Skyrim hang when using MO to launch SKSE with ENB configured

steveley

Question

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping for some secret squirrel sauce help here.  Apologies if it has been covered elsewhere.  I searched but had no luck.

I'm running STEP 2.2.7 plus a few SR mods, all installed via Mod Organizer v1.0.5.

Video card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 680, 4GB VRAM running the 314.22 WHQL drivers

I can launch Skyrim with a slight delay and play just fine for hours with the below (all mods working, my current best options)

• Using MO to launch TESV (no SKSE mods)
  • Using MO to launch TESV with SMAA setup (no SKSE mods)
  • Using MO to launch SKSE to launch TESV
  • Using MO to launch SKSE to launch TESV with SMAA setup
  • Using MO to launch Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE to launch TESV
  • Using MO to launch Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE to launch TESV with SMAA setup
Which leads me to believe that using MO along with Skyrim Performance Monitor, SKSE and SMAA all seems to be fine.

For testing purposes only, I can launch Skyrim quickly with the below (though obviously no mods are active and textures are missing due to ddsopt work, etc.)

• Using SKSE to launch TESV
  • Using SKSE to launch TESV with SMAA setup
  • Using SKSE to launch TESV with ENB setup
  • Using SKSE to launch TESV with SMAA and ENB setup
  • Using Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE which launches TESV
  • Using Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE which launches TESV with SMAA setup
  • Using Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE which launches TESV with ENB setup
  • Using Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE which launches TESV with SMAA and ENB setup
I can therefore assume that Skryim Performance Monitor, SKSE, SMAA and ENB all seem to be fine.

However, when I add ENB to MO, I cannot launch Skyrim (it just hangs and PerfMon shows it useing ~100MB of RAM, with the CPU going to zero after about 10 seconds)

• Using MO to launch SKSE to launch TESV with ENB setup
  • Using MO to launch SKSE to launch TESV with SMAA and ENB setup
  • Using MO to launch Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE to launch TESV with ENB setup
  • Using MO to launch Skyrim Performance Monitor to launch SKSE to launch TESV with SMAA and ENB setup
Therefore I can only conclude that MO + ENB together seems to be breaking things.

NOTE: I can use Wrye Bash instead of MO and everything works fine, however I would prefer to use MO as the primary and leverage WB for Bashed Patch only.

Troubleshooting done thus far:

• I've confirmed that my MO setup has the appropriate "bFloatPointRenderTarget=1" setting
  • I've used NVIDIA Inspector to set the TESV Skyrim profile and settings per STEP guide
  • I've tried a variety of different ENB versions using Boris' default preset (though this doesn't seem like it would make a difference seeing that I can run fine using WB instead of MO)
  • I've tried putting all of the exe's into Run As Administrator mode

11 answers to this question

Partly true. The ones in MO´s profiles are taken from the original ones the first time around and every time you make a new profile. So if you made the edits before you installed MO then they will still apply.

Unless that changed over the last many versions... I have not done the process since january.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not installing ENB's through MO; I use ENB Manager for that. I launch SKSE through MO, but if an ENB is in the Skyrim folder, Skyrim hangs/crashes. Since the ENB works fine launching SKSE directly instead of through MO, I suspect something that MO is doing is causing the ENB to freak out.

As I said, I've have confirmed the MO profile .ini's have the floating point setting per Boris. Are the vanilla .ini's (in my documents) referenced at all after this point?

Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated.

If you manually place the .dll etc in your skyrim dir, there should be nothing whatsoever about the driver version you are using that conflicts.... I still use that since well it works for ENB flawlessly.

Try to remove that silly ENB manager, there have been people having issues with it for god knows what reason. Also like William says, remove any other weird background running stuff like FRAPS, Virtu MVP, boosters and what have you... all of those are pointless to use alongside ENB since they are not designed for it.

It also makes no sense why MO would in any way interfere since it does not touch any of the same resources. Try to go back to a previous version of MO to see if it is version dependent. I still use version 1.02 and there it works. I prefer to keep a few updates behind with MO...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I updated to 327.23 - no change

I manually put the ENB dll into the Skyrim folder - no change

I downgraded MO to 1.0.2 - no change

I disabled all mods - it works!

I went back to using the latest MO version - it works!

I began turning them back on one by oneFailed on OneTweak (replacement/combiner for DCF and BW)Read up on OneTweak and found that changing BWMode=1 to BWMode=2 in its .ini was a potential solutionI made the ini change - it works!

Now to re-enable all my mods slowly but surely.  Thanks for the suggestions :)

Partly true. The ones in MO´s profiles are taken from the original ones the first time around and every time you make a new profile. So if you made the edits before you installed MO then they will still apply.

Unless that changed over the last many versions... I have not done the process since january.

This is true if there is not a check in the Default Game Settings section.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I updated to 327.23 - no change

I manually put the ENB dll into the Skyrim folder - no change

I downgraded MO to 1.0.2 - no change

I disabled all mods - it works!

I went back to using the latest MO version - it works!

I began turning them back on one by oneFailed on OneTweak (replacement/combiner for DCF and BW)Read up on OneTweak and found that changing BWMode=1 to BWMode=2 in its .ini was a potential solutionI made the ini change - it works!

Now to re-enable all my mods slowly but surely.  Thanks for the suggestions :)

Holy crap. I want to buy you dinner and drinks for this.

Kept having Skyrim hang on startup with ENB's (never without), and wondered if maybe it wasn't something to do with the borderless windows because that's where the game would hang--with a black Skyrim pre-load screen with a bordered window.

Fixed with that change to the ini in OneTweak.