Downgrading and the STEP Guides, how to integrate everything?

Recently I downloaded Skyrim again after 4 years and the whole SE vs AE is kinda confusing. From what I can tell, a lot of people advise to use the downgrade patcher to get the best of both worlds. All of the mods from SE, and all of the content from AE. Sounds good, but since I always follow the STEP guide as a basis for my modding it does leave me wondering:

1. How do I integrate the patcher into the STEP Guide; do I downgrade first, then follow a STEP Guide? Or can I just downgrade whenever I want?
  2. What is the best STEP guide to follow if I downgrade to version 1.5.97?
  3. And how do I tell if a mod works for 1.5.97, 1.6.xxx or it doesn't matter?

Still on the fence about downgrading at all. Yet people make it sound very easy and appealing, like there is little downside. And I figured I might as well ask now, before going through the entire guide and realising I have to start all over again.

9 hours ago, Kirsid said:

Recently I downloaded Skyrim again after 4 years and the whole SE vs AE is kinda confusing. From what I can tell, a lot of people advise to use the downgrade patcher to get the best of both worlds. All of the mods from SE, and all of the content from AE. Sounds good, but since I always follow the STEP guide as a basis for my modding it does leave me wondering:

1. How do I integrate the patcher into the STEP Guide; do I downgrade first, then follow a STEP Guide? Or can I just downgrade whenever I want?

Still on the fence about downgrading at all. Yet people make it sound very easy and appealing, like there is little downside. And I figured I might as well ask now, before going through the entire guide and realising I have to start all over again.

The most current Step guide (v2.1.0) only supports the Anniversary Edition of SE.  The Anniversary Upgrade DLC includes all of the CC content.

Just my opinion, but I feel it would be better to downgrade before running through the Step guide just in case it does anything to the files you need to clean per the Step guide.

I downgraded using the Full Patcher.  I was reluctant to try the Best of Both Worlds version.  Seems like asking for trouble.  The following excerpt is taken directly from the mods description page...

Q: I used the "Best of Both Worlds" Patcher and now I can't move with the keyboard, or in the menus!
A: There's a strange conflict with this patcher and lightly modded setups, I recommend some sort of main menu replacer like Clean Menu to override these files and fix the issue.

Edited by Kattmandu

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, Kirsid said:

Answering #3 (I think?): https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins