You Can Now Open NXM Files Using Multiple Programs

Uhuru

Question

Nexus becoming multi-game means you may want to use NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) for games not supported by Mod Organizer which means you want to associate NXM links with more than one program.
Windows only allows one program, so forget it because you can't OK.

Tannin says that's not good enough and has found a solution !!!

Discussing this topic on Nexus he has posted this:

No, wait, don't start editing your registry just yet.

When MO installs itself as the handler for nxm links, it actually installs the tool "nxmhandler.exe" as handler for those links. nxmhandler is part of MO and what it does is analyse the link and depending on the game start a different program.
So what you want is already possible: Start up nxmhandler.exe directly and you should see a table that lists game names and the programs to handle the downloads. What you want is to configure it to say "Skyrim - ModOrganizer.exe", "Other - NexusModManager.exe"

So Tannin's NXMHandler tool will allow setting this for every game you wish.

Another Possible Issue this could solve is when I Checked this out of the many games I am using Mod Organizer on.

• Officially Supported
  • Skyrim
  • Oblivion
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Unofficially Supported (These can Potentially be a Modded Profile of parent game which is named in brackets or separately installed as stand alone which can be swapped with main game in Steam's Common Folder. I'm Testing both for best way).
  • Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Oblivion)
  • Skywind (Skyrim)
  • Skyblivion (Skyrim)
  • Moroblivion (Oblivion)
  • Officially Unsupported (We will help with this if possible but Tannin will not fix any bugs that affect this game ever)
  • Morrowind

Only Fallout: New Vegas which was the last one I set up was listed as opening links when I tested this. So even if you have multiple Mod Organizer controlled Games only you should set them properly here, though I know of no issues caused by this a potential source of problems that can be easily eliminated should be.
If you run the Nexus NXM File Association Handler (NXMHandler) you see the Images (Setting it to open inside Mod Organizer is convenient but not required. Right Click anywhere below current entry brings up Add Button as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818488049.png

Left Click on Add Button brings up a Dialog Window. Left Click on Game Name to select chosen new game and then Left Click on Browse Files “ … †Button to choose Associated Mod Manager as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818488657.png

Left Click on OK Button Closes the Dialog Window with your choices applied, as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818489369.png

Repeat for all supported games you are running.

Unofficially supported use parent game associations so treat as such, if you're running as Stand Alone Games the setting would be using my File paths (your path may be different)

• Skywind Settings
  • Game = Skyrim
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Skywind\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Skyblivion Settings

• Game = Skyrim
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Skyblivion\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Nehrim: At Fate's Edge Settings

• Game = Oblivion
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Nehrim\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Morroblivion Settings

• Game = Oblivion
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Morroblivion\ModOrganizer.Exe

This brings up the only issue I can see hear where only one none Mod Organizer supported Game is actually available, as the name Other is not a placeholder, its the only name choice.

post-1017-13934818490113.png

Here I've entered two additional games and both are named other, this is a existing limitation and functionality to enter new names for more games should hopefully be easily implimented by Tannin in a future update.

post-1017-13934818490773.png

All the current games and the Other choice can be set for any manager using this that can use the NXM association, this means Mod Organizer and Nexus Mod Manager. Currently no other manager can use the Download with Manager function that I'm aware of.
This is not a new function, it is an existing ability of Mod Organizer, that Tannin has realised solves the problem of multiple games wanting to use File Association to different Mod Managers.
If I know Tannin, he's already thought of how to expand this feature into the proper configuration the new situation requires and it is yet another example of why we all use this supremely capable tool.

I'm sure NMM will never have this functionality as it tries to become the one manager to rule them all or as I think of it;
The Jack of All Games but Master of None.

I choose to use Multiple Managers and they're all Mod Organizer !!! (Wrye Mash may have it beat for Morrowind, only may and Mod Organizer isn't even made for Morrowind)

post-1017-13934818488049_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818488657_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818489369_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818490113_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818490773_thumb.png

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for writing this down, it's a huge help.

Please note that to a large part setting this up is automated. When you click the globe icon in Mod Organizer it will register this instance of MO as the handler for the currently managed game.

