Clarification on not extracting BSA's

neteng1958

Referring to Skyrim SE 2.2.0 release dated Jan 16, 2023, I could use some clarification please.

In Step 4 under MOD installation clarifications, the first bullet point states: 

• Do not extract BSAs unless specifically instructed to do so.

I have interpreted this to mean in MO2 I should manually install downloaded mods and untick any BSA's included in the mod before installation.

For example: The unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch-266-4-2-9a-1685216241 has 2 included BSA's - USSEP. bsa and USSEP - Textures.bsa. 

I am thinking that I should do a manual install of this mod and untick both the BSA's before installing. Is this correct or should I just install the entire mod as is. 

Thank You

58 minutes ago, neteng1958 said:

Is this correct or should I just install the entire mod as is.

Just install the entire mod as is.

A BSA file is itself an archive of multiple files, similar to a ZIP or 7Z file, but in a proprietary format used by Bethesda for their games. Mod Organizer 2 and other tools can open BSA archives.

"Do not extract BSAs" means to not take out the files contained within the BSA archive. Keep the BSA files as they are, i.e. as self-contained "blobs".

Hope this clarifies?