problem transferring saves to profiles

mm_half

Question

Hello,

Yesterday I created a new profile, let's call it "new profile" in my SkyrimVR MO2 instance by copying the default profile (  the profile  currently used for game play) with the intent of making some modifications to the existing stable  modlist, and testing them in newprofile. 

When I selected the option to use local profile saves for newprofile, all the default profile saves were removed from it.  I was hoping to copy one of the early saves in the default profile to newprofile by using the transfer button, however, it was either all or none, e.g. I couldn't see  an option to transfer only one save, or select one save from the global list.

At this point, decided I'd transfer them all to new profile, and run a few tests using an early save in the list, with the idea of not touching any of the other saves, then transferring the saves back to the default profile. 

However, when in the transfer menu I mistakenly selected the move option instead of copy, and now when I attempt to move and/or copy them back to the global section, so they can be seen in the default profile again, a cryptic warning appears stating performing this action will  cause problems with the save order, or something close to that.  

Since  this is the first time using the transfer saves function in MO2, and not being real sure of what is happening with respect to the other profiles when transferring the saves, I decided to hold off on attempting to get the original saves of the default profile to show up in the default profile again until I could find some guidance from others who are familiar with using the transfer saves function.

Any guidance on the best way to get the moved saves back into the default profile, and what the significance of the warning message shown when trying to move the saves out of the local saves now in newprofile are appreciated.

Thanks,

4 answers to this question

How did you install MO? We recommend using the 'Instances' method as described here. This method installs a single MO application into:

%LOCALAPPDATA%%\ModOrganizer

... and keeps all save games under a common path:

..\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Saves\

If you did a portable install, then you have multiple MO instances by game installed wherever you chose. I haven't run portable in a long time, but I think you would get save games in something like:

%LOCALAPPDATA%%\ModOrganizer\{GameNameLocation}\profiles\{ProfileName}\saves\

Given this information, you should be able to at least find your save games and copy them into the desired profile(s)

EDIT: Steam also has an option to store your save in the cloud (I don't use it):

image.png

39 minutes ago, z929669 said:

How did you install MO? We recommend using the 'Instances' method as described here. This method installs a single MO application into:

%LOCALAPPDATA%%\ModOrganizer

... and keeps all save games under a common path:

..\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Saves\

If you did a portable install, then you have multiple MO instances by game installed wherever you chose. I haven't run portable in a long time, but I think you would get save games in something like:

%LOCALAPPDATA%%\ModOrganizer\{GameNameLocation}\profiles\{ProfileName}\saves\

Given this information, you should be able to at least find your save games and copy them into the desired profile(s)

EDIT: Steam also has an option to store your save in the cloud (I don't use it):

image.png

Hello,

Thank for the quick response.  My MO2 installation follows the instances example in the link included in your reply, except it was done in a second "D" drive used for gaming files.  I'll verify the saves are there and then copy them to the default profile from newprofile.

Being new to copying saves between profiles, I'm not clear what the interaction is between the saves copied between profiles. When a save is copied to a different profile, is it a stand alone new save local to only that profile, or are the original saves copied still connected to the new copies.   

The reason I'm asking is to find out if running additional play throughs in newprofile,  and updating a copied save in newprofile with game progress obtained using a modified version of the original modlist will somehow affect the original profile saves they were copied from. 

Based on the recommendation in your reply,  my feel is the copies are new stand alone versions, but wanted to ensure they weren't processed within MO2 as links to the original saves, and save changes in one profile changed the save in the original profile they came from.

Sorry if this isn't worded clearly, or if I'm missing a basic property of using MO2  profiles, but I've learned to be careful, since  even a slight misunderstanding of mods && || mod tools has cost me hours of troubleshooting or full restores.

32 minutes ago, mm_half said:

Hello,

Thank for the quick response.  My MO2 installation follows the instances example in the link included in your reply, except it was done in a second "D" drive used for gaming files.  I'll verify the saves are there and then copy them to the default profile from newprofile.

Being new to copying saves between profiles, I'm not clear what the interaction is between the saves copied between profiles. When a save is copied to a different profile, is it a stand alone new save local to only that profile, or are the original saves copied still connected to the new copies.   

The reason I'm asking is to find out if running additional play throughs in newprofile,  and updating a copied save in newprofile with game progress obtained using a modified version of the original modlist will somehow affect the original profile saves they were copied from. 

Based on the recommendation in your reply,  my feel is the copies are new stand alone versions, but wanted to ensure they weren't processed within MO2 as links to the original saves, and save changes in one profile changed the save in the original profile they came from.

Sorry if this isn't worded clearly, or if I'm missing a basic property of using MO2  profiles, but I've learned to be careful, since  even a slight misunderstanding of mods && || mod tools has cost me hours of troubleshooting or full restores.

The save games are just files like any other with created/modified timestamps in Windows. Each has data pertaining to the state of the game at the time, and doesn't change. New saves will not overwrite the old ones unless you save over an existing one in game. It is the same exact file with same file hash as previously.

If your load order changes in a different profile, the save data may or may not be compatible, so the only sure way to ensure save compatibility is to not change the copied profile at all. Either way, those are your saves, and you will have lost nothing.

I don't really use the copy saves procedure and have not had any issues when I did use it once or twice. I tend to situate things manually so I know what is what for myself.

I've never used the transfer saves feature either. Most of the time I just configure a new profile to use profile-instance saves and start a new game. On rare occasions I'll set a new profile to use profile-instance saves and then copy the save I want to replicate into the new profile. Where you put it should be relatively obvious once you are looking at %LOCALAPPDATA%\ModOrganizer. Getting into C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local can be a pain since Microsoft created AppData as hidden folder. The easy way is to open File Explorer and type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar.