Moving Steam (STEP install)

I have a complete STEP/ revisited install of Skyrim, build up with MO, Wrye Bash, DDSopt, Tes5edit, nvidia inspector, ENB.

I want to move steam and my complete Step install to a new harddrive, what is the best way to go without messing everything up, or installing everything again?

I know how I can move Steam, but don't know what it will do with my install. After moving steam can I just copy my total games folder (where steam and all the supporting programs are in) to my new drive?

It is easy when you have MO... just copy your mods folder, and profiles etc.(You can take the entire MO folder if you wish) to the new harddrive and make sure that MO links to the correct .exe´s in the new location and voila. One of the powers of MO compared to NMM and too some extent WB.

As for steam then it is better to just reinstall the game at a new location. Do remember that you can create new steam lib´s in the steam options at new harddrives if you wish. This way you will not run into weird registry conflicts later on.

It is easy when you have MO... just copy your mods folder, and profiles etc.(You can take the entire MO folder if you wish) to the new harddrive and make sure that MO links to the correct .exe´s in the new location and voila. One of the powers of MO compared to NMM and too some extent WB.

As for steam then it is better to just reinstall the game at a new location. Do remember that you can create new steam lib´s in the steam options at new harddrives if you wish. This way you will not run into weird registry conflicts later on.

Sounds really good. But how about the reinstal of Steam, the configure skyrim and ini tweaks of STEP/ SR, I have to do again right?

And for the move of Steam, I found this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

• Exit the Steam client application.
  • Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
  • Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
  • Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
  • Launch Steam and log into your account.
Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example)

The ini files are stored in the profiles folder... that is the beauty of it!

You still have to start the game once without any mods to create registry entries etc. I forgot to mention that...

But the ini´s you do not need to touch, since you already made them and they are linked to the MO profile you use.

Also the official guides on how to do stuff is (almost) always better then a random dude on the internet! ;)

Thanks.

Can you explain this? As for steam then it is better to just reinstall the game at a new location. Do remember that you can create new steam lib´s in the steam options at new harddrives if you wish. This way you will not run into weird registry conflicts later on.

I not only have to reinstall the game, but also steam has to move to the new drive?

Edit: Thanks Aiyen, I'm learning a lot from you.

Aiyen might say something different but I'm pretty sure he means just do a fresh download and install of steam on your new hard drive rather than move it with the program you recommended. You should obviously backup any other games you want to keep and reinstall them through steam once you have installed steam on your new hard drive.

As for skyrim you should have a vanilla back up by which I mean just the default game files and dlc files without any mods backed up somewhere. If you do not have a backup then you will have to re download all of skyrim or uninstall all mods and verify steam cache through steam options.

There is a guide to reverting back to vanilla that can be read here.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Troubleshooting#Restore_Vanilla_Skyrim