Example:

Say you have NMM installed. Then you install MO for Skyrim, click the globe icon then install MO for FNV, click the globe icon then the situation is as follows:

You have nxmhandler.exe twice for each MO installation but only the first (the one in your Skyrim MO) is active and it should have a setup like this:

Skyrim -

Fallout NV -

Skyrim, Fallout NV, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Others -

The games will be picked top to bottom so even though NMM can handle NewVegas Links, MO gets called. Should you deinstall the NV MO, NMM will handle the links again.

Others means "all games not on the list". The above setup means NMM gets to handle fallout3, oblivion and any other game. It's not a placeholder, it's a catch-all.

And the games supported here are only games that have nexusmod pages. Nehrim isn't it's own game on nexus so there is no point setting it up here, there are no nehrim-nxm links.

And Morrowind isn't officially supported by MO.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing: If MO is already running, all downloads go to the running instance no matter what has been set up in nxmhandler. I know this isn't intuitive but since multiple running instances of MO aren't possible atm I've found no proper way to work around this (except for stopping the running MO and starting the right one but that seems like a sub-optimal solution)

Thanks for the clarifications.

With the always use active Mod Organizer function, intuitive or not, you have once again provided a working practical solution, that's so efficient and functional, no one even noticed it until this Nexus reorganization.

It doesn't matter if it's intuitive, it just works well and that's the real distinction of great software, to just work

Nerhim, Skywind etc. are supported as they are just Mods in reality and most will install them as such. It is possible to have a separate game install and switch the two in steam, either by renaming or using Symbolic Links to the alternate locations and in such cases the active version is still named Skyrim or Oblivion for it to work in Steam.

Total Conversion Mods like Nerhim and Skywind generally install files above the Data folder. Using the simplest install method of an automated installer will place files ithe real Data Folder.

So for those who don't want to manually separate the Data folder contents but still want an empty Data folder the Two Separate game method is the only option.

Morrowind I provide help and advice for but always make clear that it is not an Officially Supported Game and no bug fixes will occur ever.

Other

Placeholder was a bad word choice I meant that it is is not not replaced by the Other games name.

The important point that needs further clarification is when more than one Other Game is wanted to be opened by NMM, will only the 1st one actually work given that they are both named "Other".

If this is the case simply allowing renaming games would appear to solve the problem.

I don't know how easy that is or how hard.

Hi guys!

I just picked up Dragon Age Origins, and, of course, I'd like to mod it too. Since I haven't had nmm installed for a very long time, I downloaded v.0.46.0 and installed. I found my way to this thread and tried to use nxmhandler.exe to register MO for Skyrim and nmm for Dragon Age Origins, but I must have messed up pretty badly!

When I use "DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER" on a DA:O mod, I get a "no handlers found" popup message from MO. ("No application registered to handle this game.") When I use "DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER" on a Skyrim mod, I get an error message inside of MO: "Fail to request file info from nexus: error downloading."

Can anyone get me going in the right direction?

That might be the nexus' date=' I've been downloading and testing mods all day and have had to download them all manually. MO would not work for me at all. You might have set it right, but the site is experiencing problems.[/quote']

Ah ... OK, then. I'll sit tight then, and see how it pans out ...

okay.. I'm at a lost.After seeing the announcement yesterday regarding the release date of Dragon Age Inquisition, I wanted to go back and play through DA:O and DA2.Since MO doesn't support these games, I tried to follow this guide, but I'm not having any luck.MO still wants to handle the "download with manager" when I'm trying to D/L DA:O or DA2 mods from the Nexus.

I set the following using the nxmhandler.exe

Skyrim : C:GamesMod OrganizerModOrganizer.exeOther : C:GamesNexus Mod ManagerNexusClient.exe

I am running MO V1.12 and the latest NMM (0.49.4)

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

[ghost] 

I think I have found the answer to this. I don't have any of the dragons age games, but I got it to work with State of Decay.

Look in the url of the home page of the game you want to use for the name of the game. In the case of dragon age it will be nexusmods.com/dragonage. Change other to dragonage in the nxm handler.

State of decay was stateofdecay.

Dragon Age 2 would be dragonage2

Try this and report back.

