instructions are unclear at "08-Character Appearance - WSCO - Occidental Vanilla Body"

MorgulRat

greetings. I'm going through the STEP guide for Skyrim LE very carefully as I really don't want a result like the game doesn't start or acting up in any way, and time is wasted for god knows what.

but I'm doing this only from time to time, and today is like 4th day of installing mods. now I'm at category 08-Character Appearance and instructions for WSCO - Occidental Vanilla Body really got me.

"Install the WSCO Occidental Vanilla Body v1 Main File:

<...>

xEdit Cleaning Required
1 ITMs

After cleaning this mod, open it in xEdit: <...>"

what the hell are ITMs stand for? I honestly have read through all the previous guides, but I don't remember this. I could've forgot since it's already a few days of me preparing this game. there is no plugin such as this, even if it's an acronym.

so could you please elaborate? should I run the xEdit or xEditQuickAutoClean? what exactly should I clean? I guess I have to stop now and wait for an answer.

all in all the guide lacks explanation. honestly it wasn't hard to follow to that point, but there were several moments where I wasn't sure whether or not I should merge an Optional file for a texture mod. even if a step is obvious, there should be an unumbiguous description, like "install the Main, then merge the Optional". I regret now that I didn't keep my own log of process, that could be helpful for other newbies.

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by MorgulRat

3 hours ago, MorgulRat said:

greetings. I'm going through the STEP guide for Skyrim LE very carefully as I really don't want a result like the game doesn't start or acting up in any way, and time is wasted for god knows what.

but I'm doing this only from time to time, and today is like 4th day of installing mods. now I'm at category 08-Character Appearance and instructions for WSCO - Occidental Vanilla Body really got me.

"Install the WSCO Occidental Vanilla Body v1 Main File:

<...>

xEdit Cleaning Required
1 ITMs

After cleaning this mod, open it in xEdit: <...>"

what the hell are ITMs stand for? I honestly have read through all the previous guides, but I don't remember this. I could've forgot since it's already a few days of me preparing this game. there is no plugin such as this, even if it's an acronym.

so could you please elaborate? should I run the xEdit or xEditQuickAutoClean? what exactly should I clean? I guess I have to stop now and wait for an answer.

all in all the guide lacks explanation. honestly it wasn't hard to follow to that point, but there were several moments where I wasn't sure whether or not I should merge an Optional file for a texture mod. even if a step is obvious, there should be an unumbiguous description, like "install the Main, then merge the Optional". I regret now that I didn't keep my own log of process, that could be helpful for other newbies.

Screenshot_2.png

Hello. You have a point, no worries somebody here will surely help you. Look I found this explanation for you in this website: https://tes5edit.github.io/docs/7-mod-cleaning-and-error-checking.html

Identical to Master (ITM) edits are the most common type of dirty edit. They're where a mod has overwritten something in the game without making an actual change. If another mod higher up in the load order makes an intentional change to that thing, it will have its effect cancelled out by the ITM record, which can cause problems. ITM edits can be cleaned automatically using xEdit.

Just open xEditQuickAutoClean, find the plugin you want to clean and just double click it to clean.

And for the record the Anniversary edition is much more noob-friendly guide IMO. I started doing Step Guide when it was only Legendary edition 2.x.x and I remember it was not as good as current guide.

Edited by TadasTalalas