Wrye Bash through MO to create bashed patch

oqhansoloqo

Question

First of all, let me start of by saying that I HATE HATE HATE  Wrye Bash.  HATE IT! &(*&%.  OK...  So apparently STEP now has a part that requires Wrye Bash for creating a bashed patch of a STEP installation.  So I finally HAVE to install Wrye Bash in order to do this... *sigh*  I do it, and it creates a bunch of new files and directories outside of its program directory (go figure... knew it would do something obnoxious like that...).  I load up Mod Organizer and try to load Wrye Bash from MO.  A load screen flashes by really quickly along with a second window with text, and then both disappear so fast that nothing can be read...  So it doesn't load up properly.  So I think, "maybe I should edit the security privileges of Wrye Bash's .exe file to give my Windows account full access to the file (even though the file was never installed in the Program Files directory)".  Didn't do anything... So I think, "maybe I should start MO with admin privileges and then run Wrye Bash through it that way.  Worked.  OK, so I noticed my .esp files and whatnot in the proper order in Wrye Bash and followed STEP instructions for creating the bashed patch.  Quit Wrye Bash (yay!...) and loaded MO back up.  WTF!!!  All my mods were deselected and (worse) all mods were re-arranged into alpha-numeric order.  So I re-arranged one mod and then quit MO.  Re-loaded... same state.  Re-loaded Wrye Bash through MO with admin privs and then quit Wrye Bash without doing anything.  Loaded MO back up - that 1 out of alpha numeric order mod was put back into order.

Why is Wrye Bash doing this, and how do I stop it?  Why are bashed patches important, because I want to blow up my harddrive just to gain the satisfaction from knowing that I obliterated Wrye Bash.  I can't stand that program...

15 answers to this question

I just re-installed. Didn't solve the problem. But then it did. :) . . .

So I originally tried to follow the instructions provided by STEP for installation, which appeared to me to be: get the installer and then in the installer check off Skyrim and Standalone, etc... THIS IS THE PROBLEM. The installer is SH*T. The second time I did it this way, following STEP's instructions, it didn't work right and I had to use Admin Privs to load it up, and then it would proceed re-organize my MO mod list every time.

The solution: F*(% the installer. Get the pure standalone. No need to get the installer in order to try to have it load the standalone. The pure standalone version of Wrye Bash was all that was needed. For one, it doesn't have to be run with admin privs every time. For another, it doesn't re-order MO's mod list. YES!!!

I PROPOSE AN AMENDMENT TO STEP! Instead of recommending the installer. Say: "do NOT get the installer - get the "Wrye Bash 304_3 - Standalone Executable" file, or you will regret it."

Once upon a time I, like you, hated Wrye Bash. Then I discovered that the most important feature of it, the ability to create a Bashed Patch, is incredibly simple to use and can work wonders in making incompatible mods work together. Now, I never play any game that supports it without it, and I still know nothing more about how to use it than how to create a basic Bashed Patch.

If you install it in a fodler of its own, it will not mess up your game. My folder structure, to bypass Windows 7's User Annoyance Confounder (UAC), is like so:

C:Games

C:GamesBOSS

C:Games (other stuff)

C:GamesNexus Mod Manager

C:GamesSkyrim

C:GamesSkyrim mods (where Wrye Bash puts MY Skyrim files, don't know why yours would not be here)

C:GamesStar Citizen

Though I haven't used Mod Organizer (yet), I've used xxxxEdit, FoMM, NMM and other similar tools and am pretty confident in my knowledge and use of them. Since I have no problems other than the usual issues from changing/adding/removing mods in the middle of the game (I am my own worst enemy), I can see one of three things as possible alternative explanations for your problem, though I am not saying any of them is necessarily the case:

1) You did something wrong when you installed Wrye Bash

2) You did something wrong when you installed Mod Organizer

3) You failed to do whatever it takes to get the two working together correctly

One thing you might want to consider is reinstalling everything clean from scratch with no mods installed and making sure everything is in its own private place, especially when you are dealing with programs that are utilities for multiple games. BOSS, MO, NMM, Wrye Bash and so on should not be in sub-folders of any game, even if you only use them with one (I made that mistake one time, took me weeks [!] to figure the problem out, including several restores of Skyrim from a clean WinRAR archive).

Upon further reading, there is also at least one update to Wrye Bash that fixes some compatibility issues between MO and WB which might make a difference for you. Given the date of your OP I am thinking this would be likely, and no changes to STEP would be necessary (the WB installer is much prefferable to the standalone).

Edited by GlassDeviant

I lost you at the "HATE Wrye Bash" part. :O_o:

Wrye Bash is awesome, Bash Patches are an absolute necessity if you want to use more than one mod that effects the same leveled lists.

I used the Wrye Bash installer and placed the files where I wanted them. The Mopy folder is in my Skyrim Directory actually.

