You Can Now Open NXM Files Using Multiple Programs

Uhuru

Question

Nexus becoming multi-game means you may want to use NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) for games not supported by Mod Organizer which means you want to associate NXM links with more than one program.
Windows only allows one program, so forget it because you can't OK.

Tannin says that's not good enough and has found a solution !!!

Discussing this topic on Nexus he has posted this:

No, wait, don't start editing your registry just yet.

When MO installs itself as the handler for nxm links, it actually installs the tool "nxmhandler.exe" as handler for those links. nxmhandler is part of MO and what it does is analyse the link and depending on the game start a different program.
So what you want is already possible: Start up nxmhandler.exe directly and you should see a table that lists game names and the programs to handle the downloads. What you want is to configure it to say "Skyrim - ModOrganizer.exe", "Other - NexusModManager.exe"

So Tannin's NXMHandler tool will allow setting this for every game you wish.

Another Possible Issue this could solve is when I Checked this out of the many games I am using Mod Organizer on.

• Officially Supported
  • Skyrim
  • Oblivion
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Unofficially Supported (These can Potentially be a Modded Profile of parent game which is named in brackets or separately installed as stand alone which can be swapped with main game in Steam's Common Folder. I'm Testing both for best way).
  • Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Oblivion)
  • Skywind (Skyrim)
  • Skyblivion (Skyrim)
  • Moroblivion (Oblivion)
  • Officially Unsupported (We will help with this if possible but Tannin will not fix any bugs that affect this game ever)
  • Morrowind

Only Fallout: New Vegas which was the last one I set up was listed as opening links when I tested this. So even if you have multiple Mod Organizer controlled Games only you should set them properly here, though I know of no issues caused by this a potential source of problems that can be easily eliminated should be.
If you run the Nexus NXM File Association Handler (NXMHandler) you see the Images (Setting it to open inside Mod Organizer is convenient but not required. Right Click anywhere below current entry brings up Add Button as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818488049.png

Left Click on Add Button brings up a Dialog Window. Left Click on Game Name to select chosen new game and then Left Click on Browse Files “ … †Button to choose Associated Mod Manager as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818488657.png

Left Click on OK Button Closes the Dialog Window with your choices applied, as shown in next image.

post-1017-13934818489369.png

Repeat for all supported games you are running.

Unofficially supported use parent game associations so treat as such, if you're running as Stand Alone Games the setting would be using my File paths (your path may be different)

• Skywind Settings
  • Game = Skyrim
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Skywind\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Skyblivion Settings

• Game = Skyrim
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Skyblivion\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Nehrim: At Fate's Edge Settings

• Game = Oblivion
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Nehrim\ModOrganizer.Exe

[*]Morroblivion Settings

• Game = Oblivion
  • Path = D:\ModOrganizer\Morroblivion\ModOrganizer.Exe

This brings up the only issue I can see hear where only one none Mod Organizer supported Game is actually available, as the name Other is not a placeholder, its the only name choice.

post-1017-13934818490113.png

Here I've entered two additional games and both are named other, this is a existing limitation and functionality to enter new names for more games should hopefully be easily implimented by Tannin in a future update.

post-1017-13934818490773.png

All the current games and the Other choice can be set for any manager using this that can use the NXM association, this means Mod Organizer and Nexus Mod Manager. Currently no other manager can use the Download with Manager function that I'm aware of.
This is not a new function, it is an existing ability of Mod Organizer, that Tannin has realised solves the problem of multiple games wanting to use File Association to different Mod Managers.
If I know Tannin, he's already thought of how to expand this feature into the proper configuration the new situation requires and it is yet another example of why we all use this supremely capable tool.

I'm sure NMM will never have this functionality as it tries to become the one manager to rule them all or as I think of it;
The Jack of All Games but Master of None.

I choose to use Multiple Managers and they're all Mod Organizer !!! (Wrye Mash may have it beat for Morrowind, only may and Mod Organizer isn't even made for Morrowind)

post-1017-13934818488049_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818488657_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818489369_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818490113_thumb.png

post-1017-13934818490773_thumb.png

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am having the same problem as thebluebridgetroll I can not get NMM to handle Fallout4's mods.  I ran the "nxmhandler.exe" tool and it is set up properly.  I even watched Gophers video to make sure I had not done something stupid and its exactly as it should be yet every time I try to download a Fallout 4 mod Mod Organizer opens and tells me it is not set up to handle mods for that game.  I ha ve also tried it with Witcher 3 and its the same thing, Mod Organizer opens and tells me its not set up to handle Witcher 3 mods. 

I have tried changeing the drive to the same one I have Mod Organizer on but it makes no difference it just wont work for me.  has anyone got any advice or sugestions I can try please.

Welcome to STEP @Cheeka

Since you read the post by @thebluebridgetroll can I assume you also read my post that followed it? The instructions to use NMM for Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and MO for other games is there.

You simply need to ensure the games you want handled by NMM are correctly shown to be doing so, as I gave the example for.

