MO wiped modlist.txt during STEP core install

FalloutPrime

Question

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Begin Important Part-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So MO crashed. During the process it wiped out my modlist.txt file. I had to manually create a blank .txt file with the same name in the proper place to even get MO to start afterwards. Upon startup, I see that my carefully downloaded and installed mod order is now completely re-organized, deactivated, and listed alphabetically. Is there any way for me to recover the old order? Or do I

just have to go down the list reordering everything according to the download order listed in the step core guide, then reactivate it in that order? Also following each mod specific instructions for hiding files and such.Am I basically starting over minus the downloading?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------End Important Part-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Seriously though MO? WTF??

I have been working on downloading the mods for a step core install for 3 ****ing days now, and I'm still only half done. Carefully downloading, and installing them in the proper order so that things are overwritten properly. I don't have a premium sub to nexus, so my download speeds are from the stone age.

This has got to be the most frustrating experience I have ever had modding skyrim EVER. S.T.E.P. is a pain in my rear. You should call this the Skyrim Total Exasperation Project. I'm not giving up, but for goodness's sake I'm steaming right now. WHEW!! If I had known for even a second that MO might do this, I would have backed up that damned file obsessively. MO drives me nuts in the first place because it's at best, spotty with it's handling of scripted installs for other mod managers(I had to fix a few of the archives myself, so they would install at all, like SkyUI, it's current installer breaks MO). Also, it has no ability to select multiple files simultaneously when hiding files in the data tab, while at the same time, closing the directory tree fully every time you hide something. It is EXTREMELY inefficient this way, and frustrating as all hell when you have a lot of files to hide. EDIT: I'm SUPER sorry if I have just repeat posted, or otherwise violated a forum guideline. I did a couple searches, and found nothing of the sort. Realizing this should be in the support and troubleshooting area. Sorry. Mods feel free to move it.

Edited by FalloutPrime

6 answers to this question

Odd, this has never happend to me. I actually can't remember if this works, but if you go into ModOrganizer/mods you see your all your mods. You might be able to change the date on which these folders was last changed, so that the oldest folder(the first installed folder, and the thusly, the first installed mod) is at the top of the list of mods. This might change the left list of mods in Mod Organizer. Don't hold me to my word though, as I have never actually tried this. But I can imagine it might work.

As for the rant about how frustrating STEP and Mod Organizer, I personally find it completly uncalled for. This is a completly optional guide, to help enhance the Vanilla game. As far as I know, It has been done voluntarily by the people who made it(as in, they didn't recieve money)(most notably "The Compiler" and "Tannin" I think). While Mod Organizer certainly is a more complicated Mod Manager, than say, NMM, it provide the user with a far more stable and more configurable playing experience.

STEP is an amazing compiliation and configuration of mods, and a guide on how best to utilize those mods. Spending two thirds of a post on bad critique, might not be a way to show appreciation of this complete piece of work(assuming you appreciate the work being done).

While it's all fine you are feeling frustrated(and understandable), I find that this is not the place to let loose and whine about a one-in-a-million-error, as if the creators and founders of this site has it in for you, personally. You should create a blog, and write about your anger towards optional Skyrim advice there.

~Sincerely

Halde

Edited by Halde

I appreciate your feedback and suggestion friend, honestly. But given that feedback, I'd like to say a few things so others don't get the wrong idea here.

I said nothing bad about the creators of STEP or MO. I am purely commenting about the STEP guide installation process and my experience with it. True, I could have said more about why I don't like it. Which lets face it, it's long, and fairly complicated to follow. MO makes the process both easier and safer(in theory). But that said, it still has things that are really frustrating to have to deal with.Telling me I'm whining about it is super rude though. I didn't take the time to write this out so you could insult me by comparing my thoughts and feelings to some crybaby. I would not do the same to you, even if I did not agree with your opinion. I might say I disagree with your post, and that I think it's unnecessary or uncalled for, as you did. Which is totally okay. But I would NOT call you a whiner for it. That's just not helpful or nice.

I don't think I'm whining at all. I feel I have a legitimate gripe. Also, I certainly never said anything about me being angry with the creators. They do amazing work, clearly. Or I would not even be attempting to use said work. I'm frustrated with the circumstances of this error, and the complexity of the guide. I never said that was the creators fault or responsibility, or that I thought they were messing with me. I just thought they might like to know how I'm feeling and thinking about the process and the tools involved.If I worked that hard to create something awesome, I'd def want to know how people feel and think about that work in any case. Yes, I'm expressing frustration, but I feel that I did so constructively, and respectfully. I'm sorry if you disagree. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

I have reposted this thread in the MO support section of the support and troubleshooting forums. 

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5070-mo-wiped-modlisttxt-during-step-core-install/?view=findpost&p=82249

Edited by FalloutPrime

I can see I might have jumped to conclusions. Sorry for that. Also, when I said whine, I didn't mean in it as "you are a crybaby", I meant it as a synonym for complaint, although I am aware of the negative connotations the word carries.

Most of it was based on the, what I found to be, an over-the-line comment that STEP causes more frustration than actual help, and that it might have been made to annoy the Skyrim community(I am no stranger to sarcasm, but the rest of the post kinda follows the same pattern).

But you are right, I probably didn't think my later comments all the way through(I wrote them in a bit of a haze as well, like 4am in the morning).

So to sum up, sorry for the deragatory comment on you, but I still feel it hold some validity(and again, I didn't mean "whine" as you being a crybaby:) )

Edited by Halde

I can understand your frustration, as exactly the same thing happened me, and more than once. I mean it, I was just as furious.

However, please respect our community rules and don't swear in your posts. Even if you'll censure it with asterisks, it's still a swearword. Please treat this as a verbal warning.

Useful tip: you can backup and then restore both your load order (right hand pane) and install order (left hand pane) by using one of the little icons above both lists.

@staff: perhaps we should add this information at the very beginning of the guide.

I can understand your frustration, as exactly the same thing happened me, and more than once. I mean it, I was just as furious.However, please respect our community rules and don't swear in your posts. Even if you'll censure it with asterisks, it's still a swearword. Please treat this as a verbal warning.Useful tip: you can backup and then restore both your load order (right hand pane) and install order (left hand pane) by using one of the little icons above both lists.@staff: perhaps we should add this information at the very beginning of the guide.

You are correct. I need not swear, even with asterisks. I absolutely will never do that again on this forum. I sincerely apologize to any that were offended. Truly. I mean no disrespect to the community or any individuals. Thanks for your understanding.