using a quest to start a mod

so i have a mod that basically disables all of the civil war rubble and ruins. the issue is that, in order to do this, many of the objects have been flagged with "set enable state to opposite of parent". this means that if the mod gets activated before the civil war/battle, the rubble will be there prematurely (since its enable state is opposite).  I want to basically "wrap up" the entire mod (which is a simple collection of vanilla record edits - no new records) and put a Condition on it that prevents everything from being applied unless the battle quest is complete.

1. whats the best way to get this set up?

2. is there a way to do it without any (advanced) scripting?

3. any other thoughts?

My first thought is this:

- Create a new quest

- Add a script to the quest with an OnInit event. Have the script check for whether the battle quest is complete and enable/disable the parent as appropriate. This should make certain that the state is set appropriately regardless of when the mod is installed.

- If the battle quest doesn't automatically switch the state of the parent, then you'll need to decide how to trigger this switch. Simplest would probably be to add the scripted change directly to the quest stage, but that method would also create compatibility issues with any other mods that alter that quest script. Another method would be to use an update script to periodically check whether the quest has been completed, but that comes with it's own set of issues. You could also trigger the check using a player quest alias with an OnPlayerLoadGame(), OnLocationChange(), or some similar event.

My first thought is this:

- Create a new quest

- Add a script to the quest with an OnInit event. Have the script check for whether the battle quest is complete and enable/disable the parent as appropriate. This should make certain that the state is set appropriately regardless of when the mod is installed.

- If the battle quest doesn't automatically switch the state of the parent, then you'll need to decide how to trigger this switch. Simplest would probably be to add the scripted change directly to the quest stage, but that method would also create compatibility issues with any other mods that alter that quest script. Another method would be to use an update script to periodically check whether the quest has been completed, but that comes with it's own set of issues. You could also trigger the check using a player quest alias with an OnPlayerLoadGame(), OnLocationChange(), or some similar event.

hey thanks for the response. i appreciate the information. the only script ive written was for autosorting storage containers.. but have never used any other functions and im not very versed in papyrus syntax. however, I will do some research with the suggestions you gave me and i should be able to figure it out with the info thats out there. I do have a few weeks off from school so this can be a little project for me.