Show Race Menu Precache Killer

Neovalen

Looks nice, but I'd like to see what it's doing under the hood. Sure, I could try decompiling it, but that's not the best way to go about it. Also, wondering if this would still work under Skyrim 1.9, or if it needs to be updated (like ShadeMe's skse plugins)

But yea, guess this means you can add back ApachiHair into your guide, Neovalen.

• 5 weeks later...

My understanding is that in the vanilla game when you open the race menu the engine caches all the body part options in one swoop, and there must be a bug in the engine that causes a CTD if you have too many things getting cached at once. This simply removes the cache step and you load body part assets as you make the changes on the character sliders. I notice a microscopic delay when changing hair, etc, which could impact lower end systems more dramatically.

I would imagine it gets rolled into the main file on a future release, there is no real reason to not install it, prevents crashes and works perfectly.

Yes. I'm not aware of any difference between the two of them. In one sense it's a shame that Kapaer, who figured out how to do this will, see his mod ignored as everyone (myself included) adopts the Race Menu optional for its slightly greater convenience.

Interesting point that its not really needed if you don't use hair mods, etc.  However it is very useful, if not quite required, if you do start using these.  Given that many if not most people do add such mods, or at least experiment with them, it would be a good idea to at least point out that it should be installed if you add these mods or start experiencing CTDs when using the Race Menu.