager GUI, but tbh I find it just as easy to do it via Explorer in Windows. Either way it's up to you. If you're doing it via ENB Manager, click New, name your preset, then click Add (under Files, for the preset files), then Add under ENB Version (for the main files).

Once you have these set up, you select your ENB version and preset, and click Activate. This will place all of the correct ENB files into your main folder. To get rid of ENB completely, open ENB Manager and select 'Disable ENB' then click Activate. Any time you change anything - edit your enblocal, drop in a new palette file, whatever - remember to open ENB Manager and click Activate.