General Support Thread

Solist

Question

Figured it might not be a bad idea to just start a general SR support thread for help since the feedback thread is focused on actual SR feedback. I'll start this off.

So was playing earlier today, then went and made today's latest changes:

- Updated Lanterns of Skyrim to use Realistic Lighting Overhaul optional preset.

- Added SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators. Removed More Village Animals and Roosters At Dawn

- Updated Apahii Skyhair Natural Retexture.

I also added Grass on Steroids and it's associated INI changes.

I now CTD every time on the menu load. I reversed the INI changes, unloaded SkyTest and Grass on Steroids and still CTD.

What would be the first steps I should in debugging this?

Thanks!

So after a full install of SR and following the SkyRe+SR guide I am wondering if I should have just waited for the SR Legendary Edition or of it's better to just update my current SR with the new one when it gets released. Also thinking about going with Skyrim Unleashed instead of SkyRe.

So after a full install of SR and following the SkyRe+SR guide I am wondering if I should have just waited for the SR Legendary Edition or of it's better to just update my current SR with the new one when it gets released. Also thinking about going with Skyrim Unleashed instead of SkyRe.

So far SR in full on it's own works really well it's when you add other mods that things begin to become unravelled at least for me. Neo has hinted at things he might be including in his guide prior to working on SR - LE. So I as well I'm sure, many others are waiting to see what will be in it, e.g more NPCs such as immersive patrols, inconsequential NPCs, followers, perks, possible overhauls. We will know when we know as I suspect what we will see is a more or less completed version - hence the large amounts of silence from Neo - less distractions etc...

So to return to the point, there are quite a few ways to go with respect to overhauls, SU is good, YASH and Requiem are better IMO, the latter is going through some important changes - best to wait for those. ERSO (great mod but way too many .esp files for a full install), ACE etc. All have their merits and require different amounts of tweaking to get working and of course there are a number of separate mods that can achieve the same sorts of results (really like SPERG). The tweaking is the tricky part for any of us for whom mastering the necessary modding skills needed to work out how to get things co-operating well is an on-going headache - but I have high hopes that within this community a fully stable, challenging and immersively amazing skyrim will be achieved. SR will likely need to be fully re-installed when it come out again and of course it is also likely to be linked to major changes to STEP that are in the pipeline.

I would try Skyrim Unleashed and report any feedback on here, it will certainly need less tweaking than SkyRe and will require disabling Realistic Needs at least. Details on the mod page. Any testing that you do is invaluable and goes towards making the perfect skyrim, a highly subjective but worthy cause and probably why so many of the top mod authors are getting actively involved in STEP. 

Until then SR and STEP and by extensions any versions thereof are going to remain a WIP, and require huge amounts of patience which as I recall was the first thing I read on the original STEP pdf. from the Compiler so many moons ago.

:)

Can someone please explain to me whats happening? So I was playing SR + SkyRe normally and it was working quite fine, a few freezes here and there but it was playable. But then I got to windhelm and I had to walk between candelhearth and palace of kings a few times and then my threshold for amount of freezes was reached. So i tried to fix it. I read that SMIM was a major cause so i tried to remove it. This meant i removed the main mod, wearable laterns smim patch, tobes highres smim patch and lastly the AM-SMIM patch. The last one was a problem, because i had merged all my patches in to one (so not to exceed 255 esp limit) so what i did was remove the the one entry from am-smim patch (a container entry) and removed the dependency of smim-dragonborn esp from my combined patches esp. And then when i loaded up skyrim the problem struck.

Now to the problem. When i start the game now, skyrim get stuck at the loading screen. To be exact, right after skse info (version number and so on) is shown in the upper left screen and right before the logo starts rotating and menu interface pops up. And while this is happening my cpu is working at 50% (the skyrim process) and skyrim is not "not responding" (which it usually is when i load skyrim or a save or entering big interiors)

edit: I have fixed the problem. I started over by re-merging all my patches from the beginning (and of course this time i excluded am-smim patch) and now I can load skyrim without SMIM. Still no idea what the problem was all about thought. Lets see if my games becomes more stable now...

Now to the problem. When i start the game now' date=' skyrim get stuck at the loading screen. To be exact, right after skse info (version number and so on) is shown in the upper left screen and right before the logo starts rotating and menu interface pops up. And while this is happening my cpu is working at 50% (the skyrim process) and skyrim is [b']not[/b] "not responding" (which it usually is when i load skyrim or a save or entering big interiors)

edit: I have fixed the problem. I started over by re-merging all my patches from the beginning (and of course this time i excluded am-smim patch) and now I can load skyrim without SMIM. Still no idea what the problem was all about thought. Lets see if my games becomes more stable now...

This is similar to the CTD before the menu starts spinning and my understanding is that the cause is that you are missing a master for one of your ESPs.  Sounds like it was your merged patch as it worked when you rebuilt it.

When you get this sort of error load up Wrye Bash and look for Red mods - that's the symbol that's it's the mod missing a master.  Of to the right it should tell you which master it's missing.

I just completed the installation of Skyrim Revisited and followed every step, yet I get an immediate CTD on startup (Skyrim is pretty slow to load even though it's on an SSD and after a few seconds, before the menu options appear it CTDs) even though there are no missing masters according to WB and TESVEDIT loads without any problems. I tried disabling all mods and enabling them one by one, but since a lot of mods have patches that involve other mods, that process is VERY tedious to say the least. The game worked until I enabled Even Better Quest Objectives (both with just the main esp and with all the esps and the mods related to those esps). Could anybody help me out?

99% due to a missing master for one of the mods. Open Wrye Bash via MO and check for dark red flagged mods (the little tick box will be dark red). Select it and in the right hand pane check for missing masters - you will find your culprit.

Open BetterQuestObjectives.esp in TES5Edit and right click it, Check for Errors.

I've had odd ctds trying to load the game before (the kind that suggests a missing master) and it turned out Better quest objectives was corrupting on me. Or more specifically one of the VMAD records was. Unfortunately my TES5Edit logs have already been purged from that time but if you post the result here starting at "Checking for Errors", I'll recognize it.