As promised here is a procedure on how to use nxmhandler.exe to allow NMM to work along side MO. Please be aware that I consider this a hack. This may not be the way Tannin intended NXMhandler.exe to be used and as such may break something else. Also the functionality of nxmhandler.exe may change in future versions of MO and may render this information useless.

When first run, Mod Organizer sets up an association with the NXM link in Nexus network to handle the download with manager button on the Nexus network. This association unfortunately is all encompassing and steals the association from Nexus Mod Manager. Mod organizer only supports Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Skyrim while Nexus Mod manager supports more games.

If you are using Nexus mod manager to manage other games that MO does not support you cannot use the download with manager button as it is associated with MO.

The solution to this problem is provide in the ModOrganizer folder in the form of a program called nxmhandler.exe. This little program will allow you to associate another mod organizer to handle nxm links alongside mod Organizer.

To set up an association to another game and another mod organizer do the following:

• Navigate to the ModOrganizer folder and look for nxmhandler.exe. Double click on it to run the program.
  • In the nxm handler window you should see all the associations assigned to Mod Organizer.
  • In a blank area of the window, right click and select Add. This will open a new window with a supported games box and a file browser button.
  • Select “Other†from the supported games section.
  • Press the button to open the file browser and navigate to the new client that will handle this association. Nexus mod manager for example. Some-path/Nexus Mod Manager/NexusClient.exe and click open. You will be returned to the add dialog. Click OK to close the Add dialog
  • You should now have an entry with “other†as the supported game and the path to NexusClient.exe.
  • Now we need to determine the name of the game to associate with NMM.
  • Navigate to the Nexus network game list. Scroll to the name of the game you want to use and click on the link. When the home page of the game you want to use is loaded, look at the URL in the browser address field. At the end of the URL there will be the name of the game. An example for Dargon Age 2 would be https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage2. We are interested in the last part, dragonage2. Highlight it and copy it to the Windows clip board.
  • Go back to the nxmhandler window and double click on “other†in the supported games section. This will allow you to edit the name. Delete “other†and paste the contents of the clipboard in its place. You should now have dragonage2 as the game and the path to NMM. Click close to finish. You should now have an association to Dragon Age 2 that will work alongside what is associated with Mod Organizer.
  • If you need to associate multiple games to NMM you can just find the name of the game in the URL as described above and run nxmhandler.exe again. Double click on the supported game entry that point to NMM and add it to the name. Separate the names with a comma. This last one is untested, but when investigating this my results suggest that this is to be true.

Good thing I saw this. I use NMM for FO3 and FO:NV, and MO for Skyrim. With this, whenever I dowload a fallout mod in nexus by clicking the 'Download from Manager' button, it opens NMM, and for Skyrim mods, it opens MO. Thanks!

So, I've been having trouble alternating between my modded Skyrim, which uses MO, and my modded Fallout 4, which currently uses Nexus. Now, I know about NXM Handler, but either it just isn't working for Fallout 4, or, probably more likely, I'm doing it wrong, because all the posts explaining the process are like two years old. I've spent literally hours digging through forums to no avail. Is there a way to do this? If not, is there a way to manually disassociate MO from the Nexus, that way I can do just that when I switch between the two? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Run the "nxmhandler.exe" tool in your Skyrim folder and note that ALL games are currently being managed by either NMM or MO.

On the line that manages Skyrim ensure that MO is still managing mods for that game. On your FO4 line change the executable name and path to point to NMM.

It should look something like this:

skyrim | D:\Games\ModOrganizer\FNV\ModOrganizer.exe

fallout4 | D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\NexusClient.exe

I am having the same problem as thebluebridgetroll I can not get NMM to handle Fallout4's mods.  I ran the "nxmhandler.exe" tool and it is set up properly.  I even watched Gophers video to make sure I had not done something stupid and its exactly as it should be yet every time I try to download a Fallout 4 mod Mod Organizer opens and tells me it is not set up to handle mods for that game.  I ha ve also tried it with Witcher 3 and its the same thing, Mod Organizer opens and tells me its not set up to handle Witcher 3 mods. 

I have tried changeing the drive to the same one I have Mod Organizer on but it makes no difference it just wont work for me.  has anyone got any advice or sugestions I can try please.