Can't get Skyrim/ENBoost to use 6GB VRAM

retrok

Question

Hey everyone,

I bought a GTX 780 with 6GB of VRAM (I might run it in SLI in the future, but for now it's only a singe card), but I can't get Skyrim/ENBoost to use all of it. 

After some testing, it seems it always uses 4GB of VRAM. When I look at the Skyrim Perfomance Monitor while playing, the maximum VRAM used is always the VRAM used before starting Skyrim + 4GB (for example if I open a Video that uses 500MB of VRAM, I'm at 4,5GB when playing). 

That probably means that the card itself isn't the problem (or at least that it can use more than 4GB).

I use a lot of texture mods and Skyrim should use more than just 4GB with all of them installed.

If I set AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true, ENBoost also just detects 4GB of VRAM. I tried all kinds of settings for EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks, ReservedMemorySizeMb, VideoMemorySizeMb, EnableCompression and none of it changed the limitation.

I searched a lot, but I couldn't find a similiar problem anywhere. If anybody has some suggestion I would really appreciate it.

Edited by retrok

4 answers to this question

DirectX9 caps VRAM use at 4Gb. So this is entirely normal behavior. 

The main issue is that a few people since the inception of ENBoost have been saying they use more then 4Gb VRAM.. but like you have noticed then this amount is most likely from other processes then the game itself! 

DirectX9 caps VRAM use at 4Gb. So this is entirely normal behavior. 

The main issue is that a few people since the inception of ENBoost have been saying they use more then 4Gb VRAM.. but like you have noticed then this amount is most likely from other processes then the game itself! 

Wow, thanks for your quick reply :)

It really seems to be the case here. I read that the ReservedMemorySizeMb could help with cards that have more than 4GB VRAM, but it didn't change anything when I tried it.

So, there is no way around that limit with ENBoost? Is there any setting that could make use of the spare VRAM (ReservedMemorySizeMb, ...)?

Edited by retrok

Nope. Only way would be if bethesda decides they want to buy a few more years before the next TES title and recompile skyrim with dx11. 

The reserved one more or less only decides how much RAM you reserve to be used for the additional process(es) that ENBoost create. 

For skyrim then the limit is more bandwidth now then amount of memory. 

Nope. Only way would be if bethesda decides they want to buy a few more years before the next TES title and recompile skyrim with dx11. 

The reserved one more or less only decides how much RAM you reserve to be used for the additional process(es) that ENBoost create. 

For skyrim then the limit is more bandwidth now then amount of memory. 

Thanks a lot for your clarification. I'll probably cut the 4K textures then and live with a little bit of stutter.