General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

As far as I remember Duel does not modify the same things that SkyRe Enemy AI does, only the perks cross over. But I may not remember correctly. The scripts does not conflict either. I would have to double check that when I get back home, but I'm pretty sure I've done this before.

I also don't see any reason not to use them together...

Found it. It says it is recommended not to use them together. So it's not a problem. Maybe I'm gonna use both. But I then probably have to drop a different combat esp ;)

a note on disabling DSI.. you can always just use the textures from DSI as a replacer. Then you get the best of both worlds. Still get better textures but no ESP. Granted you miss out on whatever the ESP gives you, but at least you dont have to look at the vanilla decal textures :)

at the beginning of the guide, it says to configure the creation kit. i thought this was used for creating mods? I dont see it used in the rest of the guide. what does this do?

Start the Creation Kit through the Steam context menu.

Once the Creation Kit is loaded, exit the program.

Navigate to (where CreationKit.exe is located) and open SkyrimEditor.ini.

At the bottom of the [General] section, add the line "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1".

Locate the line starting with "SArchiveList=" and after Update.bsa add ", Dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa".

Locate the line starting with "SResourceArchiveList2=" and after Update.bsa add ", Dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa".

Save and close the file.

is there any value in cleaning all mods after you install SR? or anything else?

if you dont ever plan on using creation kit, then i guess you dont have to use it or install it. however, if you do, the instructions are there for you.

there is always value in cleaning mods. if they are actually dirty. Neo has pointed out which mods need to be cleaned. For the most part, the rest of them should be clean already, but since the guide is outdated you may want to see if any of them are dirty. oops. you mean the main STEP guide. Yeah, the easiest way to see which mods need to be cleaned is to run boss and read the boss log, it will usually tell, you if any of your ESPs need cleaning.

a note on disabling DSI.. you can always just use the textures from DSI as a replacer. Then you get the best of both worlds. Still get better textures but no ESP. Granted you miss out on whatever the ESP gives you' date=' but at least you dont have to look at the vanilla decal textures :)[/quote']

Great tip.

Got new problems. I can't get out of Markarth. Via a quest (drunken man) is was fast travelled into Markarth. I did some quests there but now I can't get out of it. If I use fast travel it wil get stuck into an infinite loading screen. If I use the door to the reach the same, infinite loading screen.

So I started out before the drunken man quest I rode my horse to Markarth (got a few CTD's during the ride). I saved just in front of Markarth and saved in Markarth. Same problems. In Markarth fast travelling out or go back to the reach infinite loading screens. The save in the reach just in front Markarth I can't even load, infinite loading screens, and eventually it CTD.

My guess. Markarth is pushing my video to it's limits. I'm thinking to disable real vision enb? And otherwise to optimize some texture packs? Optimizing is done by ddsopt right?

edit. I did really had a smooth gameplay when I did the quests in Markarth (played for 2hours straight), no stutter or CTD. Only the infinite loadingscreens at the end when I tried to leave Markarth. And after that, the horseride to Markarth I had stutters and CTD's.

Yeah what Neo said is quite common. A lot of people have had issues getting stuck during fast travel and were able to resolve their troubles by using smaller LOD.

The unfortunate things is that if you use the tree LOD from any of the full versions of SFO, a 4k texture is really only a 2k texture due to how he has it set up (75% of the texture is blank). So dropping to a '2k' LOD texture will give you LOD trees the same resolution as if you were using an other 1k texture.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I would like to throw in my receent experience with combat freezes if anyone is interested.

I currently use SkyRe (without Races, AI, Combat, and Standing Stones modules), EBT, DSI (just the textures, no .esp), Duel Combat Realism, and ERSO Enhanced Enemy AI, and ASIS (no added spawns, just spell, perk, and potion distribution). I will add I do use different race and standing stone mods, but that is not important.

I really like this setup. I play on master difficulty, and it is fun if not brutal. However combat freezes do happen. Not every fight, or even every other fight, but enough to be quite annoying. The thing I tried was going into MCM menu for EBT and simply disabling the NPC scripts function. That seems to have worked for me. No combat freezes since. I will report back after more testing.

I do miss the cool effects of blood pooling etc from that, but I still get the enhanced textures, and not freezing is worth it to me.

The combat freeze issue have been known since EBT was released. It has been optimized since then of course, however it is just a sad fact that when you have too many script mods then this happens. Even more so in combat when several more scripts kick in. Disabling EBT and BSF effects more or less entirely eliminated combat freezes for me.. and I guess it should for just about all.

just to be clear, when you guys are saying "combat freezes", you mean an actual freeze? the game freezes on some frame and does not move again until you reset the game? interesting. ive never experienced this. what i get instead is lag. sometimes lag so bad that i get 1 new frame every one two or three seconds. but ive never fully freezed.

Slowdowns and freezes are normally due to the script engine spending too much time working on certain scripts, if it fails entirely in completing them then it will stop functioning.. however it could be that it is just bogged down. This of course assuming that the scripts are optimized and do not require silly amounts of computation time for what they are trying to do.

Immense slowdowns is just a hairs width away from a freeze! Could be because your RAM are so highly clocked that they might actually be able to keep up with the action.. It is speculation but guess that extra clock speed has to be good for something.

How many .esp/esm total files after installing Revisited? Will there be room for 50 more mods?

Id like to make request for SR author. Please add instructions how to merge some of used mods to free as much space as possible (by space I refer to 250 mods limit).