"Your user account probably lacks permission"

Berzerkernox

I have a modlist from Wabbajack on my computer. I downloaded a brand new MO2 on my computer as the MO2 in my modlist, through Wabbajack has MO2 contained in its own folder. I was working on the Step list but some of the .dll's needed to get updated so I have been playing the Wabba modlist. When I opened it up after starting the Step build, MO2 asked me to change my file path back to the modlist, which I found worrying. I just tried to open the Step MO2 and got this: 

Does anyone have any feedback for me? Did I set things up incorrectly? I checked the game path and it is correct per the Step instructions. Thanks.

image.png

image.png

I can't speak to how Wabbajack manages MO. It's probably a portable install and shouldn't be needed at all, but they probably include it for people that want to avoid any config stuff (then they wind up doing so anyway and breaking things).

This error indicates that one or both of the MO instances are inside a UAC path or some other location ... or the Wabbajack instance is running as a lower-privilege user.

See the MO install/setup instructions in the guide for reference. The Wabbajack stuff is likely causing the issues, but it should be simple to resolve by removing (or archiving) the Wabbajack folder and ensuring the MO instanced install used for Step is set up according to our instructions.

8 minutes ago, Berzerkernox said:

Neither is set up under UAC, they are both at the root of the same drive. I did set MO2 up according to the guide but the guide does not match the MO2 setup - maybe because of an MO2 update and the guide has not updated accordingly.

MO2 installs exactly as the System Setup Guide indicates if you follow those instructions. The MO guide has some pieces that are outdated, but it's mostly the same.

If you installed as portable, it will not "match" the guide (in which case you didn't follow our instructions exactly). Regardless, it's a permissions issue probably due to multiple versions of MO installed. Hide the Wabbajack stuff, ensure MO is installed according to the Step guide, and maybe reboot.