You Can Now Open NXM Files Using Multiple Programs

Uhuru

Question

Nexus becoming multi-game means you may want to use NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) for games not supported by Mod Organizer which means you want to associate NXM links with more than one program.
Windows only allows one program, so forget it because you can't OK.

Tannin says that's not good enough and has found a solution !!!

Discussing this topic on Nexus he has posted this:

No, wait, don't start editing your registry just yet.

When MO installs itself as the handler for nxm links, it actually installs the tool "nxmhandler.exe" as handler for those links. nxmhandler is part of MO and what it does is analyse the link and depending on the game start a different program.
So what you want is already possible: Start up nxmhandler.exe directly and you should see a table that lists game names and the programs to handle the downloads. What you want is to configure it to say "Skyrim - ModOrganizer.exe", "Other - NexusModManager.exe"

So Tannin's NXMHandler tool will allow setting this for every game you wish.

Another Possible Issue this could solve is when I Checked this out of the many games I am using Mod Organizer on.

• Officially Supported
  • Skyrim
  • Oblivion
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Unofficially Supported (These can Potentially be a Modded Profile of parent game which is named in brackets or separately installed as stand alone which can be swapped with main game in Steam's Common Folder. I'm Testing both for best way).
  • Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Oblivion)
  • Skywind (Skyrim)
  • Skyblivion (Skyrim)
  • Moroblivion (Oblivion)
  • Officially Unsupported (We will help with this if possible but Tannin will not fix any bugs that affect this game ever)
  • Morrowind

Only Fallout: New Vegas which was the last one I set up was listed as opening links when I tested this. So even if you have multiple Mod Organizer controlled Games only you should set them properly here, though I know of no issues caused by this a potential source of problems that can be easily eliminated should be.
If you run the Nexus NXM File Association Handler (NXMHandler) you see the Images (Setting it to open inside Mod Organizer is convenient but not required. Right Click anywhere below current entry brings up Add Button as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818488049.png

Left Click on Add Button brings up a Dialog Window. Left Click on Game Name to select chosen new game and then Left Click on Browse Files “ … †Button to choose Associated Mod Manager as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818488657.png

Left Click on OK Button Closes the Dialog Window with your choices applied, as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818489369.png

Repeat for all supported games you are running.

Unofficially supported use parent game associations so treat as such, if you're running as Stand Alone Games the setting would be using my File paths (your path may be different)

• Skywind Settings
  • Game = Skyrim
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Skywind\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Skyblivion Settings

• Game = Skyrim
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Skyblivion\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Nehrim: At Fate's Edge Settings

• Game = Oblivion
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Nehrim\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Morroblivion Settings

• Game = Oblivion
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Morroblivion\ModOrganizer.Exe

This brings up the only issue I can see hear where only one none Mod Organizer supported Game is actually available, as the name Other is not a placeholder, its the only name choice.

post-1017-13934818490113.png

Here I've entered two additional games and both are named other, this is a existing limitation and functionality to enter new names for more games should hopefully be easily implimented by Tannin in a future update.

post-1017-13934818490773.png

All the current games and the Other choice can be set for any manager using this that can use the NXM association, this means Mod Organizer and Nexus Mod Manager. Currently no other manager can use the Download with Manager function that I'm aware of.
This is not a new function, it is an existing ability of Mod Organizer, that Tannin has realised solves the problem of multiple games wanting to use File Association to different Mod Managers.
If I know Tannin, he's already thought of how to expand this feature into the proper configuration the new situation requires and it is yet another example of why we all use this supremely capable tool.

I'm sure NMM will never have this functionality as it tries to become the one manager to rule them all or as I think of it;
The Jack of All Games but Master of None.

I choose to use Multiple Managers and they're all Mod Organizer !!! (Wrye Mash may have it beat for Morrowind, only may and Mod Organizer isn't even made for Morrowind)

post-1017-13934818488049_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818488657_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818489369_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818490113_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818490773_thumb.png

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question