General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

I ddsopt everything according to step 2.2.6. I didn't notice anything. My vram stayed as high as it was, and the textures looked as good as before.

Now I killed ENB (I already used the performance version of real vision). My vram in Windhelm went around 10% down. I still have peeks until maximum vram usage, but I didn't have crashes. Further testing is still needed.

I just wanted to put out a message to Neovalen, with regards to the Legendary Edition, please make sure to add this script into the utility downloads.

Merge Plugins TES5Edit Script by matortheeternal

That we can merge all of the patches we make through your tutorial frees up a lot of esp slots.

while in some cases it may be acceptable/advisable/appropriate to merge plugins or patches, its not something necessarily has to be done just because the ability to do so exists. When i first taught myself how to merge plugins (manually), I thought it was the coolest thing. I was going to save so much space and remove excess and cluttered load order. The thing is, having separate ESPs helps keep things organized. What will inevitably begin to happen is you will lose track of exactly what changes and edits have been made and merged. It becomes a chore in itself to keep good notes and jog your memory trying to remember what exactly you did the day before last when at the time it seemed like a brilliant idea to merge something, and now you dont really know what's what. Open the merged ESP and you have no idea which records belong to which mod. This may not happen right away, but eventually it will (unless, like i said, youre very good at keeping notes or have a freakishly good memory)  The other thing is, when ESPs are separate, its very easy to deactivate only those changes that belong to that ESP. With merging, you have to either deactivate the whole thing, or sift through the record manually and delete the ones you dont want anymore (which can be very annoying and tedious)

moral of the story is: be very wise about what you merge. merge smartly. merge things that make sense to merge. ask yourself if merging two things is REALLY going to give you that much more benefit than if you simply left it separate. if youre using Mod Organizer, use the "notes" feature to take notes about the changes you make each time you edit it. The end :D

Hi, I am trying to get SRO working but when unzipping, every file I downloaded had between 1 - 2 files broken in some fashion. I am trying to isolate which files are causing the problem so that I can remove them or something similar. Here is the first example that I have come across. Many SRO files are overwritten using other newer texture packs but still one or two of the broken files still remain

Posted Image

Does anyone know what file this is?

Thanks,  :)

EDIT: Oh well the picture was fine in the post and working but now seems to have disappeared - don't really know how to prevent that happening.

Edit 2: and now it's back - yay.

If using a photo editor e.g. GIMP would it be true that any broken file would show up as purple as in the game?

Thanks for input - was hoping to find the specific file name for the texture used in that part of Helgen a big ask I suspect.

I found a file dirt02.dds which seemed to have no image in it compared to the vanilla version of this file which might be part of the problem, the normal map is fully present. I'll try and see if I can find this file in HD2K or Serious and replace it or remove it from SRO (probably the easiest option) but only if the resulting file works.

Not yet remotely sure how to use gimp to repair or improve the texture or to scale up from vanilla size. More complicated than just increasing the size.

Ha hum.

Edit: definitely not that file. There is no folder for helgen which would help to narrow it down, just some sort of generic flagstone texture - I'll keep looking.

It is very easy in gimp.

1. Get the DDS plugin.

2. Load in the respective texture

3. Go to "Image" -> "Resize" and pick the next resolution. Must always be a power of 2... so 2, 4, 8, 16, ... 4096 etc.

4. Go to "file" -> "export as" pick .dds as the name of the file and execute.

5. In the popup menu that comes make sure to pick "create mip maps" also change the compression to DXT5.

Thats it to manually resize and recompress a texture in gimp.

Ps. Do note that the entries in " " might not be entirely correctly named as I am putting this down from memory! But it should be close to this. :)

Thanks a bunch, that is a help. Nice to know I was on the right track with resizing just didn't know about steps 4 and 5.

I have since solved the problem in that I re downloaded SRO, then during extraction noted all of the broken files. Then discovered that these files show up as having 0 kb of data and that the new-extracted originals did have a size so extracted and replaced all the broken files individually which should eventually solve the problem. Aren't textures fun!!!

if something shows up purple, that usually means you are missing a texture. The mesh of whatever is purple is assigned a particular texture, if the game cannot find that texture it will usually present with a bright purple color (i believe from the normal map).

already answered lol nvm

Yeah I knew that textures were missing I was just looking for a short-cut to finding out which ones, yada yada. But above process worked fine and I now have SRO working properly in my new build. Now to overwrite most of Starac's files with Frozunwaldon and Cabal's textures - yay.

Thanks for help.

:)

frozunswaidon only has the one texture pack right? the one thats new, on the nexus?

I tried it out and some of the textures are really really well done IMO. I especially like the pineforest textures that have the pine-needles and pine cones on them. Some of the textures are really *blah* though.. like the pineforest texture with purple/blue/pink plants ... doesnt even look real. ive never seen pink plants (except flowers, but this is a plant with pink/purple/blue leaf parts). I made a post asking the author to remake that texture keeping the plants a "normal" color. Obviously he/she either did not read said post, or he/she does not care about my opinion lol. Anyways, the only other issue I have with the pack is that most (maybe all) of the color maps are oversaturated in my opinion. Not too big of a deal because I can easily fix that in photoshop.

I really do like the snow textures, most of them anyways... the author really did a nice job with the snow and some of the frozen marsh textures. All in all, i found about 8-10 of the textures looked very nice and also integrated well into the other landscape textures i use. the rest of the files are 'hidden' using MO.

I know it's not really fully there yet, author states that many of the textures are not ready yet and has created a sticky just so that people can pass on ideas critiques etc.. Of course Cabal will eventually get to all the others and then it will get really interesting.

It's good that textures are being worked on by current modders / texture artists so that largely the texture packs that are no longer maintained and or worked on, are not the only recourse. Good packs they may be but will never be perfect and can therefore always be improved upon I am really curious to see if amb book of silence becomes basically the bulk of all textures recommended in game.

In SR the following line is in the description for ENB. Also disable any driver-based anti-aliasing you may have set using Nvidia Inspector.

Does that mean I have to adjust my settings with Nvidia inspector? Instead of the guide for Nvidia user stated in the beginning of SR?

so in the last month skyrim revisited legenday has gone from first step at 50% to 65%. so it looks like maybe end of the year before this is ready? just curious. i know you are giving this away.

is anyone helping neovalen with this?