Sign in to follow this  
EssArrBee

So SSDs are about to get way better

Firmware Breakthrough for SSDs

Some nice Japanese researchers found out how to increase speed and overall life of SSDs by solving the major issues with write to the drive.

Basic idea is that you cannot overwrite the drives if data occupies the space you want to write to. You have to write to a different unoccupied area and then mark the other data as invalid or ready for deletion, then write the new data to that sector which creates fragmentation. This solves the issue by using a much more efficient algorithm to write new data on already fragmented sectors and comes up with a basic garbage collection system for SSDs.

The data is written to the first sector that is marked for deletion instead saving about 55% of writes and increasing overall speed by 300%. I'd say in real world you would only get about 200% increase due to the varied type and size of your writes. Also, SATA 3 is limited to ~600MB/s and the fastest SSDs on the market are ~500MB/s, so 300% increase is ~1.5GB/s. SATA Express (~1.9GB/s limit) will have to be adopted very soon so new drives can be supported.

So, basically I can turn my SSD into a huge RAM disk? Sounds good to me... 

*Dream Bubble Burst* SATA3 buts its ugly head in my dreams and screams, "No RAM DISK FOR YOUZ!"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Majorman
      Finally, with the recent drop in SSD prices, I have now ordered a SSD. Naturally, I plan to migrate my modded FNV from the HHD to the new location in order to optimize load time.

I have read a guide on how to do it and for the time being, do not plan to use Steam Mover. However, I would very much appreciate your insights on how to migrate my mods properly without screwing up my savegames. This will help with preparation immensely.

First of all, I would like to know whether during migration/Steam verification (after migrating the files), Steam will replace my modified .ini files and the 4GB-enabled .exe and delete NVSE?
      Secondly, I expect that I will have to fix all links to the FNV installation folder. This includes game utilities (xEdit, LOOT, Merge Plugins, etc.) installed in an separate location, but what about the ones installed in the game folder (MO Legacy, Wrye Bash)?
      Thirdly, how to migrate successfully assets located under C:/Users (I believe that there are some .ini files and savegames there)?

Is there something else I should be careful about?

Thanks in advance for any help in this.
    • By amadeok
      Hello, 
      I have a small question. I managed to achieve virtually no stutter in Skyrim with vanilla ENB v0305 and other minor mods, but when i apply Dyndolod in high settings, stutter occurs. Is this indicative of a storage resources bottleneck? My system:

i5 3470
      GTX 970
      Asus P8H61-MX USB3
      HDD SEAGATE 2TB ST2000DM001 7200rpm 64MB Barracuda
      8GB RAM Vengeance
      Seasonic PSU 620W
      Win 8.1

I attached my mod list and this my enblocal.ini(i didnt change anything on it):

I plan on fixing this by getting an SSD.

• By Rebel47
      Ok so I have an issue that I am having trouble resolving and would love to know what other peoples experiences are with this, I have a Samsung 840 Evo Pro 500GB and I turned on Rapid mode and since doing that I've noticed that my skyrim will stutter uncontrollably when turning even with the enb turned off, I'm not sure if it's related to Rapid mode or not but would love to see what other people's mileage with this is.