Only issue I had with Wrye Bash...I had over 700+ saved games...WB freaked out didn't fully load and disabled all my mods. This was fixed by removing some of the save file files, keeping it under 700 seemed to be the "fix".

Also, I keep my MO Profiles folder backed up...so I can restore things if they get borked as they did when WB freaked.

Edited by Kuldebar

I use Wrye Bash all the time now for bashed patches.  I never had it installed in program files directory.  I wrote this back when I first tried to install it and follow STEP instructions completely.  But like I said, the installer was screwing things up and the standalone version worked.  The instructions in the STEP guides for installing Wrye Bash led me down a path that didn't work.  Making the change by installing the standalone and not using the installer simplified the installation and upon doing so it worked properly.

On a side note, now that Mod Organizer allows mod and plugin list orders to be saved and restored, when something unwantedly reorders the mod lists, it doesn't matter too much because it's easy to restore to a previous state.  I was PISSED when I wrote that message because I spent over an hour reorganizing my mod order after Wrye Bash screwed it up.

I use Wrye Bash all the time now for bashed patches.  I never had it installed in program files directory.  I wrote this back when I first tried to install it and follow STEP instructions completely.  But like I said, the installer was screwing things up and the standalone version worked.  The instructions in the STEP guides for installing Wrye Bash led me down a path that didn't work.  Making the change by installing the standalone and not using the installer simplified the installation and upon doing so it worked properly.

On a side note, now that Mod Organizer allows mod and plugin list orders to be saved and restored, when something unwantedly reorders the mod lists, it doesn't matter too much because it's easy to restore to a previous state.  I was PISSED when I wrote that message because I spent over an hour reorganizing my mod order after Wrye Bash screwed it up.

Just saw the date, figures the one time I read the OP to ensure my post is appropriately applicable it turns out to be an old topic lol.

BTW - I'm using Wrye Flash (yes, it's for Fallout New Vegas, but it's similar enough) for Fallout New Vegas and I'm trying to create a brand new bashed patch.  I accidentally deleted the one that was originally there.  Is there a way to create a new one?  I cannot figure it out.  Wrye Bash has an option to do it by right-clicking the "File" header in the "Mods" section and clicking on an option in there, but Wrye Flash seems to not...

EDIT: found another copy of it in the mopy/templates directory and that works.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I also learned how to use TES5Edit to make my own patches, since STEP Patches do not carry over all USKP fixes that one of the STEP Extended included mods that hasn't been updated in ages blocks out.  I also have a bunch of non-STEP mod conflicts that I needed to sort out myself.

Personally I love Wrye Bash, simply because it is great for patches tuning leveled lists and merging mods.

The idea is simply great, and until there will be another one that makes such a brilliant tool to do the same job I will continue to use it saying thanks to the creator.

My workflow is simple:

LOOT, WRYEBASH, drag the report files into the created mod WRYEBASH PATCH.0 CONTAINER in Mod Organizer, run SKSE.

I'm writing here because I want to highlight a problem that I think perhaps someone has using Mod Organizer.

When I create a bashed patch the report file shown in the window is the previous run one, because WRYE sees THAT file as the created file.

I realized this because I have a CDT problem that I'm trying to isolate adding a mod after another, since the same save will crash in the same cell it crashed before.

So I have seen that there is such a problem. 

The virtual filesystem that MO shows to Wryebash is not including the physical directory where Wryebash go to write.

BUT...

when I drop the new reports into the CREATED MOD, replacing the previous ones, they are the good ones !

Is anybody who is experiencing the same problem ?

Personally I love Wrye Bash, simply because it is great for patches tuning leveled lists and merging mods.

The idea is simply great, and until there will be another one that makes such a brilliant tool to do the same job I will continue to use it saying thanks to the creator.

My workflow is simple:

LOOT, WRYEBASH, drag the report files into the created mod WRYEBASH PATCH.0 CONTAINER in Mod Organizer, run SKSE.

I'm writing here because I want to highlight a problem that I think perhaps someone has using Mod Organizer.

When I create a bashed patch the report file shown in the window is the previous run one, because WRYE sees THAT file as the created file.

I realized this because I have a CDT problem that I'm trying to isolate adding a mod after another, since the same save will crash in the same cell it crashed before.

So I have seen that there is such a problem. 

The virtual filesystem that MO shows to Wryebash is not including the physical directory where Wryebash go to write.

BUT...

when I drop the new reports into the CREATED MOD, replacing the previous ones, they are the good ones !

Is anybody who is experiencing the same problem ?

Are you referring to the phenomenon reported here?

If so, could I ask you to add your details to that thread? It is currently an active bug report but since very few users seem to experience it it is hard to pin down what the culprit is.

I'm especially interested in your system's browser, ie. Chrome, Firefox, etc. and if it is a 64bit version. Also the paths to all the tools used: Wrye Bash, MO, Skyrim, etc., to see if Windows UAC has any bearing on it.