General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

this is true. if that were the case then removing any one of them should, in theory, also fix the problem. i dont know about skyre and duel, since ive never used them myself, but ive used all the others together without a hiccup. But everyone's setup is different. Really my only original point was to prevent the user from thinking there was something inherently wrong with DSI because their problems went away after removing it. :)

agreed. i have used EBT in some form since the day i first played skyrim. BFS I only used for ~2 months just recently and only did so because it was in Neo's guide. I stopped using it because it didnt match my personal tastes. For a while I was using only the high-res textures from EBT just as replacers to vanilla, but eventually i started using the esp again. Ive never had any major troubles with it. Although come to think of it, the one time i find myself with very serious lag is battle of whiterun.. i could def see how that would be caused by EBT (and BFS and DSI if theyre installed). But for normal combat scenes with only a handful of actors ive not experienced anything significantly negative.

Interesting indeed. Do you use any sort of non-vanilla blood textures? It purely vanilla?

Vanilla only.

EBT is a bit exaggerated anyway IMHO. It's ok if you fight 1 or 2 people, but with +3 people there is way too much blood everywhere, just not realistic to me. Even if it is realistic (I am not an expert when it come to real life sword combat ;) ), it is too much blood for my liking anyway. On the other hand though, vanilla combat definitely doesn't produce enough blood. Both options are too extreme IMO.

EBT would be realistic if you'ld include woundings in the combat animation. I've seen several accident sites. Even a single person can produce a LOT of blood. In general combat should be animated more realistically and gameplay would have to change a lot if i were to say it was semi-realistic. Duke patricks heavy combat mod is a step in the right direction, however the whole engine would need to be overhauled for more combat realism.

@jorg

Endless loading screen ctd/ random ctd and ctd due to DSI can be a sign that you're reaching the 3.1 memory limit.

Do you have mostly all 2k textures and are they optimized?

Any 4k textures?

I have a 2GB video card. I use 1K textures' date=' and optimized those for the 3 big packs, the rest is also 1K and if couldn't find something else 2K or 4K. I monitored the memory use but it is mostly around 1.7G. It sometimes peakes to 1.9/2.0, so some freezes could be blamed on that. But it also have freezes when the use is around 1.7G...

CTD's only happens when I'm in my inventory or when I'm crafting or upgrading weapons. I think I've got weapon mods that are in conflict with each other? I think it's got something to do with immersive weapons.

well if removing DSI solved your problems' date=' then clearly there was some major conflict issue between it and some other mod in your load order.. could probably be solved with a compatibility patch but youd have to find out what mod its conflicting with. I can tell you right now there's nothing wrong with the DSI mod itself. It's made by a good author and ive also personally used for the past 6 months without a single issue.[/quote']

It could possibly be too many combat scripts kicking in at once. EBT, BSF, SkyRe, Duel, DSI - all those ran together may easily kill the game :)

I don't really miss DSI. I think I also still have BFS disabled.

Maybe I can drop duel. And use the combat module from Skyre..

Just found out that I also have to fix something In my favorites menu. I only have a small list instead of the categorized favorites menu.

@jorg

Endless loading screen ctd/ random ctd and ctd due to DSI can be a sign that you're reaching the 3.1 memory limit.

Any 4k textures?

I have a 2GB video card. I use 1K textures' date=' and optimized those for the 3 big packs, the rest is also 1K and if couldn't find something else 2K or 4K. I monitored the memory use but it is mostly around 1.7G. It sometimes peakes to 1.9/2.0, so some freezes could be blamed on that. But it also have freezes when the use is around 1.7G...

CTD's only happens when I'm in my inventory or when I'm crafting or upgrading weapons. I think I've got weapon mods that are in conflict with each other? I think it's got something to do with immersive weapons.

well if removing DSI solved your problems' date=' then clearly there was some major conflict issue between it and some other mod in your load order.. could probably be solved with a compatibility patch but youd have to find out what mod its conflicting with. I can tell you right now there's nothing wrong with the DSI mod itself. It's made by a good author and ive also personally used for the past 6 months without a single issue.[/quote']

It could possibly be too many combat scripts kicking in at once. EBT, BSF, SkyRe, Duel, DSI - all those ran together may easily kill the game :)

Just found out that I also have to fix something In my favorites menu. I only have a small list instead of the categorized favorites menu.

I've read that too many items on your crafting list may cause CTDs - but I've never experienced this myself. I use SkyRe + Duel + DSI with no problems, but I dropped EBT and BSF.

@jorg

Any 4k textures?

I've read that too many items on your crafting list may cause CTDs - but I've never experienced this myself. I use SkyRe + Duel + DSI with no problems, but I dropped EBT and BSF.

I still have to find a good mix of combat mods. I now dropped DSI instead of BFS because that stopped the freezes. What I said, DSI is not really a big loss. I like EBT though.

I have a lot of armor and weapon mods, maybe I should drop some.

I see that you use duel combat in combination with skyre. SkyRe also has a combat module. Can I ask why you use both?

hmm. I saw in the guide for Asis with SkyRe that Duel and SkyRe shouldn't be combined.

I now use duel. And most opponents are easy, except a few they are really hard, and groups are difficult. So I'm not sure yet if I like duel, the big load is too easy. So I was thinking about SkyRe to get a little more challenge from the usual opponents.

As far as I remember Duel does not modify the same things that SkyRe Enemy AI does, only the perks cross over. But I may not remember correctly. The scripts does not conflict either. I would have to double check that when I get back home, but I'm pretty sure I've done this before.

I also don't see any reason not to use them together...