[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I somebody maintaining an exclusion list that includes the textures mentioned in the DDSopt guide and here on the forum? I've had troubles getting the optimised textures to work properly in the last couple of days.

I put them on my guide as they are found and remove once INI is updated by ETH. Obvious a day or so delay of course since I work.

Using the preview viewer in DDSopt' date=' the alpha channel looks the same in the vanilla and optimized texture but the primary channel doesn't. The DDSopt logs for that texture has a note that says "Automatic greyscale conversion.".[/quote']

Yep, I see that. It looks like the alpha channel was converted to a two-tone mask and applied to the empty primary channel?

The correct INI entry to fix this issue is:

[AlphaCustom]
; Black smoke ??
effects\gradients\gradsmokediss.dds
Confirmed that this fixes the issue. Texture remains modified, but primary chanel remains identical. Adding this entry inder [AlphaOpacity] had no effect.

I looked at the primary and alpha channel views in DDSopt for the set of 11 textures: textures/effects/gradients/gradsteamthin*.dds and textures/effects/gradients/gradsteamthick*.dds .

It looks like they all have the same problem as with gradsmokediss.dds. The alpha channels look the same before and after DDSopt processing but the primary channel is corrupted. I assume this set of 11 textures should be added to the same INI change, but we'll need to check and see if this works properly of course.

The initial version of the updated Mod Optimization portion of the DDSopt guide is now available. The purpose is to allow users to decide which STEP mods to process with DDSopt. This version has, for each STEP mod that contains textures:

- indicators on whether DDSopt provided noticeable improvements in the textures

- the maximum resolution of the textures in the mod.

More details are in the introductory portion.

The initial version of the updated Mod Optimization portion of the DDSopt guide is now available. The purpose is to allow users to decide which STEP mods to process with DDSopt. This version has, for each STEP mod that contains textures:

- indicators on whether DDSopt provided noticeable improvements in the textures

- the maximum resolution of the textures in the mod.

More details are in the introductory portion.

This information could be and would be best placed on the DDSopt Guide as a tab. Of course, disregard if you're planning on doing that after getting it more updated.

I looked at the primary and alpha channel views in DDSopt for the set of 11 textures: textures/effects/gradients/gradsteamthin*.dds and textures/effects/gradients/gradsteamthick*.dds .

It looks like they all have the same problem as with gradsmokediss.dds. The alpha channels look the same before and after DDSopt processing but the primary channel is corrupted. I assume this set of 11 textures should be added to the same INI change, but we'll need to check and see if this works properly of course.

Yep ... I assume that these could be dissipation maps, as they are named this way. Did you check all of the color textures of just those named *diss.dds ?

Actually, what we can do is add a wiki page for the DDSopt.ini wrapped in

elements and use that as a log for all of the INI additions that are needed based on our findings. This should be another sub-page of the DDSopt Guide [ wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt & Texture Overhauls/INI ]