"Img:" Texture Missing

Galahad

Question

Not sure if STEp related. Probably not, cause i have not read about this issue before. But lets see:

In some Books, instead of the first letter (that is apparently an Image file or texture) i just see a colorful written "img:" placeholder. Didnt bother me so far, but it also accures on treasure maps instead of the map. anyone has similiar problems? what files are missing here?

thanks.

this can be regarded as solved then. what happened (and i have no idea why), is that all the .png files in the original interface\book folder have been transformed into dds files. i just copy pasted the originals in there and deleted the dds files, and it works now. thank you techangel85!

Step 4 of "Optimizing the Textures" in the DDSopt_and Texture Overhaul guide covers handling the .png files in the various BSAs. Step 6 is doing the actual processing of textures.

It's a good idea the first time using DDSopt to read the Texture Optimization Quickstart tab since it has a roadmap to all of the actual steps you need to follow for initial use of DDSopt. 

this can be regarded as solved then. what happened (and i have no idea why) is that all the .png files in the original interface\book folder have been transformed into dds files. i just copy pasted the originals in there and deleted the dds files, and it works now. thank you techangel85!

The guide mentions that file filtering is the best practice for selectively processing textures in multiple passes. Any result can be achieved this way without having to manually copy anything. Some details about using this feature are described under Extracting Textures.

Hey all,

I have this same problem. Missing graphic for the first letter and the "img:" placeholder.

In the Textures>Interface>Books folder I only have .DDS files.

I've been looking in my original vanilla BSAs folder and in my original Skyrim install backup archive, but haven't seen any PNG files in any Textures>Interface>Books folder.

I re-read the DDSopt instructions at the links provided and am still unsure how to proceed.

Where might I find these original .PNG files that I need to paste into the Books folder?

Or would it be as simple as changing the file type of all files int eh Books folder from .DDS to .PNG, assuming that is even possible?

Thanks.

If they are .DDS files in your Skyrim Installation then you ran the .PNG files through DDSopt and shouldn't have.

The files are located in "Textures\Interface\Books" of your "Skyrim - Textures.bsa" file. Simply copy these .PNG files into your "Data\Textures\Interface\Books" folder in your Skyrim installation. You can do this by extracting them using BSAopt or DDSopt.

Thanks for the info. WIll do. Are there other such PNG files that I also shouldn't have done this with, whcih I might want to similarly repair? I haven't noticed any other missing textures so far, but just in case...

Also, should I use the original vanilla unoptimized Skyrim Textures.BSA file as the source of extraction using DDSopt?

PS- I might be remember incorrectly, but a week or two ago I don't think Step 4 in Optimize the Textures was present:

"IMPORTANT Texture filters - textures\interface\books\ of the STD vanilla textures as well as some of the 3 DLC BSAs (but not the 3 HRDLC) contain many PNG files that do not need to be processed. There is an additional substep to take care of this. Use the filter in the center of the Browser Tab to type in a "*.png" wildcard, then click the [Apply] button, unselect the files if there are any, remove the "*.png" wildcard filter, and click [Apply] again. This will ensure that the PNG files will not be processed into DDS file type. "

That would explain why me and the OP encountered this issue.

I notice the following: " as well as some of the 3 DLC BSAs (but not the 3 HRDLC) contain many PNG files that do not need to be processed. "

So, given that I turned the 3 DLC BSA PNG files into DDS files, will I also need to follow these steps for both Dawnguard and Dragonborn Textures\Interfaces\Books? I am guessing yes.

Thanks for the info. WIll do. Are there other such PNG files that I also shouldn't have done this with, whcih I might want to similarly repair? I haven't noticed any other missing textures so far, but just in case...

Also, should I use the original vanilla unoptimized Skyrim Textures.BSA file as the source of extraction using DDSopt?

There are also the color files that shouldn't have been DDSopted (located in the root "Textures" folder...should be 11 files there that shouldn't have been DDSopted).

Yes, you should use the unoptimized Skyrim - Textures.bsa file as the source.

I see the ones you are referring to- black through white_em

But here's the thing- at the root Textures folder level, when I type .png into the center of the Browser tab in DDSopt, the only png files that are selected are those in interface\books...not the 11 at the root Textures level. In fact, those 11 files don't even appear in the file tree in the Browser tab in DDSopt.

Not sure how to proceed. They indeed were turned into DDS files, even when I follwed the new step 4 above to apply the PNG wildcard filter.

Maybe those 11 tiles aren't PNG files--in which case, what kind of file are they, so I know what to type in the center browser?

And am I correct in thinking I'm going to also need to do these to Textures>Interface>Books folders for both Dragonborn and Dawngaurd DLCs?

Thanks again.

Forgive me. Those 11 files are not .PNG files. They are .DDS files, but they are still not suppose to be optimized or you'll end up with black or purple textures in place of them. Just extract them and the .PNG files to replace the files in your Data\Textures folder.

Yes, you are correct in thinking that if there are in fact .PNG files in those DLCs. I haven't optimized them myself. In fact, there was so many errors with the DDSopt release at the time of my last Skyrim/STEP installation that I haven't ran DDSopt on any of my current files. lol

OK, so to spell it out such that there's no error on my part--

Those 11 DDS files (black - white_em)----now that I have just run DDSopt and assumedly DID optimize them again, how do I proceed?

Do I need to run DDSopt another time, and somehow exclude these 11 DDS files from the optimization process? Because I assume that I've just optimized them on this run through I just did.

I had to go look it up in the guide changes...

IF you used the included INI from the guide ( https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls/DDSoptINI ), then don't worry about those files. They're included in the INI to be skipped during optimization.

IF you didn't use the included INI, grab it now and rerun DDSopt because there are a LOT of fixes and files added to the INI that will be skipped during optimization. Don't forget step 4 to exclude the .PNG files on the new run. :)