Welcome to STEP @Cheeka

Since you read the post by @thebluebridgetroll can I assume you also read my post that followed it? The instructions to use NMM for Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and MO for other games is there.

You simply need to ensure the games you want handled by NMM are correctly shown to be doing so, as I gave the example for.

I did that and it looks just like yours but it still doesn't work

post-8692-0-22813800-1453123490_thumb.png

A couple of things you can try. But before that which internet browser do you use?

Do not run nxmhandler.exe from the fallout4 version of MO.

Shut down both MO and NMM.

Run NMM as an administrator, select the fallout4 game and when it opens go to the settings tab and uncheck the option to associate NXM URLs. Click OK to close the dialog, but do not close NMM yet. Go back into settings and put a check back into the box and OK and close NMM.

This will associate the NXM links with NMM. You will be able to use the Download with manager button. Try it now to see if it works. Do not start MO or run the NXM handler at this time. This will tell us if there is something else going on with your system, Steam or NMM.

If all is good run your Skyrin version of MO. It will ask to associate with the NXM links. Select yes and close MO.

Run the nxmhandler.exe from the Sykrim version of MO that you are using. When it opens make sure the primary handler is for the skyrim version of MO. Ckick register active if it is not.

I am assuming that your entries will be the same as the picture, just make sure your fallout4 is pointing to NexusClient.exe. Close the nxmhandler.exe.

Depending on which browser you use, you may or may not get a dialog asking which application to launch. If you do select nxm.

The one I attached is from firefox.

post-1366-0-60946600-1453134946_thumb.png

Run NMM as an administrator, select the fallout4 game and when it opens go to the settings tab and uncheck the option to associate NXM URLs. Click OK to close the dialog, but do not close NMM yet. Go back into settings and put a check back into the box and OK and close NMM.

This will associate the NXM links with NMM. You will be able to use the Download with manager button. Try it now to see if it works. Do not start MO or run the NXM handler at this time. This will tell us if there is something else going on with your system, Steam or NMM.

What happened when you did this, did NMM open?

That should have worked. The only other thing I can think of is the actual file association in Windows was changed to Mod Organizer.

Go to Control Panel, Programs, Default Programs and click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". That should get you to the Set Associations function.

Scroll down to “.nxm†and see if Nexus mod Manager is the default handler. If it is associated with MO change it to Nexus Mod Manager.

This is the way it is set up on my system. When MO asks to associate the nxm protocol it does not change in the set file associations area.

I hope this works as I am out of ideas.

If you have multiple Mod Organizer installs, you might be modifying the wrong nxmhandler.

Going by the posted picture there is only two instances of MO, one for Skyrim and one for FO4. The OP was trying to use NMM for FO4 after trying MO. So that is why I posted the steps to use only Skyrim nxmhandler only.

If you have multiple Mod Organizer installs, you might be modifying the wrong nxmhandler.

Shouldn't make any difference. Making an edit with one will pass on the changes to all.

I have 5 entries in my nxmhandler.ini:

Oblivion

Fallout 3

Fallout NV

Skyrim

Witcher 3

Running NXMHandler from any installation and dragging the Oblivion entry down below the Fallouts and then running it from another installation shows the same result. Bizarrely I found I only have 1 nxmhandlers.ini on my system and all the other instances are reading that one INI!

It appears the nxmhandlers.ini is only created in the first installed copy of MO and any other instance of NXMHandler updates that INI.

That should have worked. The only other thing I can think of is the actual file association in Windows was changed to Mod Organizer.

Go to Control Panel, Programs, Default Programs and click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". That should get you to the Set Associations function.

Scroll down to “.nxm†and see if Nexus mod Manager is the default handler. If it is associated with MO change it to Nexus Mod Manager.

This is the way it is set up on my system. When MO asks to associate the nxm protocol it does not change in the set file associations area.

I hope this works as I am out of ideas.

Its as it should be but i did try something instead of uding FF I used Chrome and I can download to NMM but it still wont work with FF.  Any idea how I can fix that please.

Its as it should be but i did try something instead of uding FF I used Chrome and I can download to NMM but it still wont work with FF.  Any idea how I can fix that please.

Okay that places the issue with FF. You'll need to open FF's settings and look for the place where associations are set. Probably a tab labelled: 'Applications'.

Look for the protocol named: 'NXM' and either change it to NMM or remove it and then use FF and navigate to a Nexus page and try to initiate a download. You should then be presented with a dialogue to choose which application to handle those.

Okay that places the issue with FF. You'll need to open FF's settings and look for the place where associations are set. Probably a tab labelled: 'Applications'.

Look for the protocol named: 'NXM' and either change it to NMM or remove it and then use FF and navigate to a Nexus page and try to initiate a download. You should then be presented with a dialogue to choose which application to handle those.

Where should I look for FF settings?  Because I can't find anything that would be helpfull so I must be liiking in the wrong place but I can't seem to find anything anywhere else.