Can't get Dyndolod to run anymore.

AlteriusZhang

Question

I'm having problems getting Dyndolod to run, either through Mod Organizer, or directly from the executable.

I keep getting the following errors:

• [00:00:00.047]    DynDOLOD based on xEdit x64 (2EE40120) starting session 2023-06-26 22:09:47
  • [00:00:00.052]    Game Mode: TES5
  • [00:00:00.055]    Game Name: Skyrim
  • [00:00:00.057]    Using Skyrim Data Path: 
  • [00:00:00.060]    Using Scripts Path: A:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\
  • [00:00:00.063]    Using Cache Path: 
  • [00:00:00.065]    Using Temp Path: C:\Users\17082\AppData\Local\Temp\TES5Edit\
  • [00:00:00.068]    Using ini: 
  • [00:00:00.072]    Fatal: Could not find ini 

I know I have to use the argument parameters for the executable, and I have it set in Mod organizer as the following:

image.thumb.png.31fc22bb943070056c372f2618a57da2.png

I'm assuming this is where I put it. But I still get the same error. I added the line to change the INI files. I'm not sure what INI files it's referring to, but I'm assuming its the SkyrimPrefs and Skyim inis.

I have the correct resource, DLL, and scripts for my version of Skyrim installed in MO2:

image.thumb.png.2e03897141afdd39c192c5bb86fdad25.png

As you can see, I was able to run Dyndolod before, but that was 2 years ago, and I recently added some mods that need new LODs.

Anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I followed the STEP guide, and watched several videos to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thanks in advance.

Edited by AlteriusZhang

10 answers to this question

9 hours ago, AlteriusZhang said:

I followed the STEP guide

If you had followed the guide as you said, you shouldn't need to mess with the DynDOLOD command line options:

Do not link to files or folders in mod manager profiles.

Your -m option is linking to your MO2 profile. The only command line option necessary with the STEP guide is -sse.

10 hours ago, AlteriusZhang said:
  • [00:00:00.047]    DynDOLOD based on xEdit x64 (2EE40120) starting session 2023-06-26 22:09:47
  • [00:00:00.052]    Game Mode: TES5
  • [00:00:00.055]    Game Name: Skyrim

Skyrim SE is not even detected, DynDOLOD is falling back to Skyrim (OldRim). It looks like the Windows registry is not even properly initialized.

Launch Skyrim SE from Steam, at least once, as recommended by Z above.

The only reason I messed with the command line is because the original steps weren't working, and I had to troubleshoot errors from the various posts on this forum.

I've already tried launching the game from steam already, multiple times, but in offline mode (not sure it matters), at least to the point of getting the launcher running. I was unable to run the game because it would just go back to desktop. Probably because the Skyrim.EXE was modified because steam updated my game, and I had to use that downgrade tool to downgrade it back to 1.5.97. 

Edited by AlteriusZhang

Also, I already have ini files in the Documents/My games/Skyrim Special Edition folder. As I've mentioned. I was able to run DynDoLod before. It just stopped working recently. My Skyrim steam install hasn't been touched in years until the game just updated itself a few days ago, and I had to downgrade it.

EDIT: I've managed to use the Steam console to get my hands on the 1.5.97 exe and ran it once. Got to the man menu and exited. I tried running DyndoLod again and I still get the same error.

Edited by AlteriusZhang

11 hours ago, AlteriusZhang said:

I'm not sure what INI files it's referring to

It's referring to Skyrim.ini.

20 minutes ago, AlteriusZhang said:

As I've mentioned. I was able to run DynDoLod before. It just stopped working recently.

That is not useful information, to us. We have no insight into what changed on your side, as a result of your (unknown) actions or other (unknown) factors. We need factual data points about your actual installation and configuration.

Does xEdit launched from MO2 work? Provide a screenshot or transcript of the top of xEdit's Messages window, like this:

SSEEdit 4.0.4 (103758D4) starting session 2023-06-27 16:52:10
Using Skyrim Special Edition Data Path: ...
Using Backup Path: ...
Using Scripts Path: ...
Using Cache Path: ...
Using ini: ...
Using save path: ...
Using Creation Club Content list: ...
Using plugin list: ...
Using settings file: ...
Using language: ...
Using general string encoding: ...
Using translatable string encoding: ...
Using VMAD string encoding: ...
Loading active plugin list: ...

I used ellipses (...) above, but your post should show the actual paths used on your end.

Yeah, right. As soon as we ask for details the problem is magically fixed.

Would you care to tell more about this mysterious plugin, its "invalid registry something", and how you fixed it? For the benefit of others who may be using the same plugin and may encounter the same issue...

Why the **** would I make something up like this? My bugged plugin was Wearable Horns SE. I didn't download the plugin fix and it was crashing Dyndolod/TexGen on load.

This was the error I got: <Error: RecipeBookHorns [COBJ:FE0002D3] has invalid ObjectID 0012D3 for a light module. You will not be able to save this file with ESL flag active.>

If you don't believe me, install it and find out for yourself.

1 hour ago, AlteriusZhang said:

Why the **** would I make something up like this? My bugged plugin was Wearable Horns SE. I didn't download the plugin fix and it was crashing Dyndolod/TexGen on load.

This was the error I got: <Error: RecipeBookHorns [COBJ:FE0002D3] has invalid ObjectID 0012D3 for a light module. You will not be able to save this file with ESL flag active.>

If you don't believe me, install it and find out for yourself.

What issued that error?

If DynDOLOD issued that error, then your original problem wasn't related to the plugin. It was related to DynDOLOD not being able to find the game INI.

When you ran the Steam launcher, that got fixed, and your CTD resulted from the plugin issue. So it sounds like two separate but concurrent issues, neither related to DynDOLOD.

2 hours ago, AlteriusZhang said:

Why the **** would I make something up like this?

Because your story didn't make any sense. An .esp plugin can't cause the issue you described initially.

2 hours ago, AlteriusZhang said:

In order to get this far, DynDOLOD had to start up and find and load the plugins. Which it failed to do initially. Now it's a completely different error with a completely different cause than what you were reporting originally.

You conflated everything together.